DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

Warning Long winded rant coming: Seeing Jim Cornette once again decry a wrestler, in this case Jon Murray, for exposing the business and damning Impact to hell for supporting it in any way is tiresome. I'm sorry to me the only thing the business needs protection from is carny conmen hucksters who have always treated the fans as rubes who need to be lied to and tricked out of their money. That old school kayfabe relationship showed absolute disrespect to the fans. The marks that needed to be manipulated and suckered so they could be squeezed for every penny in their pocket. It's art. It takes all forms and can be appreciated and judged and you can choose to watch or not. One comedy spot on one show does not destroy the business or take money out of your hand Jim. Because I know that is all you care about is the money. Now of course that should be a motivating factor, but to have it be the ONLY factor cheapens this artform just like it would any other. I will take a lot of the current promotions and wrestlers who appreciate the fans and want them to have fun and enjoy themselves and get lost in the wrestling, in all it's forms, for a little while over that old mentality. To take them on a journey of escapism and tell them a story and do it however they want to do it. Stop trying to fit wrestling in the box you were taught it fits in by carpetbagging con artists and flim flam men. It's better than that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm not a fan of "art" and "artform" arguments. But other than that good rant.

Also I'm not sure if doing things that were shown in that twitter is fundamentally different to whole "we are real gangztaz that fight for territory by competing in tag team matches" stuff or Lucha Underground inspired edgy/supernatural arcs that Impact is now doing. Neither of those things make it look "legit", but Cornette tends to complain only about comedy and fun spots.

• Like 1

IMPACT WRESTLING ANNOUNCES NEW TELEVISION AGREEMENT, LEAVING POP TV
By Dave Scherer on 2018-12-21 10:16:00
Impact Wrestling sent us the following.  It's a Christmas Miracle!

MPACT Wrestling and Pursuit Channel Announce Broadcast Agreement to Televise IMPACT! Nationally Across the U.S.

IMPACT! to Premiere Weekly on Fridays at 10:00 p.m. ET on Pursuit Channel, Starting on Jan. 11

TORONTO | LUVERNE – IMPACT Wrestling, a subsidiary of Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp., announced today it has entered into an agreement to broadcast its flagship weekly two-hour program IMPACT! nationally across the U.S. on Pursuit Channel, the most widely distributed outdoor network and one of the fastest growing channels in the country.

Beginning on Friday, Jan. 11, featuring the aftermath of Homecoming, IMPACT Wrestling’s first marquee pay-per-view event of the year, IMPACT! will air weekly on Pursuit Channel on Friday nights at 10:00 p.m. ET.

“Pursuit Channel is a natural fit for IMPACT!” said Ed Nordholm, president of IMPACT Wrestling. “It has a passionate viewership base that correlates strongly with our core audience, and is one of the few broadcast destinations that is expanding its footprint, enjoying a 15% increase in broadcast distribution this year alone. With IMPACT Wrestling coming off a tremendous year of audience growth globally and positive fan engagement, we look forward to leveraging our respective resources to bring fans more of the wrestling content they want to see: tougher, edgier action.”

“Pursuit Channel is pleased to welcome IMPACT Wrestling into our Friday night lineup of popular shows,” said Rusty Faulk, CEO and founder of Pursuit Channel. “IMPACT Wrestling programming is perfect for our audience, which enjoys adventurous content to feed their wild side. We look forward to a long partnership and providing our fans with new and exciting world-class content while expanding IMPACT Wrestling’s audience to a new base.”

Showcasing top professional wrestling stars such as IMPACT World Champion Johnny Impact, who starred in the most recent season of the hit CBS show Survivor, plus Brian Cage, Eli Drake, Moose, Eddie Edwards, Sami Callihan, Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Rich Swann, the high-flying X-Division and the Knockouts, including Champion Tessa Blanchard, Taya Valkyrie, Rosemary, Allie and Su Yung, IMPACT! has been a leading destination for professional wrestling fans, televised globally in 120 countries since its inception in 2002, while growing its popularity and reach on YouTube, Twitch, Pluto and social media platforms.

For more information, visit www.impactwrestling.com and www.pursuitchannel.com.

Just now, Raziel said:

What the hell is Pursuit Channel?  Even when i had cable, I don't recall that existing.

It is a hardcore Outdoor Network - when you got their website it is nothing but hunting shows.

They have no agreement with Xfinity/Comcast so I officially no longer get Impact

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

'Fastest Growing' is code for 'nobody has ever heard of it'.

Oh yeah

According to their website it is Cox, AT&T, CenturyLink, Dish, DirecTV, Fios

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is a hardcore Outdoor Network - when you got their website it is nothing but hunting shows.

They have no agreement with Xfinity/Comcast so I officially no longer get Impact

I'm in the same boat so this sucks.  I don't even know why they're putting this on some outdoor network.  Even though nobody knew of Pop at least it kind of made sense with all the other stuff they had on.  This just seems all kinds of weird.  And I'm hoping there's some way to still catch the episodes that supports them.  I hope they are able to do what MLW does and have their shows on Youtube not long after it airs on BEIN.  When you're on a small-time network there's no reason not to get as much exposure as possible despite the channel.

It's like Destination America all over again. Except if it's a hunting channel, you're going to get boycotts from the gun control lobby.

There's a reason why the UFC stopped referring to MMA as the Fastest Growing sport in the World. It's not because the popularity plateaued, it's because it was making them look small time. And because Soccer was adding more fans year on year than MMA was. International birth rates and that.

Something that kind of bums me out is that if not for stake in the channel Impact would have nowhere to go.  They technically could have stayed with Pop until a new deal came through.  But if that took awhile then even Pop might have dropped them.  I wish they tried again for another network as I know there were off an on talks going on.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's not on Optimum either, which I have.

Now, this might be a dumb question. Anthem owns the Fight Network and Impact, so why wouldn't Anthem air new Impact's on the Fight Network? They air older TNA shows and best of's. Not to mention also airing Smash Wrestling, Championship Wrestling fron Hollywood, and Fighting Spirit Wrestling, which shows matches from New Japan and AAA. They used to also air British Wrestling Weekly and Scotland's ICW.