DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

On 7/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, J.T. said:

Which means they will probably put the title on her at some point, meaning that Su Yung will probably drop the belt to Madison at Slammiversary and Allie & Tessa will brawl for #1 Contendership.

Impact has done an admirable job of shifting the KO Title picture around after Rosemary's ACL injury at the hands of Shitty Star..

I'd love a super long Su reign that leads to the eventual Rosemary showdown when possible, but I do see Tessa winning it this year and they have done a great job building Madison back up. I hope if Madison loses, she still sticks around as a regular since they kept bringing up how she didn't come back this time to wrestle and all. I like that they have several solid options anyways.

26 minutes ago, dokdoyle said:

Impact made it to ESPN with the  Segment with the football player making it to Bomani Jones and Pablo Torres' s shpw High Noon.  They dropped the Impact name a bunch of times while watching and reacting to the video.

That's awesome. Impact getting some of that mainstream press. DeAngelo got a lot of huge praise for his match last year so I hope he ends up doing more

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It has come out that Sienna is no longer with the company and she decided to not resign with Impact

I always loved seeing Sienna in Impact while bummed and not surprised considering she hasn't been on TV in a long time.  It's a shame because they really have some great women that she could work with if she stayed on board.

• Like 1

Some people are making the leap that she will be in the MYC but I don't see it as I still don't think she has had a match since her health scare and I am not sure if the WWE would clear her (at least not right now)

Impact announced that they are moving their U.K. and Ireland television from 5-Spike to Showcase. The show will air at 1 a.m. late Thursday night, the same time it airs in the U.S., with later prime-time replays at 9 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday night. The prime time aspect is a plus as the show on 5-Spike started airing on Fridays at 9 p.m., a good time slot, but was moved to 10 p.m. and then 11 p.m. The positive is the earlier in the week showing, simultaneous to North America for the first time. The negative is Showcase is a much less widely viewed station than 5-Spike. The Fight Network in Canada, from the same company that owns Impact, reached a deal with Showcase, which is now airing wrestling blocks most nights of the week, airing a lot of historical TNA programming as well as Smash Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, both of which are already on the channel. On 9/19, Showcase will be airing two hours of classic Wrestling at the Chase from St. Louis footage of the glory days at 9 p.m. Fight Network programming will air at 9 p.m. nightly on Showcase, with the shows pushed being Impact, Ultimate Challenge MMA (a London-based promotion), Abu Dhabi Grand Slam (coverage of the biggest submission events), WGP Kickboxing (a Brazilian kickboxing promotion), Wrestling at the Chase and historical TNA footage including the British Boot Camp reality show which featured Marty Scurll, Rockstar Spud and Grado before they became stars. The Fight Network purchased a few years of Chase footage in the early 80s, the little that has survived (the rest, like almost all the territorial footage of the era, was taped over), at the end of the Sam Muchnick era of the show from Larry Matysik after WWE didn’t make a significant offer for the footage. Given the deal appears to be a partnership with The Fight Network, and on a smaller channel, while the time slot better services the hardcore viewer, it’s not as good overall, plus the rights fees are likely not going to be the same. Showcase was described as a channel that nobody has really ever heard or watches. For the week ending 7/8, the highest rated show on the station, which was a karate tournament, did 7,000 viewers which means the wrestling it currently airs does less than that. Impact did 142,000 viewers on 5-Spike for the 1/12 show, which is far more than Raw and Smackdown do, but since then has not been among the top ten shows on the station. The change is part of the bigger picture deal where Fight Network is getting into the U.K. market and using Impact as its flagship show. Impact had a lucrative paying deal with Challenge from 2011 until it was canceled, where it was the most-watched wrestling show in the country during its entire stay on the channel, to being on a channel nobody watches. The 5-Spike deal was said to not be that lucrative. 5-Spike is still set to show Impact this week and the start date on Showcase hasn’t been announced

https://411mania.com/wrestling/details-jeff-cobb-choosing-roh-impact-wrestling/

Details on Jeff Cobb Choosing ROH Over Impact Wrestling

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Jeff Cobb starts with ROH this weekend. The site reports that Cobb chose ROH over Impact because he loves working for New Japan and with ROH he can get off if New Japan wants him for a tour. Impact Wrestling would also work with him in that regard, but with Impact, their TV tapings are first priority if you sign a deal with them.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also apparently Impact wanted to bring PCO in just for the next tapings to put over Brian Cage but PCO turned them down

Good for PCO. He's worth more than just to put over Brian Cage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wee Bey said:

Cobb will be fine in ROH because he works for New Japan. If he were being brought in as an ROH talent, he'd be fucked and Delirious would have no idea how to use him. 

