DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

I'm thining about trying to watch some MLW. Are Fusion episodes good place to start or should I start somewhere else so that I don't end up missing some cool story moments or whatever else?

I started with the first full event posted on the MLW youtube channel. Then started with Fusion Ep 01. It is easy to follow.

• Thanks 1

If the charges were dropped, why did he hop the border? Were they re-filed? Also, we would gladly extradite him to Canada.

4 hours ago, Archibald said:

I'm thining about trying to watch some MLW. Are Fusion episodes good place to start or should I start somewhere else so that I don't end up missing some cool story moments or whatever else?

I think their BeIn show is essentially a reboot. Ive caught 2 of their last 3 and it's not hard to follow. 

4 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Oof.

To those unaware; Teddy hopped the border to the US to avoid rape charges. Noooooot exactly the family-friendly image Chikara is going for.

Teddy Hart/Enzo/Jerry Lawler for King of Trios

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

If the charges were dropped, why did he hop the border? Were they re-filed? Also, we would gladly extradite him to Canada.

He'd no sell it.

• Haha 1

Speaking of Teddy Hart, he debuted at the MLW show last night and was the second most over act after the Lucha Bros. Teddy fits right at home in a promotion that books Sami Callihan and Rich Swann.  The show was pretty weak overall but I liked the tag team title match and Janela/MJF. 

Went to the WrestlePro show in Rahway yesterday and it was actually really good. Ultimo Dragon and Joey Janela had a basic but good match, nothing crazy or dangerous like you would see in a normal Janela match. And you know what, good for him. No need to kill yourself every night. Cabana had a fun match with some guy and the crowd absolutely LOVED it. I've never understood the Cabana hate here: he's incredibly entertaining, the crowds always enjoy his matches and the guy works his ass off to earn a very successful career. He was wearing a Chicago Sting shirt last night, how can anyone not love the guy. LAX had a match against a team who does a massage therapists gimmick where they massage their opponent's backs to the point where they pass out. They are actually real great and they should be on Impact. There was a 6 person ladder match with nobody anyone has heard of besides Fallah Bahh that was simply incredible with just mindblowing stuff. It's worth tracking this show down just for this match alone. The semi main was a dog collar match between Dan Maff and some guy that would've been an incredible ECW main event with crazy violence that really was great. Unfortunately there were 2 things that happened here that shouldn't be happening in wrestling in 2018. The first was that both guys bladed. One guy doing it these days is not smart, both guys doing it is extremely dumb. The second was Maff doing the Masato Tanaka no selling chairshots to the head spot. That was very uncomfortable to watch. The main even was a cage match with Kevin Mathews and some dude that is so ending up on Botchamania. Early in the match one guy went into the cage and that side of it fell down. The crew freaked out, rushed to the ring and held the side of the cage in place for most of the rest of the match before they could rig something to keep it in place. The guys actually did a remarkable job of keeping the match from completely falling apart. Later they did a spot where a guy was powerombed off the top of the cage through a door propped up by the corner and a chair. Unfortunately they completely missed the target. At the end they improvised and Matthews put the guy on the propped up door and went to the top of the cage to do a splash through it. The other guy moved (which was the plan) but as he did he caused the gimmicked door to break before Matthews could go through it. It appeared that Matthews got messed up on the landing and other guy immediately crawled out of the cage and they instantly threw on the house lights reminiscent of the time in Danbury where New Jack nearly killed himself going off that scaffold. Overall it was quite the night

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I survived a show where Homicide, PCO and Nick Gage were all in the same building

The only time I ever felt my survival was in jeopardy at a wrestling show was the Homicide/Necro Butcher chair riot @ ROH's Ring of Homicide. Fun yet scary at the same time. 

The “shitty booking of rapists” bug is going around, I see.

If there is any silver lining, Bix playing up HOG on Twitter this morning and then saying “fuck” tonight would be it.

• Haha 1

Question: what did Sami do that makes everyone here hate him? Seriously I'd just like to know because I'm not up to date on wrestling sleaze.

There may be backstage/private reasons not to like him, but my main issue with him is he's sloppy and unsafe and seems to think that makes him a better wrestler instead of worse. Plus his crust punk, purification through violence gimmick is corny as hell.

His ex-wife has accused him domestic abuse.

Apparently she made the accusation on social media and there were there for awhile but when the Elgin thing blew up she deleted all the posts because "she didn't want him to be blackballed"

But that tends to be the #1 reason folks go to.

Though I have heard of backstage issues where Sami tends to bully indie feds into booking him and his friends strong at the expense of everything else (that is all via vague wrestling twitter stuff so who knows)

• Thanks 2

So Wheeler Yuta won the 2018 Commonwealth Cup beating Tracy Williams (who beat Fred Yehi to advance), Sage Phillips (who beat Dominic Garini), and Arik Royal (who beat PCO in a damn good hard hitting match).  Yuta advanced by beating Homicide when the ref screwed up a 3 count.   This would explain what happened after the main event as Homicide runs in after the match destroys Yuta, spits on and destroys the actual cup, and then gives Yuta a cop killer.  Then we get a classic Homicide promo talking about making sure to destroy Yuta and all of NOVA Pro (or Pro Wrestling NOVA as he called it) and then threatened to stalk the ref who screwed up the semis match and threatened his wife and kids.  I haven't been a fan of Homicide in the last some years but this whole weekend was the closest I have seen to the old Homicide that was so awesome in Ring of Honor and pre-Hogan and Russo TNA

Also I believe we are getting Nick Gage vs Tim Donst next month based on what happened in the Carnies vs "Safety First" Tim Donst/Nick Gage match.  Donst may be going back to his old CZW/AIW ways 

On 6/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, nate said:

Random thought: I wish the major indies with strong physical media presence (Chikara, PWG, ROH, the Gabe feds, hell even TNA*) would put out sets/comps for the "history of" their titles (World, tag).  It would be nice to see each title bout and watch the championship evolve.

*In immediate hindsight, maybe not TNA.

I was thinking something similar while watching some PWG last night.  SO MANY guys went through PWG en route to WWE that they could probably make money off comps similar to ROH's "Superstars of Honor" comp.

• Like 2