DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

Also in the positive reviews - here is how Meltzer started the recap of the show in the newest WON

Impact Wrestling celebrated 17 years of being in business with its Slammiversary show on 7/22 at the Rebel Complex in Toronto, with the first of three days of tapings.

At times, they were barely in business. Even now, they are just running television tapings and working with smaller companies to book their talent.

In a sense, 2018 has been a struggle, but it has to be considered a positive year. For years, TNA Impact, even when it had more than a million viewers weekly on Spike TV, had a very negative reputation with the wrestling fans base. The company squandered great opportunities, made all kinds of bad decisions, and had to be saved time after time with a last minute cash influx to avoid closing up after the Carter family would no longer fund Dixie Carter’s tens of millions of dollars in losses any longer.

The new version of the company, headed by Ed Nordholm, Don Callis and Scott D’Amore, with Sonjay Dutt as the key when it comes to talent and creative, and a strong production crew, has in less than seven months, at least removed much of the negative stigma that has engulfed the company.

In a crowded wrestling landscape, that is hardly enough. But it is impressive they’ve turned that aspect around so quickly. Slammiversary was one of the best received major shows of the year, an easy-to-watch three hours that never felt long and featured a wide variety of styles.

• Like 5

https://411mania.com/wrestling/konnan-praises-impact-wrestling/

Konnan Heavily Praises Impact Wrestling for Turning Things Around, How Management Treats Talents Differently Now, and How Slammiversary XVI Was a Great Show

During his latest Keepin It 100 podcast, Konnan had high praise for Impact Wrestling and Slammiversary XVI

Konnan on how Impact Wrestling turned things around: “What was amazing to me was that when the Hardy Boyz left and Jeremy Borash left, I was like, ‘Wow man, this place is gonna be f***ed’, you know what I’m saying? That’s a big loss. But they just put it all together.”

Konnan on the last Impact Wrestling show:“(The Impact Wrestling episode) that was two weeks ago, I thought that show, I don’t watch all the Impacts because I don’t have time, but I just happened to catch the one two weeks ago and I just thought it was phenomenal, and I was talking to a couple of wrestlers that watch the show and they were saying the same thing, because all the video packages were good, the verbage like you said was very realistic, the in-ring was great and you got the pay off in Slammiversary. They continued the great angles, they had the great matches. It’s really cool right now, everybody kinda knows there’s a little buzz about us. But that’s the main problem that we’ve got that studio audience. But some people may overlook that and say, ‘F*** the audience. We like the storylines and the action.'”

Konnan on Impact leaving Orlando: “And the other thing that we did a great job of is we got the f*** out of Orlando. So we’re in Toronto, then we’re going to go to New York, and the place we’re going to in New York is the same place MLW went to in Queens and you wouldn’t believe the energy in that place. It was f***ing ridiculous, and we’re gonna go there now, Impact, and we’ve got a real big surprise with LAX that’s gonna go over f***ing huge in New York.”

Konnan on management treating talents differently: “So it’s a real cool time to be on… it’s fun, bro. It’s very fun right now. Because a lot of the people that are running these companies are not old school grizzled vets, ‘F*** you, you can’t do this and you can’t do that.’ You know what I’m saying? That stick for the room and all that old school s*** we went through, everybody now they’re mostly fanboys, so they respect the wrestlers instead of trying to f*** them over in general. And everybody knows that now, you’ve gotta just treat people with respect and gotta treat them right, you can’t treat them the way they used to treat us.”

His thoughts on Slammiversary XVI: “That PPV was incredible, bro. I think Fenix might have been the guy that came away with probably the most buzz. I haven’t read all of social media, but I think Fenix showed everybody why he is one of the greatest wrestlers in the world right now, and that match was incredible to begin with. So that match was great, Ishimori was great, Morrison was great and when Rich Swann wasn’t in it because he got hurt in MLW, I thought I wasn’t sure if Petey was able to fill in that hole but Petey did a great job. The Tommy Dreamer match with Eddie Edwards was great, the storyline was great, the match was great, LAX was great. It was just a great show. Penta and Sami great match also. I think Impact showed it right now it’s got a lot of talent, management is real cool, it’s real easy to work with Sonjay and Scott and Don, they let you collaborate. It’s a real chill atmosphere backstage, because if you’re management and you’re a d*** and you disrespect the wrestlers like I’ve seen done throughout my whole career and Disco’s seen it himself, it trickles through the morale and through the whole character of the locker room. When the locker room is like it is right now where it’s very easy to talk to management and they let you collaborate and everybody’s joking around and having a good time, like the locker room’s real relaxed right now and everybody’s pulling together to really make this work. I thought that was a great PPV. I saw every single match and I thought it was really good.”

