DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

12 minutes ago, Archibald said:

When such things happen I always wonder if Impact knew/suspected this and thats why he was essentially a jobber or did he decide to leave because he was treated like a jobber.

In this case - it appears he gave them plenty of notice so it does come across as the former in this case

Shame Trevor has left, he was always enjoyable in Impact.  Says a lot about his character that even when he was jobbed out he was still entertaining and putting on good matches.   I noticed the Rascalz on this weeks show so will assume they will fill the Trevor Lee spot to an extent.

• Like 2

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1021853-impact-wrestling-talks-new-tv-deal

IMPACT Wrestling Reportedly In Talks With Several Networks For New TV Deal

According to PWTorch  IMPACT Wrestling is in talks with SyFy, TruTV and WGN for a television deal.

Mike McMahon and Andrew Soucek discussed the IMPACT Wrestling television situation and revealed that a source within Anthem Sports and Entertainment said that IMPACT Wrestling was trying to get their spot back on primetime but Pop TV wouldn’t give it to them. The source also said that IMPACT Wrestling is in discussions with several networks including TruTV, WGN, and SyFy.

IMPACT Wrestling is trying to make a move from Pop TV and secure a deal with another network. If they can’t, they will stay on the late night timeslot on Pop TV.

POP TV is also reportedly looking to air Aro Lucha. The network aired commercials for this promotion during IMPACT. IMPACT’s contract with POP ends at the end of this year and they’re reportedly likely to stay with POP through the first part of the next year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

If SyFy picks them up then that might be the greatest thing ever.

”Uh oh Josh, we know who that is.... that’s THE WALKER”

Zombie gets “you still got it” chants.

The guy playing the ECW Zombie died three years ago, so if he were to show up on Impact, that would be an impressive commitment to kayfabing a gimmick.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So the Rascalz team of Desmond Xaiver, Zachary Wentz, and i think Trey Miguel is basically the 2018 version of Special K ?

Special K were rich kid, ravers spending their parents money on drugs. I mean, they were called Special K. Special K is ketamine. There were members with non-weed related names, like Angeldust and Yeyo.

The Rascalz seem more like just potheads that would get stoned, order Domino's, and watch a lot of tv.

I tried K once. I did way too much because I was told it was coke. This when I was much younger and not as drug saavy. I didn't enjoy it.

https://www.prowrestling.com/groin-injury-takes-top-impact-wrestling-mlw-star-out-of-action-for-the-rest-of-2018/

Impact Wrestling and MLW superstar Rey Fenix confirmed via Instagram post this morning that he is currently dealing with a groin injury that will sideline him for the remainder of 2018. He has already informed promoters that he will not be fulfilling his current bookings for the month of December.

Luckily, if there is such a thing as a “good time” to have a relatively minor injury, it’s the month of December. Fenix is currently in line for a big tag team title push alongside his brother, Pentagon Jr., for Impact Wrestling. They will challenge for the titles at the Impact Homecoming PPV on 1/6, but all the television leading up to that show has already been taped.

The one thing Fenix’s groin injury may effect is the upcoming MLW television tapings in Miami. He and Pentagon are the current MLW World Tag Team Champions, having recently defended the belts against LA Park and El Hijo de LA Park in Chicago.

https://www.prowrestling.com/backstage-news-on-impact-wrestling-pulling-lax-from-upcoming-match-against-nxt-superstars/

As previously reported, the tag team of Santana and Ortiz (collectively known as LAX) were pulled from the upcoming EVOLVE shows this December, where they were scheduled to compete in a six-man tag team match against The Street Profits.

According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the decision was made by Impact officials because they did not want their current world tag team champions wrestling against, and potentially losing to NXT Superstars (the Street Profits are also the EVOLVE Tag Team Champions), especially due to the event being broadcast live.

Furthermore, apparently Impact at this point considers EVOLVE to be close enough to a WWE product that it just doesn’t make sense to have two of their top stars working on a show that may at some point end up on the WWE Network. It has been rumored for a very long time that the company may be opening up a more expensive tier of their Network which would allegedly include content from independent promotions they are partnered with.

