DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

On 10/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, hammerva said:

Yesterday GCW announced that Bloodsport will be back for Mania weekend.  This time is a Josh Barnett's Bloodsport.   A downgrade from Riddle but does make for some interesting match possibilities.

Even if it means breaking kayfabe or something, are Janela/Riddle/Barnett actually involved in the booking process for those shows at all or are they just using their names to promote the shows?

It's a shame Bloodsport is on at the exact same time as wXw. That means no shoot-style matches for WALTER and Thatcher. :(

I would guess they are just involved in the naming of the show.  Maybe they had a hand in the matches announced but doubt they were responsible for finished.   As for Janela I am willing to bet he is involved in some of the booking of his Spring Break shows.  Although we know that Ethan Page was the "booker" of the Clusterfuck match because they are currently doing a storyline that Page has to win a bunch of matches in order to "regain his soul" and not have to book next year's match.

I thought Janela was mostly behind the Spring Breaks, Lost in New York, and the LA Confidential shows. It sure seems to fit with his style. 

He somehow has piqued my interest in a Nick Gage/Joey Ryan match, plus the Hardcore Holly/Brody King match also on the card. 

1 hour ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I thought Janela was mostly behind the Spring Breaks, Lost in New York, and the LA Confidential shows. It sure seems to fit with his style. 

He somehow has piqued my interest in a Nick Gage/Joey Ryan match, plus the Hardcore Holly/Brody King match also on the card. 

The Great Sasuke is going to be on the upcoming LA Confidential show. I've got enough credits on the Fite app to watch it for free, but even if I didn't, I'd still gladly pay the $13.99 for it.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:38 PM, Edwin said:

Stokley is returning to MLW.

Speaking of MLW, I would recommend this week's show with "Filthy" Tom Lawlor vs. Shane Strickland. I really want to see Lawlor vs. Low-Ki.

I'm really looking forward to next week's show with Sami Callihan vs. Jimmy Havoc- Spin the wheel, make the deal and PCO vs. LA Park.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Speaking of MLW, I would recommend this week's show with "Filthy" Tom Lawlor vs. Shane Strickland. I really want to see Lawlor vs. Low-Ki.

I recommend turning the volume down, because Matt Striker would not shut the fuck up at all during the entire show. Schiavone barely said a word because that jackass rambled on and on for an hour.

• Haha 1

Ah yes, the old "Impact/New Japan crossover angle in front of a bar crowd to build a match on a cruise ship between one faction that exists and one that doesn't because Callis is nominally friendly with Jericho despite their last on-screen interaction being acrimonious" angle.

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

My rules for life are "Playing your own sports is more important than watching sports".

I mostly agree, but not in the case of bowling. I really don't care for bowling, unless I'm piss drunk, which I don't get that drunk anymore.

I am totally biased but I really hope folks check out the NOVA Pro Mania show

The timing (and money) will almost certainly prevent me from heading up and checking out shows but this will be a hoot and a half

23 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Fuck it, 2018 me is pretty hyped right now. How is Red in the ring these days?

I feel like we should ask Don West.

Red should still be decent? I’ve not seen him since that last TNA run a couple of years ago

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Red should still be decent? I’ve not seen him since that last TNA run a couple of years ago

I saw that one match with him against Low Ki from HOG and while I didn't like it (they re-did that goofy Kung Fu movie sequence, but with a new touch) he seemed to be in good shape and he showed he could still go, so the match should be good.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:43 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wouldn't care if they're in a dive bar or a farm in the middle of Manitoba, I'd always choose Kenny Omega and Don Callis over bowling.

With social media what it is, now, it doesn't matter "where" part of an angle is if it helps fuel the angle elsewhere: in Kelowna we had an interaction between two Abbotsford guys that will be used to help fuel the inevitable showdown back over in Abbotsford. Didn't benefit my promotion  (outside of the outcome of the match they interacted in), but it helped another promotion and we were happy to do it.

• Like 1