• Like 6

https://411mania.com/wrestling/impact-wrestling-trying-strengthen-relationships-partner-promotions/

Impact Wrestling Trying to Strengthen Relationships With Partner Promotions

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Impact Wrestling is trying to strengthen their alliances with AAA, Lucha Underground, and House of Hardcore moving forward.

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/wwe-is-interested-in-two-top-stars-from-impact-wrestling-lucha-underground/

WWE is interested in two top stars from Impact Wrestling/Lucha Underground

In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, it was reported that WWE has made overtures about getting Pentagon Jr. and his brother Fenix. They have lit up the independent scene this year so it’s no surprise to see that WWE wants them.

Don’t expect them to go anywhere soon because the word on them is that they still have three seasons left on their Lucha Underground deals. As part of a partnership with Lucha Underground, both of them have been working for Impact Wrestling

Dave Meltzer noted that both of them are two of the key guys on the independent scene right now.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/new-details-don-callis-got-hired-impact-wrestling/

New Details on How Don Callis Got Hired by Impact Wrestling

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the reason that Don Callis was brought in to run the company is because Leonard Asper of the Asper family, which owns The Fight Network, Impact and tons of things in Winnipeg, had a conversation with Chris Jericho about how the company has lost so much money and had so many problems. Jericho told him that Impact had been run by snakes and that those type of people are only going to rip him off, and suggested his friend Don Callis for the job.

• Like 3

The ratings completely tanked this week.

While the show is fine, its far from must see and not particularly creative. Its a very simple wrestling show that people won’t really go out of there way to watch.

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

The ratings completely tanked this week.

While the show is fine, its far from must see and not particularly creative. Its a very simple wrestling show that people won’t really go out of there way to watch.

The ratings have always sucked on Pop.

Callis > Corgan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zartan said:

The ratings have always sucked on Pop.

Callis > Corgan

Well those two contradict each other since Corgan’s shows we’re getting better ratings. 

He did have bigger names tho. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:15 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

See what being rid of Jeff Jarrett, Dixie Carter, Vince Russo, Bruce Pritchard, John Gaburick, the TNA and GFW names can do for a company.

Imagine the current regime 10-12 years ago with a roster that included AJ, Samoa Joe, Alex Shelley, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin, Jay Lethal, Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, etc.

So... the last time they had Scott D'Amore. 

Per todays Observer:

In the conversation mentioned last week with Chris Jericho and Leonard Asper, he actually spoke to Asper about both Don Callis and Scott D’Amore being the people he should put in charge. D’Amore was already with the company because Jeff Jarrett had brought him back when Jarrett got control. While nobody will say anything, there is a lot of belief within the business than Jericho is destined to be here and the not wanting to do anything that would get Vince mad doctrine isn’t nearly as strong as it was months ago

Let the wild speculation begin!!!!!!!

Aries on top feels too much like old TNA.  Even though he was there before he was still a guy fresh off being released from WWE coming in and immediately winning the World Title while cutting whiny promos.

I know it was just because Alberto flaked but Pentagon as champ felt like a big step forward but he didn't even make it out of his first set of tapings with the belt.  I think Penta vs. Callihan at Slammiversary for the title would've meant more than having to build up that greasy muskrat corpse on Callihan's head as having any value to anyone.

I've said Moose should be their guy but they had Aries cut him down verbally and then beat him in front of his mother.  Callis was looking real orange that day too, brother.

I know they think Cage is the guy but I'm not feeling it.  He feels like if you took Big Poppa Pump's crazy physique but kept young Scott Steiner's crazy athleticism but then subtracted all the crazy intensity.  So he just comes off like a big guy doing moves with no emotion behind them.

Kross at least has the crazy intensity.  And he understands that there is no continuity as you can tell by the crowd changing between segments.  Only May ham.

I don't get this Eddie Edwards' character at all.  I didn't want the old Tommy Dreamer much less a new one.  That whole feud was for a stick.  The man almost lost his eye and all he got was a stick.  That's not even Dreamer's gimmick to give away.  I think instead of Moose and Dreamer, Edwards should've gotten Shark Boy and New Jack to help him fight OVE.  Shark Boy tried to drown Josh Mathews and you know New Jack wouldn't stop Edwards from killing Callihan in the woods.  But I guess zombie Callihan is Lucha Underground's gimmick.

• Like 5