DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Update: Chris Masters was a pretty cool guy this past weekend. Friendly backstage, joking around. I can be pretty mean with my jokes and he took them all in stride and we had some laughs. Plus he worked well with our guys and gave good advice and feedback.

But I'm the reason Penticton is a big draw now, so I'm not sure why he's getting the big money I should be getting... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I liked the PCO vs Homicide match, it was pretty oldschool, I  was good episode overall. 

I am digging that PCO just kills guys with a fucking forearm for the win.  Perfect finisher for the monster that feels no pain gimmick he's running.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The world needs a Zeus vs. Zeus, Battle For Olympus match. 

When I first started seeing Zeus pop up in comments/results/etc about All Japan shows, I actually thought this was the Zeus it was referring to.

I was briefly disappointed.

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am digging that PCO just kills guys with a fucking forearm for the win.  Perfect finisher for the monster that feels no pain gimmick he's running.

When you're Not Human, you can kill guys however you want. I need to go out of my way to see that. Last week on Smash Wrestling, the main event was PCO vs. Brody King vs. Jeff Cobb. It was as awesome as you would imagine.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
I'm currently watching said episode of MLW.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

See? This is what we get for Eddie bringing up Deebo. He's like Candyman only you don't have to say his name but once. 

We need a rematch between Ice Cube and Deebo. I saw Next Friday, which wasn't very good. I didn't even bother with Friday After Next.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:14 PM, The Z said:

The final line-up for this year's wXw World Tag Team League looks pretty awesome:

• Lucha Bros. (Fenix & Pentagon Jr.)
  • Ringkampf (WALTER & Timothy Thatcher)
  • Team SPLX (Jeff Cobb & Angelico)
  • CCK (Chris Brookes & Jonathan Gresham)
  • Okami (Daichi Hashimoto & Hideyoshi Kamitani)
  • Aussie Open (Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher)
  • Monster Consulting (Avalanche & Julian Nero)
  • Jay-FK (Jay Skillet & Francis Kaspin)

So many potentially great match-ups there.

Happeing on the same weekend is also the Femmes Fatales Tournament with Meiko Satomura, Toni Storm, Lufisto, Kris Wolf, Killer Kelly, Session Moth Martina, Millie KcKenzie, Wesna, Audrey Bride and Melanie Gray.

Also there: This guy! (pointing at myself)

Blocks as announced on this week's episode of Shotgun:

m7c5yw.jpg

Holy shit, give me every single match of that A-Block!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

See? This is what we get for Eddie bringing up Deebo. He's like Candyman only you don't have to say his name but once. 

Is their anyone else similar we could name drop on this board and see booked a week later? 

18 hours ago, Casey said:

When I first started seeing Zeus pop up in comments/results/etc about All Japan shows, I actually thought this was the Zeus it was referring to.

I was briefly disappointed.

I’ll do you one better. I actually thought someone was working an Ivan Drago gimmick in Mexico until LU came about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Zartan said:

I’ll do you one better. I actually thought someone was working an Ivan Drago gimmick in Mexico until LU came about. 

I remember seeing the name Twiggy Ramirez in PWI indie results in 95/96/97 and geeking out to my metal/goth friends that Marilyn Manson's bassist was a wrestler on the side, until I eventually realized the wrestler was just some shlubby dude that stole the name and wore goth eye paint and metal t shirts.

I have also mentioned this a few times on the board, I was very disappointed when I saw Maunakea Mossman's name in PWI Japan results and found out a few years later that he was just some dude and not a guy doing a "He-Man" Mossman gimmick.

There was also the double take a few months back when I saw the name Tito Santana popping up in 2018 lucha results, but again, newer wrestler taking that name.

50 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I remember seeing the name Twiggy Ramirez in PWI indie results in 95/96/97 and geeking out to my metal/goth friends that Marilyn Manson's bassist was a wrestler on the side, until I eventually realized the wrestler was just some shlubby dude that stole the name and wore goth eye paint and metal t shirts.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about indy wrestler Twiggy Ramirez. His tag partner borrowed his name from Marilyn Manson's former keyboard player, Madonna Wayne Gacy.

• Haha 1

A couple of MLW notes

Apparently they and James Storm have already parted ways and the expectation is that none of the footage of Storm at the last tapings will actually air

Also, MLW supposedly tried to book the Center Stage but were blocked by another promotion that runs the building. As far as I know that means either WWE or ROH

CWFH had a match this week between RJ Starr (think that was his name) vs David Arquette (yes, THAT David Arquette) that was shockingly good. Arquette actually had a pretty good look and really carried himself well. He didn't look like a scrawny joke non wrestler at all. ROH actually bringing him in as a gimmick would probably be fun.

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

CWFH had a match this week between RJ Starr (think that was his name) vs David Arquette (yes, THAT David Arquette) that was shockingly good. Arquette actually had a pretty good look and really carried himself well. He didn't look like a scrawny joke non wrestler at all. ROH actually bringing him in as a gimmick would probably be fun.

I rolled my eyes big time when I read David Arquette was coming back to wrestling, but with this and another match I saw recently you can tell he actually seems serious about this and has been training to be credible. 

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

RJ City. Talented indy worker with a solid twitter following. He and Arquette went from feuding to now tentative allies against James Ellsworth and some clown...possibly the clown Noelle Foley is dating?

• Like 2

Anybody see Devlin vs. WALTER from OTT? The pre-match hype video was probably top 5 I've seen and the match did not let me down. Devlin's comebacks were great aside from really weak looking roundhouse kicks. The two just beat the tar out of each other and the crowd was so down to play their part. Highly recommend that one. 

Next Wednesday's Walter weltfest will feature the above Ospreay match and the ringkampf tag from the wxw fan appreciation show that saw them take on Dragunov and Starr. 

BOLA night 1 results

Spoiler

PWG 09/14/18 Battle of Los Angeles 2018 Night 1 Results

2018 Battle of Los Angeles First Round Match
Rey Horus def Adam Brooks via wheelbarrow victory roll from the top rope

Flamita def Puma King via corkscrew 450 splash

CIMA def Jody Fleisch via Meteora

Bandido def T-Hawk via somersault fall away slam from second rope

“Bad Boy” Joey Janela def “The Product” David Starr via superkick

Brody King def PCO via Gonzo Bomb

Ringkampf (Timothy Thatcher & WALTER) def Ilja Dragunov & Shingo Takagi when Thatcher pinned Dragunov