DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

I saw him vs Chuck Taylor in Beyond and yeah, dude put on a great show (if not technically sound match). He was also the coolest dude I talked to out of all the talent that night, seemed especially psyched that I had my ten year old with me. Good guy, that Swoggle. 

Another episode done. Was busy prepping MOTY candidates, and the holidays and blah, blah, blah. Here's the show:

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: December 17, 2018

On this episode:

* BIG WEST TELEVISION TITLE: Michael More (c) vs. Jayce D'Arcy (Jan. 19, 2018)

* MORE'S MIC with Collin Cutler (Jan. 20, 2018)

* "LOOK BACK" MATCH: Adult Social Society vs. Black Dragon & Kobra Kai (Jan. 27, 2017)

* THRASH WRESTLING TITLE: Adam Ryder (c) vs. The Mauler (Jan. 20, 2018)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Yeah, so many indie guys are well under the 200-pound limit. I find weight class titles in this day and age pretty ridiculous, to be honest.

Eh.  You can still build a good David / Goliath story in the angle when you book a match where opponent weights are totally lopsided, but I agree that most "Heavyweight" title matches are pretty much like Impact's X-Division where there really is no upper or lower weight limit.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Eh.  You can still build a good David / Goliath story in the angle when you book a match where opponent weights are totally lopsided, but I agree that most "Heavyweight" title matches are pretty much like Impact's X-Division where there really is no upper or lower weight limit.

My comment of it being "ridiculous" is more that it limits your top guys that are under 200 pounds from being considered "top guys." Many of the best wrestlers out here in B.C. are under 200 pounds and to deny your company a chance to feature them as your top champion is foolish, IMHO as a booker and promoter.

• Like 1

Some more stuff from the Australian indy scene of late. 

One of Robbie's most recent matches and his first back in Sydney after his New Japan tour. For a guy who's mostly been a career underdog babyface, Robbie has really gotten into the Bullet Club attitude, a lot of his matches since his return has him being more aggressive, kicking opponents in the face and such. Tyler Payne is a really talented younger guy, he had spent some time in the Fale Dojo in New Zealand and is apparently off to be a New Japan Young Lion soon, this was one of his first matches after dropping his Chikara-esque masked gimmick. Fun match.

Also, PWA have a 1 month free trial on their streaming service at www.pwaplay.com using the code #PWSLEIGH which is a good intro to what's currently happening in the Australian scene.

From Kyle Fletcher's brief return back to Australia from the UK. Tommy Knight has been wrestling just over a year I believe and is the understudy of Jonah Rock. He's a bigger dude, just over 6' and probably close to 300lbs and has a pretty extensive shoot background. Fun match with Fletcher being the more experienced guy out smarting his opponent and using his height advantage, while Knight just keeps moving forward.

Anyone who's a fan of the older British style of wrestling will dig this I feel, Mason is a veteran who debuted in the early 90s whilst Breaks is a relative newcomer but, as is obvious by his name and gear, loves the traditional British style. More of this show to come as well.

11 hours ago, Big Rob said:

Anyone who's a fan of the older British style of wrestling will dig this I feel, Mason is a veteran who debuted in the early 90s whilst Breaks is a relative newcomer but, as is obvious by his name and gear, loves the traditional British style. More of this show to come as well.

This whole show (with the exception of the unfortunate injury to Laura di Matteo) was SUPER FUN! Almost a SOTY contender!

Raging headache kept me from filming a hokey Christmas Special tonight, so I finished up this instead...

On this episode:

* Jayce D'Arcy vs. Todd Quality (Feb. 16, 2018)

* Mike Chisholm talks to Top Quality (June 16, 2017)

* OKANAGAN-INTERIOR TITLE: Marty Sugar (c) vs. Todd Quality (June 16, 2017)

* HIGHLIGHTS: Bambi Hall & Marty Sugar vs. Camaro Cope & Davey Deals (Jan. 19, 2018)

* NUMBER ONE CONTENDER: Camaro Cope vs. Davey Deals (Feb. 16, 2018)

• Like 1

Maryland Championship Wrestling presents.... NEW YEAR'S MAYHEM 2018

I have no idea where Perry High School is and I do not trust Google Maps to get me there safely. 

I nearly got lost yesterday driving my boo to TV Hill in B'More so that she could pick up her black-ish prize pack from the local CW affiliate.  Stupid rerouting GPS..

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Maryland Championship Wrestling presents.... NEW YEAR'S MAYHEM 2018

I have no idea where Perry High School is and I do not trust Google Maps to get me there safely. 

I nearly got lost yesterday driving my boo to TV Hill in B'More so that she could pick up her black-ish prize pack from the local CW affiliate.  Stupid rerouting GPS..

It's not that bad.  I don't know if you're familiar with White Marsh Mall but it's not far from there.  I'm not sure why they're running it there instead of MCW Arena but I might check it out.

On 25 December 2018 at 9:43 PM, Hail Sabin said:

Just found out that several hours ago MLW posted a Christmas Special only on YouTube with 3 matches: Flag Match MJF vs. Puma King, Ace Austin vs. Myron Reed and No DQ PCO vs. Brody King. 

This show was a ton of fun, Schivone's reactions to PCO doing insane hardcore stuff is great. Conrad has prepped him well showing him ECW stupidity on the podcast recently.

On 12/15/2018 at 6:47 PM, RIPPA said:

Outside the shows in Japan in caves - this is the coolest venue I’ve ever seen

They announced last night at Nova Pro show that it will be Tito Santana vs Coach Gator at the next Old Ox Brewery show.

I know this isn't the case but part hopes that the conditions of running shows there is that Tito is booked for all shows ?