DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

We wrote up more of WM Weekend, Evolve 103 and the WWN Supershow. Evolve 103 had my favorite Jaka performance, and I really like Jaka. The Supershow had those two bonkers good matches, with Riddle/Ospreay and Sabre/Sawa being so much better than I expected. This weekend is just the gift that keeps on giving. I would have been so burned out if I had been there live. 

Evolve 103: http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/04/wrestlemania-weekend-cherry-picking_13.html

Supershow: http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/04/wrestlemania-weekend-cherry-picking_16.html

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whatever happened to Meiko's match with Pete Dunne, that happen yet?

It was on 4/1 for Fight Club Pro. I have no idea what the outcome was or if it was any good, but how could it have been bad, right?

Progress had the second night of their Australia/NZ tour in Melbourne last night. Great show and the 6 Progress reps brought their best. 

Pete Dunne embracing his inner Regal and/or Finlay and just torturing Mike Burr by tying him up in knots before having Burr fire back with throwing strikes like his life depended on it was good pro wrestling.

Main event was the best Travis Banks match i've seen on a Progress show in a bit. When it was the 3 way with JXT as the third man it was pretty good, but once JXT was eliminated and it came down to Banks against Elliot Sexton the match went from quite good to fucking great in a hurry, Sexton is a guy that I think would be a fave of this board. Big guy (6'4-6'5) and built like a brick shithouse who hits hard, talks shit and is just nasty in what he does, he's kind of like a more flamboyant, Australian version of WALTER in a way.

Just went to Smart Mark Video's website for the first time in a number of years.  WTH?  I guess they're not working with Chikara anymore?  I was looking to pick up a few Chikara discs since I have seen practically nothing of them since there short shut-down several years ago, but the latest show Smart Mark had was from 2015.  Looks like 2016 and 2017 shows can be bought from Chikara's website, so I assume SMV no longer carries their shows?  Any story behind that?  Chikara was/is typically a best-seller for Smart Mark, so I'll be surprised if he just decided to end the arrangement.

Smart Mark's selection in general looked a little underwhelming to me.  Seemed like he was six months behind or more on all but a few promotions - mostly ones I don't intend to follow (IWA-MS and CZW),  I bought a few wXW shows but he's way behind on their catalog too.  I looked at wXw's website and they don't seem to be selling DVDs on the website anymore.  I was redirected to a European third-party site, so maybe that has something to do with that.

Is there a good site for indy DVDs besides SMV and Highspots?  Or is it mostly streaming these days?  I still deal with Highspots, but mostly only for PWG and an occasional NEW show.

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Just went to Smart Mark Video's website for the first time in a number of years.  WTH?  I guess they're not working with Chikara anymore?  I was looking to pick up a few Chikara discs since I have seen practically nothing of them since there short shut-down several years ago, but the latest show Smart Mark had was from 2015.  Looks like 2016 and 2017 shows can be bought from Chikara's website, so I assume SMV no longer carries their shows?  Any story behind that?  Chikara was/is typically a best-seller for Smart Mark, so I'll be surprised if he just decided to end the arrangement.

Smart Mark's selection in general looked a little underwhelming to me.  Seemed like he was six months behind or more on all but a few promotions - mostly ones I don't intend to follow (IWA-MS and CZW),  I bought a few wXW shows but he's way behind on their catalog too.  I looked at wXw's website and they don't seem to be selling DVDs on the website anymore.  I was redirected to a European third-party site, so maybe that has something to do with that.

Is there a good site for indy DVDs besides SMV and Highspots?  Or is it mostly streaming these days?  I still deal with Highspots, but mostly only for PWG and an occasional NEW show.

Chikara began doing it all in house in 2016 and also have their own streaming network. A bunch of Indy's now have they own streaming service or are tied to a website that does it. AAW and CZW have DVDs or Blu rays on both highspots/SMV. 

