DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

If doesn't kill himself in the process, Marko Stunt is going to be involved in almost all of your favorite indie companies within the next 6 - 8 months.  He looks like the kid from FIOS internet commercial and probably smaller than him but a ton of personality and an incredible flippy guy.    Still young and sloppy at times but the future is huge for him

I am so pissed because Marko is wrestling Logan Easton Laroux on Friday for Nova Pro and I can't go because of a stupid work retreat

I need to quit my job.

Way easier to watch than either Spring Break. Everything was fun except the ladder match, and that still had some crazy and memorable moments. The final two matches weren't great but very good, I'd say. Don't expect any high end matches but just a very enjoyable, fascinating, and excessive show whose whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. 

• Like 1

Been a pretty big week or so in Australia's indy scene.

Last weekend, PWA had their 11th Anniversary show in Sydney, in front of a packed house. Robbie Eagles vs Will Ospreay was the best match i've seen either have and the best match i've ever seen live, a lot of crazy moves and dives as you'd expect, but really story driven and violent as well. After the match, Will presented Robbie the Japanese flag off his gear, insinuating that Robbie might be headed to New Japan very soon. Also, the main event of Jonah Rock vs Caveman Ugg in a cage for the heavyweight title was a violent, old school war between two 300+ lb monsters. The whole show is up on www.pwaplay.com and was really strong from top to bottom and well worth a look for $10 Australian (so like $7.30 USD).

Last night, Melbourne City Wrestling ran their 100th and biggest ever show, drawing around 1200 people to a venue in Olympic Park. Solid card top to bottom, the main event of Jonah Rock vs Naito was as good as you'd expect it to be and the undercard had a lot of variety too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Naito’s becoming quite the prolific guest. In the last year he’s done ROH shows, of course, but also Elgin’s midwestern indie tour, Kenny’s Florida show, all of New Japan’s US shows, a CMLL visit, the Aussie anniversary, and now he’s been announced for OTT’s anniversary show in Ireland. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He doesn't seem impressed. Also, I've been watching Hokuto no Ken before passing out each night the past few weeks. Please tell me that's a Kenshiro shirt.

I believe so. One of my friends is a Manga/Anime superfan and lost it for Naito's shirt choice.

And yeah, VB is pretty rubbish. It's one of those beers that were always cheap and working class folks drank and now hipster folks seem to like. Those little throwdown bottles do have a bit of a kick to them though.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, DeadEffect said:

I believe so. One of my friends is a Manga/Anime superfan and lost it for Naito's shirt choice.

And yeah, VB is pretty rubbish. It's one of those beers that were always cheap and working class folks drank and now hipster folks seem to like. Those little throwdown bottles do have a bit of a kick to them though.

People here are still convinced Fosters is real Australian beer, VB would be an improvement. I just know them from their ads on NRL fields and ad boards.

32 minutes ago, sabremike said:

People here are still convinced Fosters is real Australian beer, VB would be an improvement. I just know them from their ads on NRL fields and ad boards.

Haha, XXXX is pretty hideous as well. It does make me laugh seeing hipsters loving Melbourne Bitter too. Any time I go to see a band in the city it's the beer of choice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am so pissed because Marko is wrestling Logan Easton Laroux on Friday for Nova Pro and I can't go because of a stupid work retreat

I need to quit my job.

We'll have him at CWF on September 8, just fyi.

• Like 1

WALTER vs. Ishii was pretty good. If you've seen a WALTER bully performance from this year, then you'd know what to expect from this.

Not only has WALTER become my favorite wrestler to watch this year, but he's turning into one of my all-time favorites to watch. One great performance after another.

Marko is DEFINITELY a "live crowd attraction". He's a good worker that has good matches, but his appeal is in his absurd amount of charisma that you can really only appreciate in person. I didn't "get" it either until I saw him at SCI.

Speaking of which, SCI is on Powerbomb.tv RIGHT NOW. I'm sure if you look around hard enough on Twitter, you'll find a promo code.

beIN must've worked out a drug deal with fIOS because it is back in the iine-up and I can get back to watching MLW on Friday nights.

It looks like fIOS is now offering the the Crazy Sports Network block (Willow, Eleven Sports, bEIN, etc.) only in HD.

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It looks like fIOS is now offering the the Crazy Sports Network block (Willow, Eleven Sports, bEIN, etc.) only in HD.

Definitely need more coffee. At first glance I was thinking "Willow, Elven Sports... what kind of Middle Earth ass package is this..."