I can understand the rationale behind it.  But if that's the case then I can't help but wonder why they were announced/booked in the first place.  It's one thing if it was never announced, but to advertise something then take it away is not a good look for them.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 3:19 AM, Ultimo Necro said:

Nicholas needs ring time that’s for sure, he’s tagging with Onita v Nick Gage & David Arquette at Janela’s spring break... probably

Nicholas sucks. He's in the business because of his father. The kid can't work, can't talk, his look sucks. He's another David Sammartino in the making. Izzy deserves that spot. She's been busting her ass on the indies, improving her game while Nicholas just waltzes into a WWE gig and title match at WM.

• Like 3

https://www.prowrestling.com/wwn-releases-heated-statement-on-lax-being-pulled-from-upcoming-evolve-shows-will-no-longer-book-impact-wrestling-talent/

WWN sent out an email Friday afternoon to officially confirm news that broke earlier this week — that Impact Wrestling World Tag Team Champions LAX have been pulled from this December’s EVOLVE events due to political reasons between the two promotions.

LAX were originally announced to face NXT Superstars The Street Profits (also the EVOLVE Tag Team Champions) in two different matches, one a triple threat tag team match, and the other a six-man tag team match, after Impact management allegedly demanded that their champions “not be allowed to lose” in their matches.

Plans were made to protect both EVOLVE, NXT and Impact politically, which generally means that other people were inserted into the bout(s) so that neither of the parties in question had to actually suffer the loss. However, after  waiting for EVOLVE to officially announce the matches to the public, Impact pulled their talent from both shows.

The email specifically states that whole situation “could have easily been avoided by not allowing LAX to take the dates in the first place”, and claims that they will “no longer consider booking Impact Wrestling talent moving forward.”

https://411mania.com/wrestling/impact-wrestling-news-no-end-date-planned-pop-tv-deal-lineup-next-weeks-episode/

PWInsider reports that there is no end date set for Impact Wrestling’s run on POP TV. While the deal officially ends on December 31, Impact and POP will continue working together while Impact looks for a new TV home in the US. Josh Mathews didn’t comment on the change during a media call yesterday. He said the worry used to be on if Impact would still be around but now they are past that (with Anthem owning the company) and everyone would find out the next TV home together.

https://www.sescoops.com/update-on-njpw-blocking-wrestlers-from-appearing-for-impact-wrestling/

Don Callis and Impact Wrestling would love to bring in some of the top-talent from NJPW to their promotion. While it’s likely some in-roads have been made with Callis serving as English color commentator, it appears NJPW still isn’t budging. NJPW has talent sharing agreements in place with ROH & CMLL and apparently, they aren’t adding more North American promotions to the fold.

“(NJPW) didn’t use guys like Brian Cage and John Morrison because they were Impact guys,” Dave Meltzer wrote in the Wrestling Observer. “And stopped some of their own talent from working Impact.”

There have been rumblings in the past that some members of the NJPW roster were upset they weren’t allowed to work for Impact but who those wrestlers are is unconfirmed. As for Brian Cage and Johnny Impact, they were both said to be interested in working for the promotion but NJPW decided against it due to their status with Impact.

As crazy as it might sound I don’t think New Japan guys in Impact is the right fit and while I get why Callis wants to bring guys in I’m not sure it will work.  I compare Impact to a cartoony / arcadey video game that’s fun, simple and not too much depth.  While NJPW has a way more technical, complex way of doing things, RoH is a far better fit for them at this point in time.

When Impact had the Noah deal I didn’t think Ishimori or Marufuji, despite being great to watch, ever really fit on Impact.

Where as Garza Jr was in around the same time he fit almost perfectly, fun gimmick, great in ring and a ton of personality, I wish Impact would bring him back!

edit - Garza Jr signed for NXT? Bah, he’ll be part of the 3,500 workers signed to NXT that we hardly see.