DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

3 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

Definitely need more coffee. At first glance I was thinking "Willow, Elven Sports... what kind of Middle Earth ass package is this..."

As much as I would like to discuss this, I am terrified by where this topic might lead.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

beIN must've worked out a drug deal with fIOS because it is back in the iine-up and I can get back to watching MLW on Friday nights.

It looks like fIOS is now offering the the Crazy Sports Network block (Willow, Eleven Sports, bEIN, etc.) only in HD.

At the start of their football podcast, the hosts were telling people to call/write their providers to get back on. 

Anyone catch the Blackcraft stream tonight from Pittsburgh? Super fun show to attend.

Some highlights and then a couple of vids I took at the end:

- Awesome ladder match to begin the Main Show between G-Raver, Stockade, Matthew Justice and Demarcus Kane, which included possibly the highest balcony dive I've ever seen. (video below)

- PCO and Chris Dickinson must have exchanged at least 80 chops in their 15-minute match(Ended in a Double Countout. Afterwards, Dickinson said they should finish this at the next PPV in October but then changed his mind and "shot" on PCO, saying he carried him all night and mocked the fans for constantly chanting for PCO)

- Paige was there in the crowd as her mum took on Pittsburgh's own Britt Baker for their Women's title. Saraya must have flipped off about 30 different fans, kinda funny. Paige was also getting in to it with fans who were cheering for Baker and slapped Britt from the front row at one point in the match.

- Johnny Blackcraft(Morrison, Mundo, etc.) beat Brody King & Jimmy Havoc to become first Heavyweight Champ in a match that featured multiple chair shots, table bumps and a finish that saw Havoc take a Curb Stomp on to a pile of thumbtacks. 

- The big angle tonight saw Ronnie Radke(lead singer of a band calling Falling In Reverse) distract "The Savage Gentleman" Victor Benjamin, causing him to be eliminated from a Battle Royal. (The two have been going back-and-forth on Twitter the past few weeks leading up to tonight.) After the wrestling show ended, Falling In Reverse was performing for the crowd. As Radke was about to announce the final song, Benjamin ran on stage and punched Radke. Radke chased after him but his bandmates kept them apart. The best part about this was that there were a BUNCH of people who traveled hours just to see the band(not familiar with wrestling) and thought what they were watching was real and got extremely upset the show ended that way. Ha.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:27 PM, Oyaji said:

Way easier to watch than either Spring Break. Everything was fun except the ladder match, and that still had some crazy and memorable moments. The final two matches weren't great but very good, I'd say. Don't expect any high end matches but just a very enjoyable, fascinating, and excessive show whose whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. 

I'm just getting around to watching Lost in New York now. I'm only up to Marko vs. KTB and I think the show was absolutely worth the $13.99. MJF vs. Nate Webb was so much fun. MJF is one of my current favorite indy guys. He reminds of a cross between EC3 and Alex Shelley. Plus, there was Wheatus playing "Teenage Dirtbag". 

So, I finished Lost in New York. Teddy Hart/Chris Dickinson was a mess. I'm definitely not against hardcore wrestling, but Hart/Dickinson being followed by the ladder match, then Nick Gage/Sabu was overkill. I know wrestling is full of shitty people, but Nick Gage is really a piece of shit. I wish that motherfucker was still in jail. I enjoyed the last three matches. I don't know why Ethan Page hasn't been used in Impact beyond playing Chandler Park. Page is so good at being a smarmy dickhead. I enjoyed Janela vs. Shinzaki and Riddle vs. PCO a lot. I wish the hardcore matches got less time, so the last two could have gotten more. I love PCO being a Dr. Frankenstein's monster, and being shocked back to life by Destro with a car battery was a great touch.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

15 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

I find it funny that punching Ronnie Radke makes a guy a heel. Punching that piece of shit in the face makes me want to cheer the guy, shit band and he's a shit person. Fuck Falling In Reverse.

Here's the vid:

On 8/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, hammerva said:

So either The Boy is making a sick joke about Coach Gator as a boy getting dunked on in WCW or 2 Cold Scorpio is going to be at Nova Project 4 in September

Either way I am fucking pumped  ?

