DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Drove 10 hours, puked from motion sickness from the damned route out to the coastal highway 1, dropped my shit off and went to King of the Indies. Don't regret it! Dragon Lee is a fucking mad man working like he did tonight before going out there to wrestle Hiromu tomorrow. Jacob Fatu is going to be awesome. Flip is already learning to emote, so that's something to fill the gaps between spots. Cobb is awesome. Thatcher is awesome. Taguchi was the most over guy there and clearly the smartest though by no means did he mail it in. Brody king tries really hard I guess. 

It was also grossly hot in there even though it was lovely outside and Meltz+Alvarez were in the house. 

• Like 1

GF and I were in the house for KOI. Fucking Alverez was the first one I spotted and I fucking marked out to myself. First round matches were good with the standout being Taguchi vs. Dragon Lee. Agreed with Oyaji that Taguchi was the most over. I really wish they could bring him back more often, but him being a NJPW guy makes that hard. The botched finish to the Thatcher vs. Brody match really soured me on Brody, but I heard others like him. I think this was the third time Flip Gordon came in for APW, and he continues to impress. He's been making the rounds as we've seen and I think his performances last night should help keep that going. It was my first time seeing Dragon Lee; he was great. I'm looking more forward to his match tonight and will continue to follow his career. 

Savoy vs. Mrs. Mundo was ok. The brawling in the crowd helped, but that double count out finish sucked. Renos tag match was good and prob the second hottest match of the night. Adam Thornstone. This is the guy who won their KOI tourny they resurrected in 2015 and the highest profile run I've seen from him was that short Reno Scum tag run with Impact. I know he got hurt. I'm just sorta surprised he's not one of the names we've seen on more cards in higher profile matches.  

If you have axs and are at home turn on the njpw show because Lee is going to work Hiromu Takahashi and they only have insane matches. Like the best balls to the wall sprints. 

Agree with your thoughts. Thought Taya looked very good as usual and Savoy was fine. I wanted no part of that reno scum tag but it was well done. 

Looking at the whole BOLA lineup.

PCO- Crazy old man willing to do anything, this should be fun.

Brody King - Upcoming big guy, he's got skill. 

Jody Fleisch - That's so out of nowhere. I don't know what to expect from him these days. 

Ilja Dragunov - A total firecracker of a presence and a wrestler, give him the right opponent and you'll have a banger.

Robbie Eagles - Haven't seen him, read he's fairly good., 

Joey Janela - Total nutter as everyone knows. 

Puma King - Don't even know him, I've read positive things. 

David Starr - An excellent wrestler who has gotten better with every showing in PWG. 

Rey Horus - Good flyer.

Chris Brookes - I know he's a big deal in the UK, but I've seen very little of him. 

Matt Riddle - Hell of a wrestler as long as he doesn't bust out his goofy super indy shit like trading Canadian Destroyers for no reason. That has no purpose. Leave that to undercards in Mexico

Darby Allin - Very different, but busts his ass and is a good wrestler.

Shingo - Still an excellent wrestler and maybe shock people how good he is now. 

Cima - He's older now, but he can still do some stuf.

Walter - Best big man going in wrestling right now. Knows what to do and when to do it and how to build matches. 

Timothy Thatcher - Great throwback catch guy, needs the right opponent. Don't make him face CIMA., 

Jeff Cobb - Good wrestler. Arguably better against big brutes.

Travis Banks - Very good wrestler with a few quirks and what not, but he can hang.

T-Hawk - Some don't like him, but he's good. 

DJ-Z - I haven't seen him in years and am told he's still just mostly a guy. 

Jonah Rock - Very underrated big man who can have a very good hoss fight or go with a multitude of styles.

Flamita - Great flyer like everyone already knows.

Bandido - Great up and coming young flyer. Very fun team with Flamita.

Adam Brooks - Outside of a few things, usually when wrestling Ospreay, he's probably the most complete heel type wrestler out of Australia with a lot of charisma.

The match-ups are what determines the quality here. If they throw out WALTER vs Bandido, it's going to be strange. Etc.

I've seen a lot of WALTER for many many years. I prefer his style. Nothing wrong with Damo. He's probably just as good. WWE just has no clue what the hell they're doing.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Robbie Eagles - Haven't seen him, read he's fairly good., 

Robbie's a really interesting guy, he's been one of the top guys in Australia for the last 7 or 8 years now, he's mostly known here for being the underdog high flying babyface, but he can mat wrestle and brawl really well and as a heel he's an awesome irritating little shit.

