DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Ha, I was at my niece’s dance recital last weekend, and the dance instructor was in the main role of Snow White.  I thought, “Damn, she’s booking the territory to put herself over.”

Turns out the girl who was supposed to play the role broke her foot at the last minute.

• Like 2

Nova Pro just announced that they will be running Timothy Thatcher vs. Jonathan Gresham on their July 28 show

Now I have to figure out how to get out of the family trip to New York that weekend...

7 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Ha, I was at my niece’s dance recital last weekend, and the dance instructor was in the main role of Snow White.  I thought, “Damn, she’s booking the territory to put herself over.”

I have seen the elementary school music teacher book herself a solo in the middle of an act and wondered WTF she was thinking. Like we all crammed into this airless gym to listen to HER play for a bunch of kids. Shitty Booking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I have seen the elementary school music teacher book herself a solo in the middle of an act and wondered WTF she was thinking. Like we all crammed into this airless gym to listen to HER play for a bunch of kids. Shitty Booking!

I bet she went all Stephanie and cut the balls off all those kids.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Okay - the update list of announced BOLA participants is

PCO
Brody King
Jody Fleisch
Ilja Dragunov
Robbie Eagles
Joey Janela
Puma King
David Starr
Rey Horus
Chris Brookes

What's funny is that at least for now - this year is much more interesting than years past and previous years had multiple guys I loved

6 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I've seen good things mentioned about Ilja Dragunov here and there.  Any matches of his I should check out?

Pretty much if it involves him wrestling WALTER - watch it

• Like 3

Their match at 16 Carat last year is one of the best you're likely to see this decade imo. His big title challenge vs. Bad Bones was scary because of headshots but really well done.

I really don't dig PWG's rebuild this turn around. I don't want to stop watching but this field looks like dog shit outside of Ilja and to a lesser extend David Starr. I loved WALTER vs. PCO but I don't know if it and PCO's lost old man eyes are things I'd want to see on a regular basis. All three of Starr, PCO, and Dragunov have had outstanding matches, and from what I've seen, their best matches with WALTER. It's almost like WALTER is really good.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I didn't even read Puma King as Puma... I take it back. TWO guys of interest and a lot of hard passes and indifference.

You not wanting to see Rey Horus makes me sad

And having seen him live - PCO is definitely still a hoot and a half.

Plus he is a great person to be around guys. At the Nova Pro show - I just happened to be sitting close enough to the "dressing room" (basically the part of the gym that was drapped off for the wrestlers) and you could hear PCO holding court with some of the younger guys giving little tips and tricks in match layout and selling, etc..

• Like 1

Glad to hear that. I hope he can parlay the WALTER match into a career revival and not just fade away into obscurity. But still, that match had some scary spots that I hope he doesn't try to pull off every time he's out there. 

Rey Horus has the one fantastic ddt spot but I never come away loving his matches in PWG or LU. He's looked tentative/sloppy in PWG for the most part though he's seemed to settle as of late.

It's looking more and more like Brody King is a guy they'll put all their weight behind and I get why. He's a big guy that does agility spots and the SoCal crowd loves him. To me, he's getting these big spots that he hasn't earned yet and I'm not impressed with his slow motion high flying when Chris Hero was doing shit at a way bigger size about 10x smoother. I also don't buy the tough guy/striker offense and no selling. Just don't get him, I guess. I don't really care for the majority of the new guys PWG has turned to and BOLA seems to be all about them.

The Unsigned Hype vibe to this year's BOLA line-up does pique my interest more than usual in comparison to past fields full of guys already or soon-to-be entangled with major promotions.

So the Reno Scum vs. Thatcher & that Walter guy tag was last night. I dunno, I guess Walter was ok, but having seen other big men like a Keith Lee live (and even Uhaa Nation before NXT), Lee does the big man thing to a much better degree. There was clearly a moment watching them and thinking, "Ok, I can see what the hype and praise is for." I can't say I felt that watching Walter live. I guess he's known for his chops. They were ok, but didn't seem to be the needle mover they were built up as. He was a bigger version of Tim Thatcher, which is cool, but when you're already teaming with Thatcher, one Thatcher is enough for any team. 

Pentagon vs. MVP was ok. APW has brought in both Pentagon and MVP a few times, and each time Pentagon really delivers; never felt a "mailed in" performance. Let's just say I wish MVP was a bit more motivated to have a kick ass match. Manny (MANSOOR) Faberino vs. Flip Gordon was fun; looking forward to seeing Mansoor continue to improve and grow. Same with Jacob Fatu. I think he did something with MLW a couple months ago, but I see him getting booked more and more outside CA. 

On 6/22/2018 at 10:09 PM, Godfrey said:

What an odd and intriguing line up so far. I haven't seen Jody Fleisch since he wore that super uncool mask in Michinoku Pro 20 years ago. He must have some sort of 1080 degree Brainbuster by now.

I had pretty much forgotten he existed and figured he'd retired until he was in Chikara last year.  While he isn't as spry as he was in 2002 he could still go.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:09 PM, Godfrey said:

What an odd and intriguing line up so far. I haven't seen Jody Fleisch since he wore that super uncool mask in Michinoku Pro 20 years ago. He must have some sort of 1080 degree Brainbuster by now.

So, I am the owner of a semi-pro grade version of that mask. I didn't realize just how awful it was when I saw the 1999 Mask League, and for whatever reason, l ordered it from Highspots. It came in the mail, and I was thoroughly blown away by the outlandish thing in my hands. It has sat in a box in my game room ever since.

Edited by grilledcheese