DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

I know it's going to get lost in the shuffle amongst everything else from this weekend, but Sami Callihan vs. Tom Lawlor from MLW's Chicago show is definitely worth checking out. I know Sami isn't everyone's cup of tea around here, but I think he's had a great year quality-wise. I'd be surprised if Tom Lawlor isn't already on HHH's radar.

• Like 3

I just have to watch UFC, Impact and MLW before I can watch Takeover good to hear that it's worth watching since I was looking forward to that match. Lawlor has also been killing it this year the genius way he tapped Strickland with only one good arm was my highlight for him this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Player One said:

I really haven't been following indy wrestling lately, so I had no idea till this morning that someone booked Nick Gage vs..... David Arquette.  

WTF?

Janela's shows have been booking some pretty random stuff whenever they're running a show on big WWE weekends. 

4 hours ago, Player One said:

I really haven't been following indy wrestling lately, so I had no idea till this morning that someone booked Nick Gage vs..... David Arquette.  

WTF?

It was Joey Janela's LA Confidential. The match was originally supposed to be Gage vs. Joey Ryan. It was a fun ECW like show, until the main event, which went well into death match territory.

https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/11/16/joey-janelas-l-a-confidential-feat-nick-gage-vs-david-arquette/

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 11:54 AM, John Austin said:

Didn't watch on powerbomb but I was sent a youtube link to a sample match.  It was good.

Thanks for checking it out, this was a huge match from the first show

There are also couple of reddit threads about it on SquaredCircle and people found related twitter/web domains also registered recently. And trademarks are registered to same place where Jaguars headquarters are or something like that. So, something is happening. Maybe nothing will come out of it, but at this point it looks very interesting.

My initial thought after reading all that was... where are they going to find enough good wrestlers to fill out the roster? If they'll do some deal with NJPW and will use lots of people from there then what does that mean for RoH?

300 people in gyms again. 

Would love for this to be a thing. And with how Cody's been going about independent contractor status and shitty working conditions, I do wonder if they'll do something as ambitious as etablish an independent union simultaneously. If this is a thing, the likelier scenario would be for them just to be the brother promotion where wrestlers are treated with a modicum of respect (i.e. as employees). 

Talent would definitely sign from NJPW, WWE and the indies in time but it may take a bit to have depth. In the meantime I think the novelty would be enough and they could fill the cards out with young, unattached wrestlers. Plus they'd definitely want to be a place to provide women with an alternative to wwe that actually pays. They could really lean heavily on that. 

• Like 1

And I just read Meltzer said there's many on the WWE roster unhappy and interested in this who would be tempted to give it a shot and some people replied on social media this will kill WWE in 2 years and how this would kill NXT first as the guys will get offered 6 figures...

Given this isn't even a thing yet, I love the notion it will only take them 2 years to kill WWE and the assumption they will be able to offer 6 figure contracts to everyone.

Finishing up LA Confidential and that was not that good... KTB/Fatu was alright albeit short, but my pick for MOTN.

Sorry, but a lot of those GCW regulars (Jimmy Lloyd, Eli Everfly, Tony Deppen, etc) are not good.

First Janela show I passed on. Totally agree with you on the GCW regulars. Fatu I've seen live at the last King of the Indies and I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't get into WWE's system within a year or so between his ability and connections. Great athleticism for a big boy and even better presence. WWE pushing him as the Umaga character's long lost cousin would be a dream.

Yeah, this is easily a skippable event and it didn't really have the oddity feel to it the other Joey Janela events had as it felt more like a standard GCW show.

I'm still baffled Arquette would have agreed to that fiasco. Gage was as reckless as ever and Arquette nearly broke his neck on a suicide dive attempt with a chair early on in the match.