DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

1 hour ago, Six String Orchestra said:

NXT China it is then. I imagine at some point they will attempt to expand in Asia, even if it is just a performance center. 

China's the likely bet, since they're pretty fledgling as far as pro wrestling is concerned.  Lot of those guys would jump at the chance to get a NXT check, and the few Chinese promotions would be willing.  However, given Dear Leader's dick wagging at China, that might rule China out.  The issue with Japan is I don't see any promotion there willing to bend over for WWE the way the UK promotions did, at least not AJPW, NOAH, or DDT.  NJPW is the competitor, so they're not going to do it.  Japan doesn't have the "indy" presence that they used to either, so the model won't really work.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

China's the likely bet, since they're pretty fledgling as far as pro wrestling is concerned.  Lot of those guys would jump at the chance to get a NXT check, and the few Chinese promotions would be willing.  However, given Dear Leader's dick wagging at China, that might rule China out.  The issue with Japan is I don't see any promotion there willing to bend over for WWE the way the UK promotions did, at least not AJPW, NOAH, or DDT.  NJPW is the competitor, so they're not going to do it.  Japan doesn't have the "indy" presence that they used to either, so the model won't really work.

The bigger problem for Japan is how Japanese culture works for a NXT Japan more than anything.

Japanese pop culture views going to America as entering the world stage, so it's seen as "okay" if you're leaving your home promotion to try and be a global star.

On a Japanese scale, though? Japanese culture is so based on loyalty to one's employer that an NXT Japan would blow up in WWE's face. If WWE opened NXT Japan, no Japanese talent would DARE defect to NXT Japan and risk putting their home promotion at a disadvantage. WWE would instantly cease being able to get any good talent from Japan. 

I think (and hope) you're probably right about that. But the other side to the Japanese indies doing relatively poorly is that there are plenty of promotions for which a massive amount of up-front cash would seem really appealing. Honestly, even the other "big" promotions--NOAH, All Japan, DDT--don't seem to have benefited much from New Japan's boom. (NOAH and AJPW are trending the right way, but there's no Big 3, and hasn't been for a while.) Plus, with guys like Ishimori and Shingo leaving for New Japan, I could talk myself into one financially desperate company or promoter thinking those notions of loyalty are fading, and there's no way to fight a promotion that aspires to be international except with help from one that is already.

Been thinking about this the last few days and on some level I just don't get the NXT model anymore. What's the end game?

I guess if the goal is to have 99.9% control of pro wrestling output in every country but Japan and Mexico then okay but is the end game that in ten years these satellite promotions are vibrant, self-sustaining money-makers? NXT proper doesn't make money. NXT UK is definitely losing money early on.  Is the goal that these are loss-leaders that are supposed to create stars that go to WWE proper and make money because there is already such a huge bottleneck of talent stacked up that guys are literally wasting prime years of their lives fucking around in the farm leagues. Basically, 80% of NXT and NXTUK could be on the main roster doing better or the same as a large majority of the WWE roster, which is just bloated with dead weight and past-their-prime characters.  Of course, this ignores the fact that WWE creative is set up that most guys are just supposed to be cogs in the machine anyway and not individual draws and those that are supposed to be draws end up being ruined by shit creative and that wrestling popularity is in a lull. 

I understand that Hunter's vision is that you have these companies all over and guys may or may not make the main roster but can still make a living under the WWE umbrella. That sounds wonderful but that really doesn't sound terribly likely unless the WWE is willing to throw away millions on these projects. I get they HAVE the money to do that but like with Panda and TNA at some point you hit a tipping point where you're not getting value on investment. I mean, and this is unlikely, but let's say a Pete Dunne or Ricochet or WALTER debuted on the main roster tomorrow and become the next Stone Cold and Rock and lead to a massive boon period of TV ratings, Networks buys and casual interest. That is better business both short and long-term  than them propping up WWE independent brands.

And, of course, when Vince dies, odds are Hunter blows everything up anyway and plans change.

