DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My kid and I went to eat at Boulevard Burger & Brew last night and I saw a flier taped to the door advertising an upcoming pro wrestling event.  

I had just finished off one of their famous boozy shakes, so I was not in the right mind to investigate further. 

I think the event is going down on Septermber 7th.  I want to say that it will be a Ground Xero Pro Wrestling show since that is the only fed I am aware of that is active in Central VA.

If Adam Bomb isn't the champion and focal point of fed called Ground Xero Pro Wrestling, I'd be disappointed.

A Pennsylvania indy needs to do a gimmick match on Three Mile Island.

• Like 2

A reminder that Janela's Lost in New York is tomorrow. For $14 USD I ordered it, as that's more than a reasonable price. I always enjoy Joey's shows, even if they almost always go off the rails at differing stages, and want to support the cause so we get more. I wonder whom he replaces Haku with, as I was really looking forward to a Tongan asswhipping on Nick Gage. I really don't know how Dickinson/Teddy Hart is going to turn out either... That's probably the most intriguing thing on the card, as I can't see Teddy being up for getting stiffed or wanting to slug it out with Dickinson. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

A reminder that Janela's Lost in New York is tomorrow. For $14 USD I ordered it, as that's more than a reasonable price. I always enjoy Joey's shows, even if they almost always go off the rails at differing stages, and want to support the cause so we get more. I wonder whom he replaces Haku with, as I was really looking forward to a Tongan asswhipping on Nick Gage. I really don't know how Dickinson/Teddy Hart is going to turn out either... That's probably the most intriguing thing on the card, as I can't see Teddy being up for getting stiffed or wanting to slug it out with Dickinson. 

When has Teddy Hart not been up for being stiffed? You can criticize Teddy for a lot of things, shying away from contact is not one of them.

If doesn't kill himself in the process, Marko Stunt is going to be involved in almost all of your favorite indie companies within the next 6 - 8 months.  He looks like the kid from FIOS internet commercial and probably smaller than him but a ton of personality and an incredible flippy guy.    Still young and sloppy at times but the future is huge for him

• Like 1

Wheatus just gave MJF a DDT on a chair. This show is fan-fucking-tastic.

And KTB's open challenge is answered by some kid named Marco who said he was old enough to fuck KTB's mom. I'm dying over here. Love this shit.

This sort of extreme excess and unpredictability is like peak ECW, though I think having 4 or 5 shows max a year is the way to do it.

Okay replacing Haku with Sabu would have been a whole lot more awesome about 20 years ago.  Maybe .  But still an interesting match vs Gage

And yes the announcer did end up spoiling the mystery opponent when doing this stuff in the last match 

• Like 1

Sabu looked much better since I last saw him, so that was a plus. And he was super over.

Hart/Dickinson was a fun, wild brawl that ended with the world's slowest Canadian destroyer and code red. Hilarious.

And now they're showing '90s commercials and highlights of Janela jumping off a porta potty with Jake Roberts inside of it. This is life.

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA, what a finish! Great fucking show and the ladder match was the only time it went off the rails. Best Janela show yet!

Would the best way to describe these Janela shows be they are what the Insane Clown Posse shows try to be only Janela is skilled/smart enough to actually pull it off successfully?

I have never and will never watch an ICP show, so I cannot answer that question. Cringe factor is too much.

At their best, the Janela shows feel like a grassroots attempt at an ECW revival with everything so over-the-top insane and guys trying to make their mark. While PCO/Riddle was clearly the best match, that Marco kid stole the show. From the swagger prior to the bell and the crazy, if not a bit scary sloppy, spots in it... Kid has serious potential for sure. Elsewhere, Shinzaki has to be one of the most majestical, smooth wrestlers of all time even at 51. His match with Joey had no bullshit in it. Just a good, solid pro-wrestling match. I was a bit surprised he won (with a rad avalanche nodowa otoshi!), as he seemed like the underboss in the hype video with the two yakuza goofs (who were also present). I thought Janela would've won this one to set-up the next big match with the yakuza boss. 

Tangent: These lengthy intermissions (as neat as tonight's was btw!) are killing the crowd heat. I totally understand why they're done, but that's two molten hot crowds these past two weeks that have taken a serious cooling down due to an intermission between this show and PROGRESS in Seattle. Crowds were still good after the break but not anything like they were prior to it. That aside, the pacing was really great for tonight's show, especially when contrasted to the first two Janela events. Nothing went long aside from the bullshit, awful ladder match that had a few spots and Orange Cassidy making it at least somewhat redeemable. Janela's learning and between his somewhat unique matchmaking vision and his excellent hype videos/promotion ideas, I think he may have a real future in running a monthly type set-up or more as a bookerman.

Orange Cassidy is pretty much the greatest gimmick ever. I want him in ROH soooooo bad along with the Swamp Monster and they can reunite the Gentleman's Club.

Gonna digress a second: So, my college roommate, freshman year, had this on VHS. It’s announced as a “who the fuck are these guys?” match, Hero is called (among other things) Chris Homo and Piss Taco—and it really only goes downhill from there. He turned out ok!

(That’s enough JCW for now/ever, though.) 

Anyway, I watched the show, and it was better than Cory’s VHS. A low bar, but it was a lot better. There’s gonzo excess in basically every match, and the whole thing is too goddamn much; but the whole package is so slick with just the right balance of grime and polish that it’s relentlessly charming. Like, I actually cared about the main events! I was stoked to see Shinzaki, and he looked great; but now I’m legitimately curious who the boss is, and how we get to him. Can Joey afford to fly Tenryu over just to chomp on a cigar, wear a suit, and punch him once? That doesn’t break a retirement, surely. Of course that’s crazy; but of course, this is all crazy. I don’t know.  

• Like 1

Whether they do or don't know, he kicked cancer's ass and even though he looks like an old man made of sour dough bread, he'd still kill the fuck out of most people.

ebe7cea4b96225bce893b6009ff3657a.jpg