DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

So apparently Impact is making sure to lock down Alberto el Patron, Eli Drake, and Evan Bourne to contracts and I have a legitimate question: Does anyone really enjoy Patron enough for him to be a top priority? I personally find him an instant channel changer but he’s always in demand so I must be missing something.

40 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

So apparently Impact is making sure to lock down Alberto el Patron, Eli Drake, and Matt Sydal to contracts and I have a legitimate question: Does anyone really enjoy Patron enough for him to be a top priority? I personally find him an instant channel changer but he’s always in demand so I must be missing something.

fixed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alberto's appeal to companies is that he could theoretically connect with the Latin American market, but I'm not a figures guy so I don't know if that's ever actually been the case anywhere he's worked. 

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Can all these dudes like Sami just go back to backyards and pummel each other for pennies? I was over the "hardcore" scene a decade ago.  TNA is the worst it's ever been and that's saying something. 

You really think so? I’ve enjoyed their shows in the last month 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, (BP) said:

Alberto's appeal to companies is that he could theoretically connect with the Latin American market, but I'm not a figures guy so I don't know if that's ever actually been the case anywhere he's worked. 

I mean I think it’s clear WWE doesn’t want him back given the Paige stuff and the fact that Almas is an infinitely better worker/personality. So he has no leverage for a better deal. 

Bought tickets to the Impact vs Lucha Underground Wrestlecon Show. It's to be my first Impact live event. They've gone to Kent Washington which is like 20 minutes from where I stay in Washington a handful of times in the past but of course I never went. And that's when they had the likes of AJ, Angle, Dudleys, Roode but I'm seeing them now in New Orleans.

Related to the Alberto news

By Mike Johnson on 2018-03-06 10:45:00
Former WWE, AAA and Impact Wrestling champion Alberto el Patron (fka Del Rio) was at WWE HQ in Stamford, CT last week, PWInsider.com has confirmed.   We are told Patron was in Stamford last Wednesday, filming interview material for an upcoming WWE project related to Rey Mysterio.   That would be the day he flew to Europe to make an appearance for Five Star Wrestling. 

While Patron was in Stamford, he also met with Vince McMahon, numerous sources have confirmed.  

The meeting with McMahon is very interesting, because, as I noted in my Elite audio update yesterday, there have been rumblings of late within WWE that McMahon was very much for Patron returning to the company, as he's always been extremely high on Patron as a performer and a character.   Patron left the company in September 2016 after requesting a release, at the time unhappy with where he had been slated within the company.

Patron has been with Impact Wrestling since March 2017 and his current deal with the company is slated to expire next month.  As reported yesterday on PWInsider.com, Impact management made it a priority over the weekend in Canada to meet with talents who's deals were coming close to expiring in order to negotiate new deals, including Patron, who by all accounts would be the biggest "name" talent in the company and likely the highest paid.  Impact sources yesterday noted that those conversations with all talents were positive and expressed hopes all, including Patron, would be inking new deals. 

Patron is scheduled to headline the 4/22 Impact Wrestling Redemption PPV, challenging champion Austin Aries.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Any discussion of Alberto needs this:

CroCop's look of pure disgust at the end of that fight just sells it.  He kicked Dos Caras Jr.so hard that when he woke up, he thought was a Mexican billionaire.

Oh, wait...

CroCop's mantra has always been right leg = hospital / left leg = cemetery, so Del Rio is lucky that Mirko's shin glanced off of his temple rather than landing flush against his neck.