So, I don't know. I think I would have a better feeling if there was any turnover in the main roster but this stock-piling just doesn't seem self-sustaining.  

• Like 1

I'm thinking right now, it's Hunter stockpiling for his eventual takeover so he can blow shit up and remake it in his image, and he's convinced Vince that he's building a global monopoly, but that's really not finacially viable.  That's really the only thing that makes sense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm thinking right now, it's Hunter stockpiling for his eventual takeover so he can blow shit up and remake it in his image, and he's convinced Vince that he's building a global monopoly, but that's really not finacially viable.  That's really the only thing that makes sense.

Honestly, yeah. Absolutely agreed.  I mean - the only way you can make these satellites self-sustaining is to keep money drawing stars there. How will that fly when the main roster is in down periods and not drawing? I mean, shit...they need to call up Ricochet, Riddle and the UE tomorrow just to add juice to Raw. Not saying those guys would necessarily be difference makers but nothing on top seems to be working now. 

I don't think Hunter's plan for NXT was to prepare him for taking over, it's to soothe investors for when Vince is gone. He can point to a worldwide infrastructure for developing stars and say "See? WWE's future is secure for years to come. Please don't dump all of your stock right away."

• Like 1

One of my local indies had Ken Shamrock on a show last night. He didn't do much, but he was super over and took a nice bump into the guard rail in his match. I'm trying to think when the last time he was on a pro wrestling show, early TNA maybe? Now I want to see against PCO or Nick Gage haha

• Like 1

On January 20th Destiny Wrestling in Mississauga is running an event featuring Pete Dunne vs Josh Alexander, Tyler Bate vs Aiden Prince (who I haven't heard of...might be a local guy?), and Shane Strickland vs Micheal Elgin. Got my tickets already ?

• Like 2

San Francisco, March 9. He’s not bringing anyone else (except Tajiri, who is freelance) so I don’t think we can rightly speculate on All Japan ~expansion plans~ or even a full on barnstorming tour. But I am prepared to spend an irresponsible amount of money if we do get there.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

One of my local indies had Ken Shamrock on a show last night. He didn't do much, but he was super over and took a nice bump into the guard rail in his match. I'm trying to think when the last time he was on a pro wrestling show, early TNA maybe? Now I want to see against PCO or Nick Gage haha

Went to wrestlingdata.com to check that out, and apparently his last wrestling match prior to this year was in 2004.  But here's the thing: it was in TNA.  (7/14/04, to be precise: Shamrock/Jarrett/Onyx/Hernandez/Chad Collyer lost to Dusty/Zbyszko/Konnan/Road Dogg/R-Truth in a guitar on a pole match.  Because Russo.)

Also ran across another odd match he had in '04: against Sylvester Terkay on UPW's 5th anniversary show in Anaheim, which also had the Outsiders putting over Christopher Daniel and Tom Howard.  God damn, I love wrestling.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

Does PCO's signing with ROH fuck up a lot of these pending new dream/nightmare matches he's got coming down the pike?

That sucks. I hope it doesn't stop PCO from getting odd bookings, but it will most likely keep him away from organizations like MLW.

4 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Does PCO's signing with ROH fuck up a lot of these pending new dream/nightmare matches he's got coming down the pike?

Yes since he has already been replaced in that match with L.A. Park by Sami Callihan

Blargh...

4 hours ago, cool arrow said:

Went to wrestlingdata.com to check that out, and apparently his last wrestling match prior to this year was in 2004.  But here's the thing: it was in TNA.  (7/14/04, to be precise: Shamrock/Jarrett/Onyx/Hernandez/Chad Collyer lost to Dusty/Zbyszko/Konnan/Road Dogg/R-Truth in a guitar on a pole match.  Because Russo.)

Also ran across another odd match he had in '04: against Sylvester Terkay on UPW's 5th anniversary show in Anaheim, which also had the Outsiders putting over Christopher Daniel and Tom Howard.  God damn, I love wrestling.

There's also a 2009 match against Jimmy Jacobs for JCW, guest refereed by Dan Severn.