DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

On 4/29/2018 at 5:43 PM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Lol, KI is probably gonna regret cashing that check (well, eft).  

The good news is Bix is too smart to fall for Ki's nonsense, so, at most, one person got fleeced.

I'd watch a Hulu show about Low Ki training Bix to find the warrior within.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

And as per usual - Progress did the draw in the most random ridiculous way possible

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'd watch a Hulu show about Low Ki training Bix to find the warrior within.

I think this ground was covered much better in I'm With Busey.

• Like 2

Low Ki claims that he “disclosed” a training camp to prepare for his match with Matt Riddle. I am not sure what he meant by “disclosed” but I can only assume he means he underwent some special training regimen to prepare for this event.

Holy shit, he really is the "prison inmate who uses the wrong big words" from that In Living Color" skit mentioned earlier. 

• Haha 1

Apologies for the shill (and delete if not appropriate), but I was lucky enough to get some time to interview Flash Morgan Webster ahead of SSS16. For anyone who fancies a look, here is the link:

http://prowrestlingjournal.com/index.php/2018/05/02/constant-forward-progress-an-interview-with-flash-morgan-webster/

A genuinely enjoyable experience for me - Flash was a really engaging guy to talk to about wrestling.

Guest Edwin

Tomorrow's MLW card isn't looking as good as previous cards:

MLW World Title: Shane Strickland (c) vs. Pentagón Jr.
Rey Fénix vs. ACH
* Jeff Cobb vs. Jack Hager
Santana Garrett vs. Chelsea Green
MVP vs. Maxwell Jacob Friedman
** Joey Janela vs. TBD
Tom Lawlor vs. Fred Yehi
Jimmy Yuta, Jason Cade & Rhett Giddins vs. the Dirty Blondes & Mike Parrow
Simon Gotch Prize Fight Challenge
Barrington Hughes vs. TBD

* Jack Hager was previously known as Jack Swagger in WWE
** Joey Janela was scheduled to face Brian Cage, but he was pulled from the card a couple of days ago for an unknown reason

I'm personally looking forward to Lawlor/Yehi and Cobb/Hager.

Been a while since posting on here. 

I saw Jeff Cobb vs. Hager/Swagger back in Nov. when APW ran their second Cow Palace (San Francisco) show. Hager was so disappointing both times he was booked; terrible gear. Cobb has been my favorite to watch the past few years. Hopefully the MLW match will be different. 

Speaking of APW they have announced they are partnering with Pro Wrestling Revolution (mostly lucha) to put on King of Indies 2018. Longtime indie fans know Chris Daniels and Daniel Bryan (as American Dragon) won the first two tournaments back in 2000 and 2001; and those two tournaments heavily influenced ROH as they were launching. 

They're running the Friday night prior to the NJPW Cow Palace show in the same area. Announced for for the tournament are:

Dragon Lee

Timothy Thatcher

Jeff Cobb

Fatu

Rysuke Taguchi

Flip Gordon

Brody King

Titan

31776159_10156340109872334_2669970254964

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

Cobb/Hager was not that good.

The entire show was OK -- not great or particularly bad by any stretch.

I somewhat liked Lawlor vs. Yehi, but it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. Rich Swann stopped by unannounced and he wrestled Kotto Brazil who also works around various indys as Snoop Strikes.

Sawyer Fulton also was there last night and is in a faction with Sami Callihan.

Joey Janela's opponent was Sami Callihan. That was alright.

I won't be able to be at the next show as I will be on vacation and will be in Italy and Spain.  They haven't announced anything for it so far, but they were building towards an MJF/Joey Janela feud and the Callihan/MVP feud was continued last night.

APW is still around? I used to love them in the early Click Wrestle days. I dug the old garage shows where Super Dragon would have these long drawn out 45 minute matches in front of 25 fans with Jardi Frantz, Bobby Quance, Excalibur, TARO, Rising Son, etc.

11 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

On a different APW show at the end of the month MANSOOR (as seen on the WWE GRR) is returning to the bay area! 

31783603_1938092262870457_80423120454182

When did he leave? He works damn near every HOODSLAM show, and he works most every EBPW show as well. When I saw him at the GRR I was pretty jazzed that a local guy hit the jackpot, so to speak.

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

APW is still around? I used to love them in the early Click Wrestle days. I dug the old garage shows where Super Dragon would have these long drawn out 45 minute matches in front of 25 fans with Jardi Frantz, Bobby Quance, Excalibur, TARO, Rising Son, etc.

Yes. Since Roland Alexander passed, the promotion was "carried on" by pretty much a bunch of the regular wrestlers and some of the guys who used to help Roland run the promotion side of APW. (I'm irregular on the board, so I'm unsure if the promotor's actual name has been used. Its not a real secret, but just privacy stuffs). He's done a fantastic job of carrying on the torch of running an indie wrestling company. He's been able to partner with some high schools and a couple community centers that have drawn great sized crowds. I too have fond memories of those Gym Warz shows with 50 fans in the tiny Garage, but I love going to the current shows and watching with the large crowds. 

They've run the Cow Palace twice now, it was scaled down but still drew well. I don't think New Japan would be running there in July if either of the APW shows had bombed. 

Guest Edwin
4 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Did Cobb look small next to Hager?

The size difference wasn't really that noticeable.

Thought mlw was alright last night. Really enjoyed MVP/MJF, Snoop/Swann, Fenix/ACH, Lawlor/yehi and the main. Swagger vs Cobb was disappointing. The show had was too much Sami for my liking and bringing in that charisma void Sawyer Fulton makes me dislike him more. The show was really hurt by the lack of the wwn guys. I guess the rumors are true.

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Tim Evans said:

The show was really hurt by the lack of the wwn guys. I guess the rumors are true.

What rumors? Don't tell me WWN is signing guys exclusively now...

Darby was at the last show in the crowd, but didn't make any appearance on the show because he was still out injured.

The rumor is that Gabe is pulling a DJ hyde and making guys choose between MLW and WWN. Not sure if it's true but seems like it with them dropping the Pricilla/Santana thing and no Stokley last night. 

1 hour ago, Tim Evans said:

The rumor is that Gabe is pulling a DJ hyde and making guys choose between MLW and WWN. Not sure if it's true but seems like it with them dropping the Pricilla/Santana thing and no Stokley last night. 

I hate when this happens in indy wrestling. Indy promotions working together = better for the fans

• Like 2