DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Watched EVOLVE 101 last night...

Thought the prelims were skippable. I'm a big fan of Garrini and thought his match with KTB was OK for being a prelim. The 3 way was pretty bad and I dislike Kincaid and am not really that much of a fan of Jarek 1:20, so I thought those 2 matches were skippable.

Not a big fan of the End, nor of Henry. I did dig Drake's performance from the night before against Riddle, so it was a bummer we didn't get that Drake showing up in this match.

Yehi vs. Mercer was underwhelming. Mercer did nothing for me here and looked like the standard indy guy. Yehi countering the avalanche moonsault powerslam into a Koji Clutch was an odd way to end the match.

Thought ZSJ vs. Dickinson was pretty good. It was basically ZSJ trying to be too cute and Dickinson using his brute strength and power to counter ZSJ's cute sub attempts by either throwing kicks or strikes from wherever he could or by trying deadlift throws. I really dug the finish with the ref. calling for the bell instead of Dickinson tapping out. Good stuff.

Keys vs. Dixon was a MCW showcase and very un-EVOLVEesque, but they kept it short and it was a reasonable match to return from the intermission.

Lee vs. Hot Sauce was underwhelming and it felt like it went on forever. I dug how they tried to build around the smaller Hot Sauce trying to get and capitalize on anything openings he could find, but there's just too many odd instances in the match. The entire shenanigans on the ramp, most of the ladder stuff, for example, were lame/weak. I really liked Lee last year, but this year I'm not feeling his work as much from what I've seen from him so far this year.

The 4 way was OK. I dug Theory in it. I thought he was great as the heel playing to the crowd early on and then how they all paired up to eliminate him first. Thought it was much better then when it had all 4 guys in it. After that, the only thing I really dug was how Jaka used a low blow as a key element to eliminate Darby. The final 2 sequences were too indytastic and fighting spirit'ish with the strikes and head drops exchanges.

Pretty underwhelming card aside from ZSJ vs. Dickinson.

Thanks to the Joey Janela Spring Break cards and Matt Riddle's upcoming Blood Sport, I decided to give GCW a shot and I ordered GCW Hit 'Em Up from Smart Mark Video... Not sure what to expect as I'm not familiar with most of the guys on this card, but here's some general thoughts on the matches...

Homicide vs. Brandon Kirk totally inoffensive and short... It's 2018 and Homicide still likes cutting shoot promos on Teddy Hart. That feud has basically turned into the neverending Jim Cornette/Vince Russo forever ongoing feud of the indies.

Tony Deppen or Jimmy Lloyd was pretty bad. Early 2000's CZW Jr. Heavyweight hardcore type of bad. Very indytastic and several botched spots. Deppen was apparently turned heel post match and it came across pretty forced and poor.

I've never thought of it, but the comparison between Darby Allin and Sabu made by the commentator when it comes to recklessness, is pretty accurate to some degree. Darby vs. Eli Everfly was odd... I'm not used to seeing Darby working with guys his size or smaller, so that was quite unique seeing him not working from underneath for the majority of the match. Regardless, he's still great and does his best to carry this by tossing Eli into the crowd and hitting a brutal tope on onto Eli who draped over the guard rail. Eli seems like the typical indy Jr. flippy guy complete with flashy bright color tights and kickpads! He also does all the flippy moonsaults and springboard moves while botching some spots. He popped out a Spanish Fly into an armbar for some reason...

The Headhunters! I haven't heard of those guys in over 15 or more years, so that's a neat 1994 IWA JAPAN throwback. The Headhunters are gassed 10 minutes even though all they've done is brawl around the ring area and hit each other with foreign objects... The match is as wild and messy as expected. One of the Headhunters botches the finish by slipping off the top rope during a top rope moonsault tease...

Uh, Ciclope vs. G-Raver happened I don't mind death matches, but this was bad. Just a overly dangerous death match trash. I don't mind death matches, but this was a bit much... Ciclope almost killed G-Raver with one of those El Generico turnbuckle brainbusters as G-Raver just bounced off the turnbuckle and landed face first on the outside of the ring. Despite the 1000's of dangerous spots in the match, they finish it with a shinning wizard...

SHLAK vs. Markus Crane was more of the same. Except these guys apparently are sniffing cocaine mid match... No, not banter, that's legit what they did or at least simulated with a massive mirror they brought out... Ugh...

Miedo Extremo vs. Eric Ryan was more of this garbage.

