DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Road Report?

I’ve been debating it but honestly do know how interesting it would be beyond “this match was awesome! This match was fun! I love NOVA Pro but they have some infuriating fans”

Well, Sound the Alarm is a fair bit better so I guess that works.  I'm not against a company using Rich but then again I don't really care what he does.  But if you're going to bring him in for a show then at least consider things like the title of the show.

Man if you ever want to trigger indie wrestling on twitter, this document is the perfect fuel to the fire.  Granted a PDF file is excessive as shit but you would thought people 1st amendment rights were being taken away because of this.     

DflyKkiXUAAKIsc.jpg

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man if you ever want to trigger indie wrestling on twitter, this document is the perfect fuel to the fire.  Granted a PDF file is excessive as shit but you would thought people 1st amendment rights were being taken away because of this.     DflyKkiXUAAKIsc.jpg

I literally just spent the last like 20 minutes trying to figure out what the fuck everyone was sub-tweeting about since no one wanted to name the show directly

I really want to support Chikara. I feel like I believe in what they do, and I'm happy to see them keeping going year after year. 

But I just can't watch their product. I try every once in awhile. Their streaming service is cheap enough and has a nice friendly free first week.

But tonight once again, I can only make it about 10 minutes - this time into the first show of 2018. They had a guy that was huge (by Chikara standards) booked as the face, against a guy that was a heck of a lot smaller. Not as extreme, but it would be as if Batista were the face and Rey were the heel back when they feuded. It just looked silly, and not in a so bad it's good way.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:06 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, Sound the Alarm is a fair bit better so I guess that works.  I'm not against a company using Rich but then again I don't really care what he does.  But if you're going to bring him in for a show then at least consider things like the title of the show.

Everybody who was bent out of shape about this seems to forget Kevin Sullivan works there. Hell. "All Violence Is Legal" is literally his catchphrase in the company.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 11:40 PM, Captain Kronos said:

I really want to support Chikara. I feel like I believe in what they do, and I'm happy to see them keeping going year after year. 

But I just can't watch their product. I try every once in awhile. Their streaming service is cheap enough and has a nice friendly free first week.

But tonight once again, I can only make it about 10 minutes - this time into the first show of 2018. They had a guy that was huge (by Chikara standards) booked as the face, against a guy that was a heck of a lot smaller. Not as extreme, but it would be as if Batista were the face and Rey were the heel back when they feuded. It just looked silly, and not in a so bad it's good way.

The shutdown really hurt them, in my opinion.  Bleeding indy superstars to WWE wasn't going to be good in the long run, but then they took an 8 month dirtnap and returned with none (or at least very few) of the players that were going to keep them afloat.  And now they're running their last* King of Trios?  Blam.

*So they say

• Like 1

I was so into Chikara prior to and during the BDK. Like Nate said, very few of the key players returning really hurt. Speaking of key players from the past, is Jigsaw still active or semi-active anywhere? I feel like I haven't seen his name anywhere in a long, long time.

Yeah...nevermind.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
because I'm an ass

I had no idea about the hiatus and loss of talent, but it makes sense. The show looks really nice, I admit. 

I dug into the roku app, and I found some of the old Best Of comps. There was a match with Sara Del Rey and Daizee vs Players Uno and Dos that was lower budget-looking and a lot more entertaining than the 2018 product. 

They also make some questionable booking decisions, because honestly, both Tim Donst and Mark Angelosetti should be former champions.  But no, Juan Francisco de Coronado is fine, just fine. 

• Like 1

RE: that PDF code of conduct thing. I don't see any problems with it. The first paragraph says its a benefit for a foster care program for kids. I can only imagine the range of possible issues/ challenges the children live with, and their (non-profit) mission to be inclusive goes towards supporting the kids first. Is this an irregular benefit show for them, or is it a regular environment they are wanting to cultivate within their shows? It doesn't matter, really. 

It never says "don't 'boo' the heels." It says don't demean fellow fans or the wrestlers with the specific intent on tearing down the performing effort and it's specific mystique. And it's pretty specific about the harassment and verbal assault. It sounds like Greens are familiar with indie wrestling fans and are clearly outlining what they are looking to avoid, on this show, for the kids. If this puts you on the fence, then you're prob. better suited not going. 

As a wrestling fan I don't know if I'd go. I certainly enjoy my share of 'R-rated' heckling at shows if warranted; one of the cool things about a Hoodslam kind of show. But for a show for foster kids, its fine. 

• Like 2

Not sure how many more then will announce tonight - but PWG has announced the following for BOLA (besides PCO)

Brody King

Jody Fleisch

Ilja Dragunov

I posted this the other day on my personal FB, after watching my youngest daughter (in Grade 5), at her music recital...

School music recitals are set up a lot like indie Wrestling shows:

First act was the Grade Twos on the ukuleles. These greenhorns aren’t the best but they delivered a solid opener and their fans are always vocal and supportive.

Up next was one of the Grade Five classes doing Green Day’s “Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,” and it stole the show. Included two amazing solos that popped the crowd, huge. Definite MOTN.

Up next was the gimmick match: the ol’ Blacklights routine this booker loves so much. Always looks good but the gimmick has been done bigger and better on past shows. Time to introduce a new gimmick for this venue.

Semi-Main was a solid tag match (it had guitars, drums, bars and the piano going), that had some good solos but didn’t quite reach the level of Match Two. But my kid was in it so it was my fave, obviously.

Main Event was...who knows? This isn’t a Wrestling Road Report! I hugged my kid on her way off the stage, told her I loved her, and I left like any other parent. In true indie fashion, the show ran late and half the crowd was gone before the main. It was probably the promoter or his belt-mark champ doing some BS that involved a nonsensical run-in or meaningless heel-turn, anyway.

EDIT: turns out the Main Event was a bunch of kids on the spoons. THE. FUCKING. SPOONS. So indie.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4