I can't stand Eagles. He and Brody are two of the main reasons I'm not digging this edition of pwg. Dragunov and Walter are two of the best going imo and Shingo is a god. Despite not loving some of this field, the main dudes are going to make it so fucking great. Darby needs a big match because I doubt he's making it far. 

11 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

Robbie's a really interesting guy, he's been one of the top guys in Australia for the last 7 or 8 years now, he's mostly known here for being the underdog high flying babyface, but he can mat wrestle and brawl really well and as a heel he's an awesome irritating little shit.

I had to look up if he was connected to Madison Eagles. Brother and sister in law.

RE: Any issues with Brody King in general, remember he debuted in 2015 and didn't start a really full time schedule til 2017. So, he's still very new. Give him a few years.

Guest Edwin

MLW card for Thursday night:

MLW World Title: Shane Strickland (c) vs. Low Ki
MLW World Tag Team Title: Pentagón Jr. & Rey Fénix vs. ACH & Rich Swann
Jimmy Havoc vs. Tom Lawlor
John Hennigan vs. Teddy Hart
Jake Hager vs. Fred Yehi
Falls Count Anywhere: Joey Janela vs. MJF
Jason Cade vs. Jimmy Yuta

I'm going if I can get tickets with reserved seating tonight.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:00 AM, odessasteps said:

I had to look up if he was connected to Madison Eagles. Brother and sister in law.

The Eagles clan are all great. Ryan Eagles doesn't wrestle much anymore, but he's still a guy who could kill it on any indy fed, shame the most exposure he ever got outside of Australia was a cup of coffee in CZW a while back.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:26 PM, BNosanchuk said:

So the Reno Scum vs. Thatcher & that Walter guy tag was last night. I dunno, I guess Walter was ok, but having seen other big men like a Keith Lee live (and even Uhaa Nation before NXT), Lee does the big man thing to a much better degree. There was clearly a moment watching them and thinking, "Ok, I can see what the hype and praise is for." I can't say I felt that watching Walter live. I guess he's known for his chops. They were ok, but didn't seem to be the needle mover they were built up as. He was a bigger version of Tim Thatcher, which is cool, but when you're already teaming with Thatcher, one Thatcher is enough for any team.  

On 7/8/2018 at 4:20 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

I've seen a little bit of Walter... But best big man in wrestling? I gotta go with Big Damo.

I've seen Walter on some PWG DVDs (just finished Neon Knights, still catching up to current) and I'm not really impressed.  So far, all I've seen is a big dude with not much of a look and not much in the way of offense.  But hey he chops the shit out of people for real until their chests bleed and I guess that's supposed to be cool?  I always thought it was supposed to be a work but YMMV I guess.

I'll keep an open mind, though.  I used to dislike Sabre but somewhere in Japan the dude learned how to work and he's pretty great now, so who knows?

Walter, I think, is the somewhat inevitable counterpoint to the run of big men who thrived on demonstrating unexpected athleticism with a kind of quirky, winking charm. (An archetype I love, fwiw. Hero's last indie run is about my favorite thing ever.) It's a work, yes; but the work only works if people buy-in, and Walter is easy to believe. He hits people hard, and snugs up every hold. He very consistently presents himself as a serious wrestler who seriously wrestles. There are no cute cartwheel spots, and few moments where his performance gestures to the crowd and asks, "Hey, isn't it neat that I can do this? Aren't we having fun?" (His chops achieving meme status threatens this, I think.)

• Like 1

Add to that he's really smart regarding match structure and when to give and when to take. Reminds me of Vader in that regard. His opponents really have to work to get their shit in. 

I listened to Post Wrestling's G1 Climax 'primer' podcast. Its a good listen for less-than-casual to casual NJPW fans going into the G1 Climax; history and background of the tournament, each of the guys, their highlights and big moments through the year. Near the end as they were freeballing names that were not included. One mentioned Jeff Cobb and the other mentioned Walter. He didn't stand out to me, the one time I saw him, but I liked their line of thinking. The number of opponents and the variety of matches he could potentially have intrigues me, probably more than Cobb, who I'm a huge fan of.