DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

On 11/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, RIPPA said:

Full thread goes into more detail

Yeah, this is tough. Such a talented dude who 'gets it' in terms of pro wrestling being fun. I'm headed to the show tonight. 

It's the last time running their current, long-time venue, this is also the show with L.A. Park vs. Gage, and this ...

46703128_10161072974540082_5845344447113

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 6:20 AM, Archibald said:

My initial thought after reading all that was... where are they going to find enough good wrestlers to fill out the roster? 

Right. During the days when ROH/TNA had talent packed rosters WWE, was looking for wrestlers that fit a certain mold. It gave the WWE alternatives the opportunity to sign a bunch of exciting talents that had been overlooked by WWE.  Now that WWE is signing everyone with some buzz who can go, that talent pool is gone.

When there is talk of a new promotion, there are typically whispers of WWE talents who are either unhappy with their placement on the card, money or dates and would be open to making a jump. I'll believe it when it actually happens. Most would not give up a stable salary for a promotion which may not be around in six months.

All that being said, if the center of the new promotion is Omega, I would be very interested to see where things go. He's recognized by a portion of the WWE audience as the best wrestler in the world. That has to count for something when launching a new fed.

The only way a promotion like that can work is to have an insane amount of backing so they can operate in the red for a few years before they prove the model can work. If they can poach top indie guys and make sure they’re exclusive to AEW, build a following, then bring in ex-WWE stars, and do all that with compelling weekly TV, they have a legit chance. If not, what’s the point of another indie with Bullet Club and the Lucha Bros on top?

It would be interesting if they didn’t have wrestlers sign exclusives or at least not require it, which I can see them doing since they supposedly are going to be “pro-wrestler” in a different way. 

They’ll also have to walk a fine line when it comes to taking midcard WWE talent. Sure, Cody has been successful, but would there be the same buzz for a Zach Ryder indie run? 

That said, if I could pick one act to move from WWE to this new would be fed, it would be the Revival.

31 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

They’ll also have to walk a fine line when it comes to taking midcard WWE talent. Sure, Cody has been successful, but would there be the same buzz for a Zach Ryder indie run? 

There wasn't a lot of buzz for a Cody indie run, either. It took a while before people really started taking him seriously.

• Like 1

Just now, mattdangerously said:

There wasn't a lot of buzz for a Cody indie run, either. It took a while before people really started taking him seriously.

Huh? There was plenty of buzz for Cody from what I recall. I just remember people also eventually realizing he wasn't that good until a turn around happened sometime last year character wise.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Huh? There was plenty of buzz for Cody from what I recall. I just remember people also eventually realizing he wasn't that good until a turn around happened sometime last year character wise.

Remember when Cody vs Okada was announced for the first njpw us show? There was no buzz around Cody at that time. People were pissed at him even being on the card. He’s gotten a lot more popular since then. 

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

That said, if I could pick one act to move from WWE to this new would be fed, it would be the Revival.

Definitely. We should put together a list of talents who are on the low end of the WWE pay structure , not going anywhere fast, and would potentially draw in a new environment. I would add Tyler Breeze. Is there anyone else?

• Like 1

Y'all need to see Brody King vs. PCO from night one of BOLA. Might be one of the best worst matches I've ever seen. Brody hit ~15% of his offense smoothly and PCO almost died doing a moonsault off the top to the apron. The former may be the worst pushed wrestler in 2018. He seems like a really nice guy and people who know him love him but fuck do I think Brody King is not a very good pro wrestler yet. And I can't stand the pretend tough guy presence. At least drop the halfassed, done at half speed poorly agility spots. It's embarrassing. 

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Y'all need to see Brody King vs. PCO from night one of BOLA. Might be one of the best worst matches I've ever seen. Brody hit ~15% of his offense smoothly and PCO almost died doing a moonsault off the top to the apron. The former may be the worst pushed wrestler in 2018. He seems like a really nice guy and people who know him love him but fuck do I think Brody King is not a very good pro wrestler yet. And I can't stand the pretend tough guy presence. At least drop the halfassed, done at half speed poorly agility spots. It's embarrassing. 

You’re continuing with BOLA? I thought you were done with PWG for the time being. Your opinion doesn’t seem to be growing fonder, ha ha.

• Like 1

We bought the shows, we'll watch them. After that?...

Didn't get through night two yet but it's a huge improvement on night one. WALTER was extra ornery in the main event tag from the first night. It was very good but I was expecting greatness. Cobb vs. Allin has been the best of the bunch so far.

• Like 1

Went to the IWA Florida show tonight. For those that don't know, IWA Florida is an offshoot of the former IWA Puerto Rico. Ran by Savio Vega in the Orlando area. Fun show with a lot of unknowns, some old IWA guys and Glamour Boy Shane. Great to finally see Shane live. Easily the most over guy there. Next show has Carlito. A Colon working an IWA show is just weird given the history.