DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - that PROGRESS show also has Toni Storm vs. Jordynne Grace

yow....

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have been laughing about that tweet for like 48 hours thanks to Gage's wife beater tan lines

I don't know what is more hysterical.  Gage's wife beater tan or my old man vision seeing Masato Tatanka rather than Masato Tanaka. 

I think Tanaka's overly bronzed skin and colorful elbow pad threw me off.

• Haha 1

Isn't Ohtani Gage's favorite wrestler of all time? Gage v Ohtani could be fun in a weird way. I have never seen any indication from Gage that he could hang with Ohtani as far as wrestling holds go, but I would watch a bombfest between them for sure.

EDIT - Gage confirms his love of Ohtani on Twitter:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

yow....

I don't know what is more hysterical.  Gage's wife beater tan or my old man vision seeing Masato Tatanka rather than Masato Tanaka. 

"Masato Tatanka" needs to be a gimmick on the indies. It's too good not to be. I'm friends with the guy Daivari squashed on 205 Live this week. I'll have to try and talk him into it.

Mecha Wolf vs. Carlito Caribbean Cool for the upcoming IWA Florida event... ?

Sucks it's going head to head with an NXT Live event, if not, I'd go, but for some reason of the 2 IWA Florida event, 1 was on the same day as an NXT Live event and this one will make it 2.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:58 PM, J.T. said:

yow....

My old man vision has me reading Gagne rather than Gage.

6 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

So PCO is definitely getting yanked from indie events, as he can't do the big ECCW shows at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver next month...but Bandido got pulled from those ECCW shows, too. Did he finally sign with the WWE?

Speaking of PCO and pulling out of shows.  Tonight at House of Hardcore

That favor from Ring of Honor was the Briscoes coming in vs Rich Swann & Teddy Hart.  

• Like 1

The irony being that PCO has to pull out because of his ROH contract. But sure Tommy whatever you say

EDIT

Just to clarify - from the newest WON

A major component of the deals is that both men have pulled out of all of their indie bookings as of signing this past week. There is heat from indie promoters who had already purchased tickets and advertised them. The usual professional idea is you fulfill your dates, but apparently the ROH deal is for U.S. exclusivity immediately. For MLW, both had to pull out immediately since MLW tapes for television. Plus, no doubt both would be expected to appear on Final Battle and/or the TV the next day, but in theory they could work for the first MLW Miami show on 12/13 and finish up with angles there, but it’s not happening. Ouellet told MLW that he couldn’t turn down the offer, saying it was the best offer he had ever received in his career, which is saying a lot since he got good deals for WWF and WCW, although granted, pay for wrestlers by and large is up from the 90s

• Thanks 1

MLW has had a few fun matches of late I've been catching up on.  The building MLW ran (Cicero Stadium) in Chicago looks great on TV, reminds me of an old ECW or WCW building with the way they had it lit.

Rush v Sammy Guevara from MLW Fusion (Ep 34) this week is worth seeking out, a real fun little sprint.

I also enjoyed Dreamer v Pillman Jr. from Ep 33. It was a fun old school style match, particularly if you like latter day Dreamer matches.  Pillman Jnr. is still really raw, but you can see everything comes real natural to him.  The after match segment really puts it over the top, Dreamer is second only to Sting as the most gullible face in wrestling.

49 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I'm still baffled at the whole 'you're not allowed to use PCO anymore, but here have the Briscoes instead!" rather than just let PCO finish out his dates as per usual.

Maybe they're nervous he'll injure himself there before he can injure himself on their TV. It's bound to happen, may as well protect your investment where you can.

• Like 1

Either that or it is PCO's call. I mean, maybe that was his hope with this return - generate enough buzz in the indies that someone would offer actual contract. Once he got the contract he doesn't see any reason to continue doing these indies. Random speculation.

There will be two Joey Janela's Spring Break events during WrestleMania week 2019.

It was announced last night that part two of Joey Janela's Spring Break 3 will take place at White Eagle Hall in Jersey City, New Jersey at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday, April 6. Saturday's Spring Break is called "The Greatest Clusterf***," with it being named after the annual Spring Break multi-man match.

Janela tweeted: "Alot of fans missed out on SB 3 tickets, which sold out in a record setting 4 minutes! Good news the first weekend of April is now SPRING BREAK WEEKEND!!! 2 completely different cards & completely different talent, THIS IS THE GREATEST CLUSTERF***!! Tickets on sale Fri at noon!"

With part two of Spring Break taking place after ROH and NJPW's G1 Supercard, Janela noted that his show won't start until everyone arrives from G1 Supercard.

Janela's Spring Break events are in conjunction with Game Changer Wrestling. Part one of Spring Break 2019 is being held at White Eagle Hall on Friday, April 5, which is opposite NXT TakeOver: New York.

So basically the show isn't starting until 2 AM so don't plan on going to that and Mania