DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

On WALTER: As a Lesnar-esque featured monster in the likes of PROGRESS and EVOLVE, he's a top 5-10 guy in the world I would pay money to the see. Looks, moves, and acts like a legitimate ass-kicker and a force of nature in the ring. S/O to @iowanole for the Hansen/MVC-era gaijin hoss archetype - really hits the nail on the head.

Unrelated: The winds of change are all but confirmed by the latest WWN mailer:

April 24th: Matt Riddle vs. Keith Lee for the EVOLVE Championship has been signed for EVOLVE 105 in the Detroit area. This will be The Final War. It is the last time Riddle vs. Lee will be booked by WWN. We'll have much more on why this match is taking place, and why it will be the final contest between these two warriors, in the upcoming weeks.

• Like 2

To me, the comparison point to WALTER is prime Mark Henry. What has impressed me so much in him is his selling, which isn't at all traditional. There's a real consequence to everything that happens in the ring around him, both what he does and what's done to him, but he's exceptionally careful at giving appropriately, or through expressing that consequence in more subtle ways. Ultimately that makes everything come off as more meaningful and impactful, especially in an indy world where most people do so much that nothing ends up mattering at all.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EricR said:

No doubt as shocked as I was a few years ago when I got a package from Relapse that had an Ultramantis Black album in it. 

And Mr. Zero is in Pissed Jeans. CHIKARA is all about that hardcore / powerviolence.

• Like 3

WALTER is excellent and is quite something to see live. His WXW stuff with Dragunov is great. What is unique about WALTER is he's  hossy but his aura isn't based on squashes and no-selling. He can go fifty/fifty with a smaller guy but doesn't come across as weak. His drops are legit, too. 

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Low Ki always reminded me of the Damon Wayans sketch where he was an inmate that misused words. He likes to hear what is coming out of his mouth, but I'm not sure that he's bright enough to understand exactly what he is saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Lol @ "20 years of successful first-hand professional business experience".

Which made this ...

48 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

... I'm not sure that he's bright enough to understand exactly what he is saying.

... all the more poignant.

Client: "So I feel like my employer is just not valuing me as much as they should, what advice do you have?"

Low-Ki: "Then stop working there"

Client: "Should I find another job before giving my notice?"

Low-Ki: "I don't understand what you're saying? Just don't go back there."

Client: "But I have to finish some projects fi-"

Low-Ki: "No you do not. That is not the warriors way do not let them tell you what you do."

Client: "What's the refund policy"

*Call ended* 

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

Low Ki always reminded me of the Damon Wayans sketch where he was an inmate that misused words. He likes to hear what is coming out of his mouth, but I'm not sure that he's bright enough to understand exactly what he is saying.

LOOOL

"Allow me to exfoliate my colon..."

I also like him mentioning his incredible mentors over the years.  Like LayCool.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

And Mr. Zero is in Pissed Jeans. CHIKARA is all about that hardcore / powerviolence.

I did not know this until this post. Last year I started getting adult diaper ads in my margins. Every single day, every single site, men's adult diapers, women's adult diapers, almost exclusively ads for adult diapers. Especially a new kind called "Silhouettes", because they fit so comfortably under your clothing! Over a month of my margins being filled with adult diaper ads. And then one day my Pissed Jeans record - the one I pre-ordered over a month earlier - arrived in the mail, and I realized that google had taken my searches for Pissed Jeans to mean that I had a problem regular pissing my pants. As if I had googled "Dear google, how can I prevent constantly soaking my dungarees in piss?" 

And can we just cut to you telling me how many members of Protomartyr have been Ants? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

On 4/24/2018 at 7:11 AM, EricR said:

No doubt as shocked as I was a few years ago when I got a package from Relapse that had an Ultramantis Black album in it. 

I really loved that Ultramantis Black EP. Really hope there is some sort of follow up to it, it was just good solid fun. In fact I think Mr Zero was one of the guys who played on that record with UMB.

Man if you are in the DC/VA/MD area in early June, the 2018 Men's NOVA Pro Commonwealth Cup is going to be can't miss.  Already announced so far for 2 night show:

1. “The Last of a Dying Breed” Eddie Kingston - 1st Commonwealth Cup
  2. “The Proficient” Sage Philips - 1st Commonwealth Cup
  3. “The Prince of Pro” Alexander James - 1st Commonwealth Cup
  4. 2017 Commonwealth Cup Champion Logan Easton LaRoux - 2nd Commonwealth Cup
  5. “The Corporate Captain” Gunner Miller - 1st Commonwealth Cup
  6. 2017 Commonwealth Cup Runner-Up Arik Royal - 2nd Commonwelath Cup
  7. “Safety First” Tim Donst - 2nd Commonwealth Cup
  8. “The Zombie Princess” Jimmy Jacobs - 1st Commonwealth Cup
  9. “Hot Sauce” Tracy Williams - 2nd Commonwealth Cup
  10. Nick Gage - 1st Commonwealth Cup
  11. Wheeler YUTA - 1st Commonwealth Cup
  12. Fred Yehi - 1st Commonwealth Cup

And just announced, PCO.   Man imagine seeing PCO vs Nick Gage, PCO vs Gunner Miller, or PCO vs Eddie Kingston in a first round match  

They also have a women's version that has the following

1. Chelsea Green
  2. Jordynne Grace
  3. Faye Jackson
  4. Mia Yim
  5. Veda Scott
  6. Rachael Ellering

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Man if you are in the DC/VA/MD area in early June, the 2018 Men's NOVA Pro Commonwealth Cup is going to be can't miss.  Already announced so far for 2 night show

Yeah - I am trying to figure out how to afford both shows and then get out of the house for both shows

BTW - I know it came up somewhere (here, the Japan thread, I don't remember) but for the folks asking about Zack Sabre Jr still working indie dates.

Meltzer had in the newest WON that ZBJ moved back to the UK so he is going to take less US dates