I am pretty sure it means 2 Cold Scorpio will be in VA which means I will be seeing 2 Cold Scorpio live in the year of our lord 2018

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Travis Banks is out of BOLA due to injury

He is being replaced by Sammy Guevara

Oh and just in case it was missed - Trevor Lee replaced Matt Riddle

They also modified two matches. Shingo Takagi is now facing Ilja Dragunov and Jonah Rock is facing Sammy. (It was originally Rock/Ilja and Shingo/Banks.) One of these two matches is a drastic upgrade. The other depends how you feel about Rock and Sammy.

Seattle six-man tag. Havoc vs. WALTER was a really fun, short, violent and pretty smartly worked match that knew its audience was exhausted and hot and wanted to go home. Opinions on the Sexy Starr/CCK tag varied but I thought it was pretty great despite going too long and not knowing/ignoring its audience's state. But that whole show was a blast and it was easily the best wrestling crowd I've been a part of, with even Jim Smallman saying it was the hottest audience they've had anywhere. 

• Like 1

Watch Timothy Thatcher & Chris Brookes vs. the Anti-Fun Police from PROGRESS Frankfurt this past Sunday, when it comes out on VOD.

There's no better man to come to the defense of fun than Timothy Thatcher, I can tell you that.

• Like 1

The final line-up for this year's wXw World Tag Team League looks pretty awesome:

• Lucha Bros. (Fenix & Pentagon Jr.)
  • Ringkampf (WALTER & Timothy Thatcher)
  • Team SPLX (Jeff Cobb & Angelico)
  • CCK (Chris Brookes & Jonathan Gresham)
  • Okami (Daichi Hashimoto & Hideyoshi Kamitani)
  • Aussie Open (Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher)
  • Monster Consulting (Avalanche & Julian Nero)
  • Jay-FK (Jay Skillet & Francis Kaspin)

So many potentially great match-ups there.

Happeing on the same weekend is also the Femmes Fatales Tournament with Meiko Satomura, Toni Storm, Lufisto, Kris Wolf, Killer Kelly, Session Moth Martina, Millie KcKenzie, Wesna, Audrey Bride and Melanie Gray.

Also there: This guy! (pointing at myself)

• Like 1

Interesting that at the MLW show last night (I don't know if these need to be spoilered or not) but James Storm attacked Filthy Tom with a beer bottle in his no DQ match against Joey Janela.  I hope that it is was because he wanted Janela to lose because if he gives a shit a Storm/Janela feud could be nuts

• Like 1

So Chris Masters is coming to the Okanagan this weekend. I'm concerned because he was a total douchebag to me at the end of June...for no reason, as far as I can tell. I was down in Cloverdale at an All-Star show and introduced myself; I wasn't working the show but came down to support Tim Flowers (who was getting a HOF induction) and see my then-girlfriend, but I gave the standard info you give...where I'm from, that I'm a promoter in Kelowna, etc. He was polite enough AT the venue...however, there were rumblings that the Main Event had to be changed because he refused to work Tom Lawlor, one-on-one. Take that FWIW, as I wasn't eavesdropping on the booking side of things as it wasn't my show.

Regardless, we got to the after-party venue. I showed up very late, because despite not being booked I stayed until the very end to make sure the ring was packed, venue tidy, etc. Not bragging, it's just what needs to be done. When I got to the after-party, I was tired...and then Masters shouldered by me at one point, like your stereotypical meathead at any bar. To make matters worse, outside where the workers were smoking weed, he shook hands with everyone before he left...EXCEPT me. Like, WTF?

Anyway, here's a promo where I jokingly got my frustration out. I'll keep you posted if he's a cock this weekend...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

MLW Fusion is great.  The Pentagon Jr / Rey Fenix vs. Drago / Rey Horus match last Friday was fucking bananas!

I liked the PCO vs Homicide match, it was pretty oldschool, I  was good episode overall. Pentagon is the main reason im interested in keeping up with the indies

• Like 1