Nick Gage vs. Violento Jack was more of this same garbage. I've been reading people praising Gage's work recently, but I'm not seeing it. His match with WALTER at Style Battle was forgettable and this was no better. I don't mind death matches, but these just went overboard for me and I'd rather not bother with this garbage.

This was a deal breaker for me and I was genuinely interested in following them as they've booked some intriguing matches like Homicide vs. Matt Riddle and some stuff with Darby Allin, but yeah, I'd rather not support or watch this trash again aside from those WM weekend shows.

I have a hard time seeing Filthy Tom making Mania weekend, especially when he'll be working WALTER on a stiff boy show. Bloodsport is looking real nice even if they have to replace him. It's not a tournament, is it? 

Trent will also likely need a replacement on the super show. :( Best Friends vs. Golden Lovers was something I was so excited for. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Bloodsport is looking real nice even if they have to replace him. It's not a tournament, is it?

Most likely not.  They haven't given any indication that it is, and (as you may have seen from the posted cards) at least 3 of those guys are wrestling on Beyond's midnight show later that night.

Guest Edwin
3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

ACH really looks like Wayne Brady there.

...and ironically enough he got his start in inprov comedy working at the SAK Comedy Lab in Orlando.

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Get your Keith Lee viewings in now as he is (finally) headed to the WWE

Appears he is starting May/June

And WALTER was offered a contract too...

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Get your Keith Lee viewings in now as he is (finally) headed to the WWE

Appears he is starting May/June

I'm really happy to see him going to WWE, he's going to be fantastic there (barring stupid booking)  I'm just glad I was able to bask in his glory recently at Evolve, even if it was in a so-so hardcore match (not his fault)

35 minutes ago, Edwin said:

And WALTER was offered a contract too...

Yeah - but he is supposedly turning it down

Here is the full blurb from the WON

Both Keith Lee and Walter have been offered spots starting in Orlando in May. The two are the two best big men on the independent scene right now. The belief within the indie world is Lee is taking it since he’s turned down dates after that point in time but this is one of those things that neither side are even allowed to confirm. Lee is 32 or 33 (he told me he was 32 months back) , and he’s got charisma to go along with being so strong and agile. He reminds me of a more agile but not quite as heavy version of Bam Bam Bigelow. Lee, while not announced yet because it requires the approval of Gabe Sapolsky, since he has a contract with WWN, was tentatively on the card for New Japan on the 3/25 show in Long Beach. If that happens, that doesn’t mean he won’t do that date and still go to WWE in May although New Japan believes he’s not. He also has shown he can work with lots of different styles and have good matches and had a tear down the house psychology match with Tomohiro Ishii in London that was beautiful in its simplicity. Walter is less clear. I know that in the past he’s told us he’s not interested because he’s got employee status with the wXw promotion in Europe and runs their school and in the past told us he likes his life and wasn’t interested in moving. He wasn’t even interested in long periods out of Europe as he noted New Japan isn’t something he was interested in either. But there is an opportunity if you become a WWE star to make far more money and garner far more fame in this business than anywhere else. Walter would have been a main event heel in the old WWWF days against Bruno Sammartino or Pedro Morales in the 70s as a big German who can really go standing behind a heel manager. He’s got a great foreign heel face, similar to Vladimir Kozlov, just as big, not quite as good a body as Kozlov had but world’s better in the ring. Walter’s chops are incredible, but I’m not sure WWE will want their guys taking those chops as much as indie guys are willing to do to make a match, but he can do more than that. Both have different styles than WWE but if I was WWE, they are two of the top guys possible to get that aren’t under contract with a major promotion already

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm trying to talk myself out of spending $150 for meeting them all, but the 4 Horsemen are coming to MCW next Saturday.  Can't go wrong with meeting Ric, Arn, Tully, Barry and JJ at a place not far from where I used to live.  http://www.mcwprowrestling.com/thehorsemenreturn

Hey, @J.T., you able to go to this?

I had to work that weekend.  4th ID had a command post exercise going on.

And naturally, I start my graveyard shift in support of 34th ID the same weekend that Bruiser defends against Joey Mercury in a Cage Match.

I love my job, but I hate the hours.

• Sad 1

Let's hope Greg has some newfound Wolverine recuperative abilities. 

Google sez the average recovery time for a torn pec is six months. Maybe Orange Cassidy is way better this year and that the idea was straight up comedy the entire time. 

Guest Edwin
5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - but he is supposedly turning it down

Here is the full blurb from the WON

WALTER maybe the only guy I can buy into using a series of chops as a finisher in the WWE if they ever managed to reach agreement and sign him.