DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

32 minutes ago, BNosanchuk said:

I listened to Post Wrestling's G1 Climax 'primer' podcast. Its a good listen for less-than-casual to casual NJPW fans going into the G1 Climax; history and background of the tournament, each of the guys, their highlights and big moments through the year. Near the end as they were freeballing names that were not included. One mentioned Jeff Cobb and the other mentioned Walter. He didn't stand out to me, the one time I saw him, but I liked their line of thinking. The number of opponents and the variety of matches he could potentially have intrigues me, probably more than Cobb, who I'm a huge fan of. 

Walter wrestled their last UK shows, has Ishii coming up and looks headed for a Minoru Suzuki title challenge. So I’d say he’s firmly on their radar.

• Like 1

On July 6th the Empire Supporters Club presents our annual charity fundraiser Forza Lucha 6 at the Holy Cross Rec Center in Harrison a short walk on Frank Rodgers Blvd from Red Bull Arena (where we will be playing NE that evening). This year's show is a tribute to our good friend and one of our most beloved members Glenn Stamp who tragically passed away last year. Doors are at 1pm and the show starts at 2pm. Admission is $10 and kids are free. Trust me, these shows are ALWAYS a total blast so you don't want to miss this!!!

Did I mention there is going to be the first ever "Small Children Bring The Weapons" match on the show??? Main event is the beloved Forza Lucha legend Oleg the Usurper vs Matt "Bad Apple" MacIntosh.

Finally got around to watching WALTER vs. Darby Allin and it's my favourite North American match from 2018 that I've seen to date. A lot of great matches end with me thinking "those two have an even better match between them", but not this one. This was perfect from bell to bell and even the post-match was spot on. Amazing. Watch this match. In my mind, they are the perfect opponents for each other and both are at the top of their games, with WALTER being the best dominant big man today and Darby as the best little man hitting insane hope spots and bumping/selling his ass off for 90% of the match.

Other WALTER matches watched: vs. Yuji Nagata from the Rev Pro SSE second night. Not good and they were on separate pages the entire match. Clunky and neither wanted to adjust their style or even meet somewhere in the middle. Probably the worst WALTER match I've seen. The other was vs. Dragunov from WXW True Colors 2018. Not even remotely as good as their 2017 16 Carat Gold bout but still fun. I was exhausted though and fading in and out of consciousness, so I can't really comment too much on it.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Stoked for the MLW card tonight. First time seeing Teddy Hart live. He's wrestling John Hennigan. I'm just hoping he somehow runs into Low Ki on the card or they give him a mic. for 5 or so minutes.

Guest Edwin

Thanks @Oyaji!

Teddy is awesome. He wrestled Johnny Hennigan first and then Vandal Ortagun from the CWC. He wasn't wreckless and is way over.

Jimmy Havoc got a nasty cut on his arm. They rushed the finish and it seems he was rushed to the hospital.

Strickland dropped the title to Low Ki in a total shocker. Strickland is announced in title defenses for the next 2 shows, but I hope this doesn't mean he's signed with EVOLVE and won't be returning.

Aria Blake turned on Joey Janela. I'm guessing they're bringing Penelope Ford.

Pentagón Jr. and Rey Fénix vs. ACH and Rich Swann was a crazy PWG tornado tag match style match.

Kotto Brazil took a wild swing with Sami Callihan's baseball bat and hit Sawyer Fulton really hard in the back and left a nasty welt.

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Finally got around to watching WALTER vs. Darby Allin and it's my favourite North American match from 2018 that I've seen to date. A lot of great matches end with me thinking "those two have an even better match between them", but not this one. This was perfect from bell to bell and even the post-match was spot on. Amazing. Watch this match. In my mind, they are the perfect opponents for each other and both are at the top of their games, with WALTER being the best dominant big man today and Darby as the best little man hitting insane hope spots and bumping/selling his ass off for 90% of the match.

It was like the perfect storm of styles coming together. Everything just worked and the crowd was into it the whole way. Love love love that match.

I'm torn if I want to go to MCW this weekend for the Shane Shamrock Cup.  Definitely not  going tonight due to date night but there's a possibility for tomorrow.  You can't go wrong with the fact that Mark F'n Henry will be there and why wouldn't I go.  But we'll see what happens.  There's some names in the tournament but the only one worth checking out is 2 Cold Scorpio (if I miss him due to a first round loss then I'll be kicking myself for sure)

I ended up going to MCW tonight and it was mostly pretty good matches.  Had a great time and can't help but wonder why it took me over 6 months to come back.  But while there's typing mistakes in my tweets I can say that I saw Mark Henry live.  Holy motherfuck is he huge and he was insanely beloved.  For the sake of space I'll put the tweets in the spoiler tags.

And 2 Cold Scorpio was in the Shane Shamrock Cup final and while he did tire out pretty easily he did most of his stuff well and looked great.  Really happy that I saw him live.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, Edwin said:

Forgot to mention, Fred Yehi is a member of Team Filthy.

Doesn't Filthy's suspension end this fall? I wonder if UFC still lets him wrestle.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, Oyaji said:

Teddy Hart is the best train wreck. I would pay close attention to how hard (or not) he tries to catch Mundo during dives. Have fun!

If you (or anyone) is a Powerbomb subscriber, Teddy vs. Janela vs. PCO vs. Kobe Durst from the most recent C*4 show features an all-time "Teddy doesn't feel like catching him" moment.

• Haha 1

Terrible news for PROGRESS, which has really lost a ton of steam this last year. They're getting squeezed by the Rev Pro/NJPW alliance and the WWE hookup really hasn't paid too many dividends outside of assorted one-offs by NXT loaners and now a lot of their main stars are gonna be at the whim of NXTUK. Plus, the booking hasn't been great.  

• Like 2