DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

GCW and MLW are dropping the ball by booking Teddy and Homicide on the same show and not having them interact.

I don't think they're legally allowed to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edwin said:

Are you specifically looking for full shows to watch?

If so, then the Beyond Americarana's are usually star filled indy super shows.

I signed up for about months and cancelled it as I got bored, but what I did was search for specific wrestlers and watch the matches on there that intrigued me, so that's a good way to start watching stuff.

Just looking for anything, really. Full shows, specific matches, or promotions.  So far I've been watching random PCO, Keith Lee, and Matt Riddle matches.  I'm curious about CZW, but I assume that for every Claudio Castagnoli and Chris Hero there's a dozen shitty backyarders, so I may not dive too deeply there.

Last year's Americanrana was a blast in person, I recommend it. Missed this year, unfortunately, but that's life. 

Also you'll get to see my dumb ass repeatedly protecting my son from dudes diving out of the ring.

Naw, regret from not letting him get plowed into to teach him a lesson -- when they come at you, you MOVE

That reminded me about another funny part in the Muta/Liger match we were talking about in the monthly thread. Muta walks up close to this fan doing his stalling schtick and this guy gets out of his chair and literally RUNS AWAY. Like Muta was gonna mist him or something. It's hilarious. 

• Like 1

Absolute highest recommendation for the SCI tournament. Everyone needs to watch this when it drops. PCO vs Joey Lynch might actually be my MOTY, and is among the best live matches I've ever seen. Curt Stallion vs Joey Lynch, Cain Justice vs Gary Jay, Jay vs Jake Parnell, and Darius Lockhart vs 2 Cold Scorpio were all standout matches, with everything else being damn solid.

Has this been mentioned anywhere?

• There was a lot of talk regarding an incident at the Revolution Pro show at the Cockpit in London today. Kurtis Chapman wrestled Chris Ridgeway. Sam Adonis came out and made a number of homophobic slurs, the f word, the h word and also used slurs directed at mentally disabled. The crowd was upset, with a large section turning their back on him and chanting "Don't bring him back." It hurt the crowd until the main event. Promoter Andy Quildan seemed upset and offered an apology before the main event started saying that everyone was welcome at RevPro. (thanks to Duncan Burdett)

33 minutes ago, Peck said:

Has this been mentioned anywhere?

• There was a lot of talk regarding an incident at the Revolution Pro show at the Cockpit in London today. Kurtis Chapman wrestled Chris Ridgeway. Sam Adonis came out and made a number of homophobic slurs, the f word, the h word and also used slurs directed at mentally disabled. The crowd was upset, with a large section turning their back on him and chanting "Don't bring him back." It hurt the crowd until the main event. Promoter Andy Quildan seemed upset and offered an apology before the main event started saying that everyone was welcome at RevPro. (thanks to Duncan Burdett)

Ironically I was just coming to post about it

Now due to Adonis' gimmick, I am assuming there will be a lot of "HE IS JUST BEING A HEEL!" 

Ignoring the idea of using that for heel heat... talk about not reading the room

Nick Gage having a moment with a bunch of children post-show is one of my favorite memories ever. But even Nick Gage was shook up by the SCI Prom. I need to find the photo of poor Dylan Hales watching helplessly as Gage and Kerry Awful destroy this high school.

I imagine that to Mexicans his gimmicks is way more insulting, but it resulted in great run with Blue Panther and Negro Casas matches, and from what I understand CMLL would still be using him if not for some trademark disputes. Not saying that what he said is ok or cool, but he has shown that he can deliver enjoyable story while being insulting so overall I'm willing to give him benefit of a doubt.

But at the end of the day if RevPro's audience doesn't want to see him again then RevPro obviously shouldn't book him for more matches. I guess we could also wonder why RevPro booked him in the first place? You can say that maybe Sam Adonis should read the room (I'd argue that he read the room and deliberately said these things since he understood that that would be most insulting), but surely RevPro looked at his body of work and could have figured out that it isn't going to work well in their house.

So I think that either RevPro is not very good at checking people that they book (which I find unlikely since Adonis isn't some unknown indie wrestler) or that they approved of whole thing and now are walking back after seeing that their audience revolted.

Edit: This reminds me a bit of some promotions booking Elgin and trying to rationalize that they wouldn't have gotten Naito otherwise and how sorry they are about booking Elgin. I don't really buy it.