The way it is worded it looks to me like Cobb kinda sees it as an opportunity to get more NJPW dates and not that he has anything offered at the moment.

It is also weird that distinction is made between Impact and RoH in a sense that Impact wants their tapings to be the priority. So its like, you can work with RoH, but if NJPW calls you can skip their tapings/shows? Sounds weird.

IMPACT announced a few matches with local guys for the upcoming TV tapings. Actually, to be precise they had SMASH and Destiny Wrestling announce them, which I thought was kind of neat. I'm guessing these are Xplosion matches, but still it's always cool to see local talent being thrown into the mix.

wBJcQ6K.jpg

• Like 1

Moose apparently suffered a concussion during the PPV and is suffering from vertigo.

It is unknown if he will miss all of the tapings or not

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2018/0725/644143/don-callis-talks-impact-wrestling-having-clean-finishes-in-ppv/

Don Callis Talks Impact Wrestling Having Clean Finishes In PPV Main Events

Don Callis hosted the Killing The Town podcast after Slammiversary and interviewed IMPACT World Champion Austin Aries.

Callis on Austin Aries vs Moose:

"It reminded me a lot, and this is one of the reasons why when we booked this, of course this comes up, 'well, you know, straight wrestling match'. For me, and I tend to put things into an ECW context because that's kind of my background. I'm like 'Austin Aries is Shane Douglas'. Amidst all the chaos and all the craziness, a great professional wrestler goes in, outwrestles his opponent and wins. That's what Shane used to do. And you know he would use like tables here and there or whatever but sure, that was the thing, and it worked. Now you have to have a guy like you were Shane in his heyday to be able to pull that off. But I thought it delivered a 100% and I love the fact that you didn't have all the bells and whistles 'cause it was different. Because as you know when you have a card you don't want chocolate cake for every meal. You want to mix it up."

The main event following up two great matches:

"It is a good problem to have because you want people to leave and be brought back to, 'well this is great wrestling. This is athletic. This is psychology. This is all of that stuff.' And that by the way is the hardest thing to imitate or duplicate is what you guys do. You could have people go out and do hardcore matches, it wouldn't be as good as what we saw last night, but top flight, athletic wrestling is hard to duplicate."

The clean finish in the main event:

"That's the thing, as we're talking about this, if you're in that booking room, it's easy to go down the rabbit hole of 'well, we're gonna be sending people home unhappy because the heel's up, maybe we should do a screw finish' and when Scott and I came here in January, one of the things that we both felt very strongly about is clean finishes. Clean finishes and if people don't wanna do jobs, we're happy to have a discussion. But then that's just not gonna work here. My thing last night was, and even yesterday we're talking like 'well maybe we should have the thing' and I'm like 'No. He's the best wrestler in the world. He beat the guy with his finish. It's an athletic contest. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a great match that people will be happy to see.'"

The story they were telling with Moose:

"And it's the perfect example of when it's done right, everyone benefits. I think Moose benefited huge from that last night. He looked great. The story that we got to tell as announcers, because it's what you guys were painting out there is Moose literally went all in on everything, and maybe he took it a little far and did the Undertaker dive and crashed and burned. He went all in on that, he took a chance and the guy who's the smart veteran took advantage of that on the floor and it was too much to overcome. That's the sports story that people understand."

• Like 2

See what being rid of Jeff Jarrett, Dixie Carter, Vince Russo, Bruce Pritchard, John Gaburick, the TNA and GFW names can do for a company.

Imagine the current regime 10-12 years ago with a roster that included AJ, Samoa Joe, Alex Shelley, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin, Jay Lethal, Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1