DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Melrose isn't Boston, but it's a great venue in a nice town. Bate and Seven are supposed to go against Brooks and a mystery partner. Also from what I saw of Banks in the latest WWE tournament, his yelling after every move wore thin quick so I'm down with Bate/Riddle all the way.

• Thanks 1

We get WALTER vs. Jimmy Havoc in Seattle, so I really don't give a shit about what else is on the show, though I'm sure it'll be great. I would've been so sad if WALTER didn't fuck shit up on the west coast.

Imagine watching Brian Cage vs PCO at Beyond Wrestling Americanrana 2018 tonight and not think PCO is awesome.   Don't get me wrong he isn't smooth at times but for his age and size to be doing the same moves he did in 1995 is just nuts

We are getting Nick Gage & Matt Tremont for the Janela vs David Starr NRBW match and they might already be the best commentary team in indie wrestling  

• Like 2

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

We get WALTER vs. Jimmy Havoc in Seattle, so I really don't give a shit about what else is on the show, though I'm sure it'll be great. I would've been so sad if WALTER didn't fuck shit up on the west coast.

I'm not sold on Jimmy Havoc outside of hardcore matches, but he's a sicko for punishment and I'm sure WALTER will have no problem dishing it out on him, so this should be really fun.

Jealous you all are getting PROGRESS events in your states.

Vinnie on the Bryan and Vinnie show was very critical of Havoc in his match with Filthy for MLW, but Havoc is actually pretty smart for a deathmatch guy. His storylines in the early days of Progress were so well put together and executed. He's a great promo too and at his best as a piece of shit heat magnet like in 2015. I think he'll be a very good opponent for WALTER but just getting to see and hear the chaaaahps in person is what I want out of the show. I do hope they stay away from the stitches in Jimmy's arm from that MLW match though. I can only imagine WALTER chopping guy's arm and opening the wound up.

Yes that was announced on the Beyond show last night.  They even did one of those King of Trios event center during intermission.  Although I figure it will be last the other Smartmark video companies in that what is shown will be kind of random

Guest Edwin
9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Vinnie on the Bryan and Vinnie show was very critical of Havoc in his match with Filthy for MLW, but Havoc is actually pretty smart for a deathmatch guy. His storylines in the early days of Progress were so well put together and executed. He's a great promo too and at his best as a piece of shit heat magnet like in 2015. I think he'll be a very good opponent for WALTER but just getting to see and hear the chaaaahps in person is what I want out of the show. I do hope they stay away from the stitches in Jimmy's arm from that MLW match though. I can only imagine WALTER chopping guy's arm and opening the wound up.

Agreed on Havoc's first PROGRESS run. That was quite unbelievable and easily the highlight of the first PROGRESS shows. Him being the baby face fan favorite loser before turning on them and wrecking havoc (uh?) was great.

Loved him teaming with Darby Allin and Priscilla Kelly in MLW, too. Sucks EVOLVE pulled the plug on that and they had to break them up.

I haven't watched MLW Fusion aside from the first two episodes, but it's crazy that 95% of the feedback they get is nostalgia driven replies on Tony Schiavone's commentary. 

Guest Edwin

Was going to post this in the EVOLVE thread, but it also applied here -- is Josh Briggs as generic everywhere else as he is in EVOLVE? I watched him on several EVOLVE shows and he strikes me as a generic big guy who walks to the ring with his hair covering his face because he's angry and depressed because he couldn't find his favorite metal band t-shirt at Hot Topic.

Despite those being semi squashes, he doesn't strike me as an unstoppable imposing monster or anything.

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Imagine watching Brian Cage vs PCO at Beyond Wrestling Americanrana 2018 tonight and not think PCO is awesome.   Don't get me wrong he isn't smooth at times but for his age and size to be doing the same moves he did in 1995 is just nuts

We are getting Nick Gage & Matt Tremont for the Janela vs David Starr NRBW match and they might already be the best commentary team in indie wrestling  

I was blown away by how legit GOOD Nick Gage was on commentary. Hearing him commentate on that deathmatch matter of factly stating that David Starr was going into shock from the punishment gave me chills. I really hope that whenever his body finally gives out on him he still hangs around as an "expert analyst" for those sorts of shows and matches.

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Was going to post this in the EVOLVE thread, but it also applied here -- is Josh Briggs as generic everywhere else as he is in EVOLVE? I watched him on several EVOLVE shows and he strikes me as a generic big guy who walks to the ring with his hair covering his face because he's angry and depressed because he couldn't find his favorite metal band t-shirt at Hot Topic.

Despite those being semi squashes, he doesn't strike me as an unstoppable imposing monster or anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Needs to gain some weight imo.

On Saturday, August 4th, if you have a Roku and B-Movie TV, there's a 2hr live streamed "pay per view) of their wrestling show, Fully Gimmicked Fight Club.

Not sure who will be wrestling, but I imagine it will be a fun time.

DjdqVgmW4AETV73?format=jpg

Boston line-up finalized. Five matches I'm really into in Bate/Riddle, Haskins/Andrews, BSS/Brookes & ???, Grizzled Young Vets/LAX, and Flash/Havoc, and everything should be at least fun. Definitely looking forward to Sunday.

• Like 1

Bandido/Horus/Flamita vs. British Strong Style? Yes, please!

So glad Artemis Spencer is on the show too. Guy is awesome and not long ago came back from having his ankle shattered by a fucking forklift. Happy with the show.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

So glad Artemis Spencer is on the show too. Guy is awesome and not long ago came back from having his ankle shattered by a fucking forklift. Happy with the show.

I haven't seen Arty live in forever, but when I worked for ASW this past weekend in Vancouver and Cloverdale, he put on a clinic. The guy is just so smooth in the ring.

Man I am so hyped up for SCI this weekend. I'll be rolling into Chattanooga tomorrow night. Plan to make myself available for everyone over the weekend. Will be calling the tournament with Dan "The Dragon" Wilson again, and I'm hoping to be around for the Future Showcase tournament too, so I can take notes and hopefully bring some guys to NC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Is it on Powerbomb or otherwise streaming?

It will eventually be on Powerbomb. 

Streammed live I don't know - Powerbomb hasn't even announced their upcoming schedule yet

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

I just signed up for Powerbomb (literally as they were putting up the barb wire for Janela/Starr).  Anyone got any recommendations for promotions or shows I should prioritize?

Are you specifically looking for full shows to watch?

If so, then the Beyond Americarana's are usually star filled indy super shows.

I signed up for about months and cancelled it as I got bored, but what I did was search for specific wrestlers and watch the matches on there that intrigued me, so that's a good way to start watching stuff.

Guest Edwin

Old, but watch this. It features Teddy Hart vs. Homicide vs. Eddie Kingston in a Three Way New Jersey Street Fight.

GCW and MLW are dropping the ball by booking Teddy and Homicide on the same show and not having them interact.

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

IWA Mid-South booked Larry D & Michael Elgin vs. PCO & Scott Norton. Beefy! 

Not a fan of Elgin's, but PCO and Norton is too good of a tag team to pass on this.

Hope it gets streamed on Powerbomb TV.