10 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Nick Gage having a moment with a bunch of children post-show is one of my favorite memories ever. But even Nick Gage was shook up by the SCI Prom. I need to find the photo of poor Dylan Hales watching helplessly as Gage and Kerry Awful destroy this high school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am actually working on helping Sam run a show (www.luchapittsburgh.com)   and have known him and his family since he was 15.  I was surprised when I heard of this as he can cut a great promo without needing cheap heat.  I don't agree with the comments he made but after speaking with him I believe it may have been done to start a CMLL-Rev Pro angle. I think things got way out of hand and the words used should never be used in a wrestling or public setting.

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I am actually working on helping Sam run a show (www.luchapittsburgh.com)   and have known him and his family since he was 15.  I was surprised when I heard of this as he can cut a great promo without needing cheap heat.  I don't agree with the comments he made but after speaking with him I believe it may have been done to start a CMLL-Rev Pro angle. I think things got way out of hand and the words used should never be used in a wrestling or public setting.

If it was done to start an inter-promotional angle .... well that's the dumbest way in history to start an inter-promotional angle. 

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Exactly! You can easily get heel heat by doing a pro-Trump gimmick and saying awful things about marginalized groups of people without actually dropping inappropriate slurs. (James Woods does it on Twitter literally every day.) Regardless of how he actually feels, Adonis fucked up.

The Progress show in Bost- er, Melrose MA was pretty killer, with Bate vs Riddle kicking all sorts of ass. Chris Brooke's surprise partner vs Dunne/Seven was Jonathan Gresham, so that ruled too. Biggest heat was on Grizzled Young Vets, which made LAX huge faces. Crowd was pretty full too, been great to see that hall full up twice now after a number of shows had been more lightly attended. 

It was definitely interesting to see to see a show with NXT, ROH, and Impact talent. 

• Like 1

The Melrose show was top-to-bottom one of my favorite live experiences ever.  A good part of that is probably owing to Jim Smallman and co. really making it feel like a proper Progress experience and not just a Northeast indie show with Progress regulars.  On that note, one of the best crowds I've ever been a part of, and it seemed like most everyone took the "don't be a dick" ethos to heart.

Weakest match of the show might have been Eddie Dennis/RSP, but even that was a fun, beefy brawl.

TK Cooper/Kid Lykos was a great opener, if a little nearfall heavy so early on.  Lykos' whole deal has traditionally been pretty eyeroll-inducing to me, but this is my first time seeing him at all post-injury and he's a ton of fun to get behind live. (And double-checking something I just saw he suffered another injury.  Brutal.)

Grizzled Young Vets/LAX was amazing, and LAX were over huge.  They're pure energy, and played off the heels like a dream. (Also, my girlfriend made sure to inform me that James Drake is extremely physically attractive.  Several times.  So, that.)

Trent and Pete vs Brookes and Gresham was also fantastic closing out the first half, blending equal parts comedy and BSS/CCK strong style strikes and grappling.  Gresham got put over huge by Trent post-match in one of the most touching displays I've been present for, and he absolutely deserves a showcase in a BOSJ/CWC-style setting as voiced by Seven. (Sidebar: Trent is a sneaky pick for one of my favorite guys going right now; just a dude in his mid-30s with a dad bod, effortlessly tying together tremendous physical charisma and comedic aptitude with Best of King's Road tribute offense.  It just works for me.)

Haskins/Andrews definitely checked the box for the "traditional Progress showcase" bout coming out of the break.  Good match, if exactly as expected.

Jordynne Grace/Solo Darling was legit one of my favorite matches of the night.  Great job making a one-off pairing of American talents feel important on this show, especially with the likes of Jinny and Toni Storm absent on the women's front.

Both Havoc/Flash and Bate/Riddle felt like they were a little rushed to close the show, perhaps due to an earlier delay after the second match and into intermission caused by an issue with the ring.  Regardless, the former was a lot of fun and gave the crowd every reason to pop for Havoc like they clearly wanted to (I wasn't even aware of how the Flash/Haskins/Havoc story had fallen out lately), and the latter was the indie big match epic you'd expect.  Insane stuff dished out and taken by both Bate and Riddle, and it was good to catch presumably one of Matt's last handful of indie dates.

• Like 1