DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Aces and Eights was an NWO redux by way of mimicking an FX show after its popularity had peaked. It sucked, but more importantly it became the central focal point of the promotion right after Aries and Roode had made it relevant again. From a booking perspective it's one of the biggest examples of TNA not being able to get out of their own way. 

Exactly. They'd just told their best story ever... And then they threw it away for Sins of NWO and to appease Jeff Hardy before his contract ended.

I am quite pleased to see they're airing older shows, right now Twitch has Final Resolution '05 with that awesomely insane Ultimate X match.  Only downside is this scratches my itch to watch older TNA and if they keep showing these I have no reason to spend $8 a month.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, (BP) said:

Aces and Eights was an NWO redux by way of mimicking an FX show after its popularity had peaked. It sucked, but more importantly it became the central focal point of the promotion right after Aries and Roode had made it relevant again. From a booking perspective it's one of the biggest examples of TNA not being able to get out of their own way. 

I think ripping off the biker culture was a good starting point as no one had previously successfully mined the well effectively.  I would agree it had some deadwood which would have been better served with some extras (like the Nation of Domination did when it went full Black Nationalist) than adding Bischoff and Brisco as working talent.  I think the MC subculture melds very well in a wrestling gang as having a Sgt at Arms as the head disciplinarian, having pledges as a angle to introduce characters, and using the 'Nomad' concept for one-off mercenaries to come in are all appropriate to wrestling storylines.  It could actually work through multiple promotions like the Bullet Club and be thematically consistent.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hania The Huntress has already been fired.

Per the newest WON - she was supposed to put over Su Yung in 90 seconds and refused

@J.T. will be distraught

I am sad beyond words. 

Silver lining:  I may still get my bloodsoaked Su Yung vs. Rosemary feud if they are booking Su to be a wrecking ball like that.

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hania The Huntress has already been fired.

Per the newest WON - she was supposed to put over Su Yung in 90 seconds and refused

@J.T. will be distraught

I normally would be against refusing to put someone over.  But if they were going to have her lose in 90 seconds without any plans of how it wouldn't mess things up for Hania then I can see why she wouldn't agree to that.   Silver lining for @J.T., at least she'll be on a few episodes which is better than nothing.

• Like 1

Clearly they saw Hania as somewhat of a lower tier knockout on the roster.  I don't know if I would put her on the level of an Ava Storie or the KC Spileni (misspelled I know) though.   She had a great look even when she was in Chikara but not sure she was technically on the level of top knockouts.  Especially Su. 

14 minutes ago, Shane said:

First thing I saw when I booted up the Twitch stream?

CHEEX

Not sure what it says about me that I instantly subscribed to the channel...

It's still going on and I'm happy as a clam to be seeing the Nashville shows on here.  I'm gonna have to subscribe to this also as this is bringing back memories.

Aw man, my daughter was big into Hania as Saturyne about three years ago.  Then we saw Chikara live, three shows before their shutdown.  My daughter was crushed that Saturyne had to return to her planet (see, I had developed a backstory for Saturyne and other characters so my daughter would let me watch wrestling instead of whatever fucking Disney XD show she was into at the time).

19 hours ago, hammerva said:

Clearly they saw Hania as somewhat of a lower tier knockout on the roster.  I don't know if I would put her on the level of an Ava Storie or the KC Spileni (misspelled I know) though.   She had a great look even when she was in Chikara but not sure she was technically on the level of top knockouts. 

Hania has put in some decent work in the Women of Honor stuff, so she's at least trusting and smart enough to allow herself to be led by a better worker like Mandy Leon, Tess Blanchard, or LuFisto..

She doesn't seem to mind jobbing as long as she's not made out to look like an idiot.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hania has put in some decent work in the Women of Honor stuff, so she's at least trusting and smart enough to allow herself to be led by a better worker like Mandy Leon, Tess Blanchard, or LuFisto..

She doesn't seem to mind jobbing as long as she's not made out to look like an idiot.

Wait, what?  Mandy?  Last I saw her she was stinking up the place.  And in her TV match against Hania it was Hania that looked a lot better in the match.  And if a trip to Stardom didn't help Mandy much then I'm not sure what will.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wait, what?  Mandy?  Last I saw her she was stinking up the place. 

Yeah, I was pretty distraught after seeing Mandy's decent matches with Hania from ROH / WOH and finding out from earlier work that Mandy was pretty horrible.

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I was pretty distraught after seeing Mandy's decent matches with Hania from ROH / WOH and finding out from earlier work that Mandy was pretty horrible.

Out of genuine curiosity Is there a recent match showing her as not horrible and being a good worker?  If so I'd be up for checking that out.

13 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Out of genuine curiosity Is there a recent match showing her as not horrible and being a good worker?  If so I'd be up for checking that out.

Her WOH matches with Hania and Stacy Shadows weren't that bad .  Mandy's WOH match with Taeler Hendrix OTOH was full of fail.

I expected her earlier LCW match with Deonna Purrazzo to be as passable as her more recent WOH match with Deonna Purrazzo, but it was not.

Her marginal improvement to the realm of not quite so shitty must be a recent thing since my main point of reference is her WOH work.

I will say that I don't particularly care for Mandy's nigh business exposing submission finisher.  Any ground grappler worth their salt should be able to pivot their hips and maneuver out of that Widow's Peak Chinlock Of Death she uses.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Her match with Io from last year's 5*GP was pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Her match with Io from last year's 5*GP was pretty good.

Just a wild guess but I think I see why it was pretty good.  It'd take a special level of incompetent to have a bad match against Io.  But I'll check it out if possible.

Oh, right, Impact.  I wonder how successful they're going to be with the Twitch partnership.  I can't see people getting the GWN service if they can see old stuff for free (not talking about me this time)  if they were going to do Twitch then maybe they could have done that for awhile before starting GWN.  As the service started up they could have shifted focus from showing older stuff to showing more updated footage.

But as it is the least they could do is advertise somewhere on the channel the GWN app.  As of right now there is nothing on there and it's one helluva missed opportunity.

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Just a wild guess but I think I see why it was pretty good.  It'd take a special level of incompetent to have a bad match against Io.  But I'll check it out if possible.

The match itself worked more because of the general story it followed with Io coming back from a neck injury and all of Mandy's offense being kind of perfect for working said neck over. Mandy did hold her own.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Watching Impact on Twitch and they are streaming No Surrender 2006. Why in the fuck did they book a match around Petey Williams having to take a shit? What is with wrestling and poop humor?

I've been busy at work otherwise I would have likely seen this.  But I'm glad I blocked that out of my mind.

I wonder if they keep showing old stuff like this if we should just have a separate thread for the Twitch stream.