DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

With most crowds if you announce that Wheatus is playing at a wrestling show you are like "cool".   But with that fan base that consists of a bunch of IWA Mid South and CZW fans, that place is going to be nuts for them.   

This will be wrestling version of the people at Skynard fans screaming 'FREEBIRD' the entire concert because that is what they came for :lol:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

With most crowds if you announce that Wheatus is playing at a wrestling show you are like "cool".   But with that fan base that consists of a bunch of IWA Mid South and CZW fans, that place is going to be nuts for them.   

This will be wrestling version of the people at Skynard fans screaming 'FREEBIRD' the entire concert because that is what they came for :lol:

I'd be yelling "Gimme Back My Bullets", and that is 100% due to the Briscoes using it as their theme during the glory days of ROH.

• Like 1

Also why do people continue to book Low Ki? I know in the ring he is great but has he ever worked for any promotion where he didn't end up leaving after a gigantic falling out?

21 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Also why do people continue to book Low Ki? I know in the ring he is great but has he ever worked for any promotion where he didn't end up leaving after a gigantic falling out?

Having never been involved in indy wrestling outside of being a fan, I can only assume promoters believe Low Ki will draw people in because he is a known commodity and when he wants to will likely put on a great match.

The MLW Battle Riot was actually a lot of fun. Match went an hour but never really dragged and it held my attention for the whole thing. Good job by them.

Since some folks seemed a bit interested in the Australian indy scene, thought i'd post a few recent matches from some of the bigger promotions here, some guys that are known to some fans outside Australia and some guys that stick to their own country and in some cases just wrestle in their own city, but are awesome all the same. Bit of variety in the feds and the matches. The Ugg vs Jonah Rock match in particular is really good if you ignore the commentary and that it was before PWA stepped up their production. Ugg is one of those guys that just wins crowds over, the character is a little silly, but he doesn't really play it for laughs either. Just a crazy athletic 300+ lb monster.

• Like 1

Yeah, he's just a freakishly strong guy. I don't live in Sydney anymore so i've missed most of their feud, but Ugg vs Jonah in a cage in a few weeks is a match that's worth flying back to Sydney for a weekend for.

Well I think it is safe the say that if you can run a show in northern Virginia in a Elks Lodge it is the best decision.  First of all you can serve alcohol which really livened up the crowd is a surprisingly good way. Not as many  smaller under 500 buildings have that option.   Luckily Nova Pro Wrestling fans are good drunks and not CZW kind of drunks.  ?   The best thing is because it is a private residence the Virginia state rules are a lit bit more relaxed and boy did Nick Gage vs Tim Donst prove that.  I believe tonight was the first ever light tube shot in the state in just a wild brawl with chairs, trash cans, and even doors.    Even blood from Nick Gage although that was mostly after the finish.   When Nick Gage tells the fans before the match that you better get ready because this is going to be crazy he ain't fucking lying. 

Also if you can catch Timothy Thatcher vs Jonathan Gresham definitely do it.  A really great match as Gresham is the technical wizard trying to do all these against a beast in Thatcher who just takes a ton of punishment and can also deliver it.  I have always loved Thatcher and never understood the hate he gets although as a heel he is so much better than when he was a face as EVOLVE champion.   Gresham may be one of the 5 best technical guys on the indies right now.  Shame he is kind of wasted in ROH

• Like 2

Probably the same reason they brought Blue Meanie and Tommy Dreamer in.  It is a guy with a name.  An awful guy with a name but still.  The other guy with Tony on Fusion is okay but he is a real unknown.  Trying to make the show seem more important .  

Battle Riot is my first exposure to PCO and boy am I not impressed. Also this is a pretty bad match - I'm up to #30 and good fucking god this is kinda bad. Striker is unbearable on commentary (and I like him on Lucha Underground actually). A lot of the entrants in this match are super unnecessary. There's been like 3 or 4 "big" wrestlers that basically can't move. The veterans that are entrants are pretty embarrassing in-ring.

Tom Lawlor is the only saving grace of this entire match. 

I've only gone to a handful of wrestling shows ever, all in the last couple years (besides ECW once in the mid 90s), all in Massachusetts for either Evolve or Beyond. Matt Riddle has been on every card. I bought a ticket for the upcoming Progress show, where the main event was gonna be Tyler Bate vs Travis Banks, but Banks is injured so his replacement? Matt Fucking Riddle. 

Not complaining, hell no, can't wait - just found it funny.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I've only gone to a handful of wrestling shows ever, all in the last couple years (besides ECW once in the mid 90s), all in Massachusetts for either Evolve or Beyond. Matt Riddle has been on every card. I bought a ticket for the upcoming Progress show, where the main event was gonna be Tyler Bare vs Travis Banks, but Banks is injured so his replacement? Matt Fucking Riddle. 

Not complaining, hell no, can't wait - just found it funny.

Banks is alright, but can really go overboard at times, so Riddle is an upgrade. Should be an awesome match.

Have fun!

My girlfriend has wanted to go to Boston forever. I suggested going this upcoming weekend for our anniversary. When Progress happened to be touring the US.

What a coincidence...

Bate/Riddle should be awesome. Curious what Dunne ends up doing, though I imagine he's teaming with Trent against someone, given the Tyler singles bout, and Grizzled Young Vets main eventing vs LAX/EYFBO.

Bummed that WALTER and Toni Storm won't be on those cards, but still pumped to see Haskins, Andrews, Flash, and whatever surprises are in store.

• Like 1