DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

46 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Those two videos are the funniest shit ever. While they were putting the casket in the hearse I said to myself "does he need a new place to sleep?" and moments later I was proven right hahaha

Then PCO decided to give out chips instead of candy for Halloween in Montreal. For the children! 

fixed

Finally got around watching two Walter matches from OTT (they are available for free on their YouTube channel if anyone still hasn't seen them - ) and I don't really have anything to add, solid matches and all that. But one thing got me curious, why OTT are using tanks and stuff like that in his promo videos? I know that he is not German (thou Austria and Germany ain't very far apart in terms of identity) but that whole thing gives me some far-right/Nazi vibes. Am I only one who felt like that?

That being said I'm not against it all, it is just something weird (at least to me) that I noticed.

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

Finally got around watching two Walter matches from OTT (they are available for free on their YouTube channel if anyone still hasn't seen them - ) and I don't really have anything to add, solid matches and all that. But one thing got me curious, why OTT are using tanks and stuff like that in his promo videos? I know that he is not German (thou Austria and Germany ain't very far apart in terms of identity) but that whole thing gives me some far-right/Nazi vibes. Am I only one who felt like that?

That being said I'm not against it all, it is just something weird (at least to me) that I noticed.

I think it's probably just a reference to him being Der Ringgeneral, and any nationalist associations are incidental.

Of course, Walter comes out to the 4th movement of Dvořák's Symphony no. 9, and Dvořák, like his favorite composer Wagner, was part of Europe's 19th century Romantic Nationalist movement, which the 20th century fascists either took to its logical conclusion or twisted to serve their own horrid ends.

This is to say: "Walter comes out to nationalist music" is both a true statement, and incredibly misleading. For one thing, Dvořák claimed his so-called New World Symphony was inspired by Native and African American melodies, and meant to embody an American ideal, not European. 

I mean, it also sounds really cool as entrance music. Most people are probably reminded of the Jaws theme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Unfortunately Amazing Red is off the Janela show tonight due to issues with flying in.   So now the question tonight is what will they do with Sasuke.   I mean why not go completely nuts and put him the match with Gage and David Arquette 

It's Sasuke vs. DJZ, and it has delivered thus far.

Something tells me this Jungle Boy is going to be a big name on the indies because he is looking awesome tonight.  Granted he is working against a proven guy like Tony Deppen

While I like the look of this place, it seems like it is a Great White concert waiting to happen looking at the walls and how unbelievably close the crowd is

Of course the stream goes out just as Brody King and Bob Holly started chopping the shit out of each other 

Just to show the Philly/Jersey indie wars isn't completely dead, CZW just announced that Onita will be at Cage of death show.  Given how well that worked last time I can only imagine

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm legitimately scared for Marko Stunt everytime I see him wrestle. I think I saw him walking on his own through the crowd.

According to Janela's twitter he did hurt his leg on the finish but it isn't serious.

David Arquette's has indie wrestler level tatoos so he is getting there

Arquette deserves a light tube shot given how awful that top attempt was.  God bless him he is taking a ton of abuse and bleeding pretty badly  ?

It sure as hell looked like Arquette shot on Nick Gage in a complete panic from all the blood loss.  He was ending this match any way possible.  That was definitely something.  

That finish to Gage vs. Arquette, wow, I don't know.

Looked like Arquette got cut on the neck, left the ring holding his neck, then kind of realized the match needed a finish... then went back in and some kind of scuffle happened, Gage pinned him, Arquette immediately got up and left.

Lots of credit to Arquette for all the stuff he did with tubes leading up to that, though.

• Like 1

I never thought I'd say this but props to Nick Gage for being calm and professional when Arquette shot on him in a panic. He put him down and pinned him and let him walk away. Maybe chokey DOES change a man?

• Like 1

A friend and I tried to get through night 1 and couldn't. I dunno. Other than Puma King (unsurprisingly awesome and immediately won the crowd over), the first 5 or so matches were not good and actually pissed us off. I asked my friend, and both of us were die hard PWG fans especially during the height of Roddy's reign through the rise of Chuck Taylor, if I have less tolerance for stupid indie bullshit than I did back then. He replied that the roster was just so much better and deeper at that point. He wasn't wrong. They've really been hurt by NXT signings and the Bucks working ROH/NJPW. So many bland fuckers trying to do all of the moves to get over. This has been a problem for over a year now I'd say but at least I cared about the top guys on the card. Now it's just WALTER and outside guys. Additionally, the Globe Theater's lighting is so dark compared to the Legion Hall and atmosphere so tame... It feels like a different promotion. And,  yes, I understand PWG has always had guys doing too much. But there was generally that one point about 2 minutes before the end of the match where they hit PWG Overkill mode and lost me (and often a decent portion of the in-house audience). Now Overkill is closer to 2 minutes after the opening bell rather than 2 minutes before the end bell.  It costs so much to get the DVDs/Blurays shipped up to Canada too, so I don't think I'll be following for too much longer at this rate, at least all that closely. I skipped the last few before BOLA because I was already unhappy. 

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

A friend and I tried to get through night 1 and couldn't. I dunno. Other than Puma King (unsurprisingly awesome and immediately won the crowd over), the first 5 or so matches were not good and actually pissed us off. I asked my friend, and both of us were die hard PWG fans especially during the height of Roddy's reign through the rise of Chuck Taylor, if I have less tolerance for stupid indie bullshit than I did back then. He replied that the roster was just so much better and deeper at that point. He wasn't wrong. They've really been hurt by NXT signings and the Bucks working ROH/NJPW. So many bland fuckers trying to do all of the moves to get over. This has been a problem for over a year now I'd say but at least I cared about the top guys on the card. Now it's just WALTER and outside guys. Additionally, the Globe Theater's lighting is so dark compared to the Legion Hall and atmosphere so tame... It feels like a different promotion. And,  yes, I understand PWG has always had guys doing too much. But there was generally that one point about 2 minutes before the end of the match where they hit PWG Overkill mode and lost me (and often a decent portion of the in-house audience). Now Overkill is closer to 2 minutes after the opening bell rather than 2 minutes before the end bell.  It costs so much to get the DVDs/Blurays shipped up to Canada too, so I don't think I'll be following for too much longer at this rate, at least all that closely. I skipped the last few before BOLA because I was already unhappy. 

If you wanna see how good PWG used to be, you may as well just watch NXT TakeOver lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1