DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

PCO's hypeman is like a combination of Jimmy Hart, Mancow, and Andrew Dice Clay. 

How did we not know what kind of Dr. Frankenstein's monster PCO is 25 years ago? I liked him from the time he and Jacques first appeared on WWF TV as the Quebecers, but it's insane how good he still is at 50 years old. Is he having the best run a 50 year old has had since Nick Bockwinkel in the mid 80s?

57 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Bryan Alvarez returns to the squared circle for Black Label Pro in Crown Point, Indiana vs THE ROCK AND ROLL EXPRESS!

32769188_472480436542358_294847605635861

Can we start a “shoot, Ricky, shoot” fund.?

Guest Edwin
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is he having the best run a 50 year old has had since Nick Bockwinkel in the mid 80s?

Tenryu tore up everywhere in Japan at 50 and older.

Fujiwara, too.

PCO had a really good run in International Wrestling Syndicate in the early - mid 2000's.  Y'all should watch.  El Generico and Kevin Steen were working most of the same shows (both guys were just beginning to get booked in the US and weren't really names yet).

• Like 1

I didn't care for it at the time, but, in retrospect, I wish his pirate character - Jean-Pierre LaFitte - had gotten over.  Sure, it was goofy as anything, but so were a lot of gimmicks back then.  That's basically the charm of  early 90's WWF.

Edit: Also that pic of Tom Lawlor at the top of the page looks like what you get when you toss Sami Zayn and Curtis Axel's DNA in a blender. 

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Edit: Also that pic of Tom Lawlor at the top of the page looks like what you get when you toss Sami Zayn and Curtis Axel's DNA in a blender. 

That never crossed my mind until now and damn now I can't un-see it.

I like hearing Alvarez/Filthy on their show and I honestly liked the build to their tag match.  It did make me a bit interested to see how it'd turn out, but the rest of the show sounds pretty good too.  Might have to find a way to watch this.

41 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Alvarez is a BJJ teacher, isn't he? Not sure a 60(?) year old Ricky Morton should be starting too many fights...

Think of how much sympathy he'll draw though. The roof will blow off the place when Gibson gets the tag.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Think of how much sympathy he'll draw though. The roof will blow off the place when Gibson gets the tag.

If he can see Morton reaching for the tag.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, RIPPA said:

Well Page is signed with TNA so I am assuming that lets him avoid issues

I don't think he's got anything but a handshake deal since he hasn't done anything with them outside of Canada.  I mean, this is a company that hasn't bothered to get anything signed formally with three of their last four World Champions.

I would think the Impact open door/talent friendly policies would not stop guys from being on a stream. If the Callis/partner pod is doing Starrcast, that would be a sign of how they feel, probably.

12 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That never crossed my mind until now and damn now I can't un-see it.

I like hearing Alvarez/Filthy on their show and I honestly liked the build to their tag match.  It did make me a bit interested to see how it'd turn out, but the rest of the show sounds pretty good too.  Might have to find a way to watch this.

Black Label Pro is part of the Powerbomb.tv network of independent promotions. If we are lucky, Powerbomb might livestream it, given the F4W interest with booking Bryan Alvarez. If not, it will end up on demand at some point. Black Label Pro has a very unique booking style that stands out from other Indies (including being a Sami Callihan-free zone!) so bonus points from me.

• Thanks 1

Guest Edwin

Ehhh... Boiler Room Brawl?

I'll be out of the country so I'll miss this show, but I'm not sure how well that will go over with the live crowd.

I guess they will show the pre-recorded boiler room stuff on the big screen and it will spill into the ring at some point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

Ehhh... Boiler Room Brawl?

I'll be out of the country so I'll miss this show, but I'm not sure how well that will go over with the live crowd.

I guess they will show the pre-recorded boiler room stuff on the big screen and it will spill into the ring at some point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or the show is being held in a boiler room? I mean, this is indy wrestling so that's possible right???

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Or the show is being held in a boiler room? I mean, this is indy wrestling so that's possible right???

Depending on the Boiler Room and the promotion, that could be awesome.

• Like 1

I am catching up on some stuff. This was a good little video to hype this past weekends Jack Sexsmith vs. Travis Banks title match.

Haven't heard anything about the actual match though as the only stuff I heard about was the Toni Storm/Jinny match

Guest Edwin

Did this ever come full circle in GCW?

If so, then I must watch. The Teddy Hart and Homicide feud is the most underrated feud in pro-wres. history.

33077944_1643017149078994_1240813513488733243536_1644319225615453_16109649963327

At the Rutland May Days fair I spent this past long weekend organizing 7 shows in 3 days, which gave wrestlers the potential to wrestle 9 times (we did a BattleBowl gimmick on Friday night, and had a Royal Rumble gimmick to close out the Sunday "supershow" finale), and only wrestled twice. I spent most of the time reffing matches, and not to brag...the old man looked pretty good in there. Especially in the black tights: got a lot of compliments from the ladies about my butt. Maybe it's time to leave the bumping for the kids...

• Like 5