Ouch, that probably cuts into his business quite a bit.  I got to know Mike Burns a little when I was a regular customer.  Chikara was probably his bread and butter back then, and I still saw old (2012-ish) Chikara shows listed on the SMV website as best sellers.  I know a lot of promotions have streaming sevices - and i subscribe to several such services - but I still prefer DVDs.

What's the opinion on Chikara these days?  There's no talk of it on this board anymore, and I've watched practically nothing since their shutdown and reboot.  I was a huge Chikara fan from the early days up to about the BDK storyline but I started drifting during BDK (2 years was just too long, though i went back a year or two back and enjoyed the shows from that period more than I did first time aroud) and gave up altogether around the time of the shutdown.  Wouldn't mind getting back into it some.

I still prefer DVDs or Blu Rays myself as well. Before the shut down I was getting every show and in fact went to the 2 Florida shows in 2013. 

Last Chikara shows I saw were King of Trios 2016 and the shipping was nasty. It was like $7 or $8 per show even if you bought them both at the same time. 

I know you will see some 2017 reviews pop up on 411mania here or there. 

If you subscribe to the Chikara youtube channel, you get various promos and some matches on the Podcast-A-Gogo, as well as the occasional fitness video now. I'll be honest, I don't watch it every time it pops up, simply because after the shutdown I lost the plot threads and it's predominately new wrestlers/characters to me. If you have an issue with men and women competing with each other I'd be cautious, as they have a LOT of that now.

While streaming services are a great thing for wrestling fans, we are starting to see the same thing that Napster/Pandora/Itunes did to CD sales.  If you can own the same product without the bulk of the case and the CD most people would do that.  One of the main reasons why Smartmark is working with Powerbomb TV.  

I would also assume that there will be a group of people who still buy the DVD and their old VHS tapes because "I want to feel the product" or they feel it has the original quality before it was mucked up by better technology.  I mean people still buy records so why should we assume that wrestling fans wouldn't want the masters in the box or case.

I don't follow indie wrestling anymore, but I keep seeing the name WALTER popping up, especially after he chopped the shit out of PCO over WM weekend. What's his deal? Standard indie wannabe strong style hoss or is he a monster? I'd consult the google but he doesn't exactly have an SEO friendly name

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I don't follow indie wrestling anymore, but I keep seeing the name WALTER popping up, especially after he chopped the shit out of PCO over WM weekend. What's his deal? Standard indie wannabe strong style hoss or is he a monster? I'd consult the google but he doesn't exactly have an SEO friendly name

He's got a different enough look that he comes off differently than your average 'indy hoss monster' and does a lot more than just play the part. He doesn't do the 'super indy' stuff that a lot of the hosses eventually try, and put together some nice matches in the states this year (PWG vs. Ricochet, PWG vs. Zack Sabre, JJSPII vs. PCO, PWG vs. Keith Lee). There's probably some better stuff outside of the USA or Evolve but I don't watch much of that.  

• Like 1

Apparently, he's the same person who worked as "Big Van Walter" some time ago.  I wrote him off back then, assuming he was one of those subpar German wrestling tribute acts like "Legend of Doom."  He's been okay in PWG so far; I liked his matches against Ricochet and Sabre but didn't see him as a guy you'd put the belt on this soon.  PWG (and bigger indies in general) is in a weird spot right now.  WWE is so much more in tune with who the talented indy guys are, so anyone who is any good and who is championship material gets signed right away.  That's how you get Chuck Taylor (and I love Chuck's work but even he was incredulous about being the champion) and WALTER as your top guys.

I like WALTER.  He is a hoss in the Terry Gordy/Stan Hansen sense in that he isn't some chiseled freak, just a big, mean sob.  I'm not putting him at their level by any means, so don't get me wrong.  He had a great match with Timothy Thatcher in Progress a few months back that I would recommend.  Doesn't try to be some athletic freak and plays the monster role pretty well, imo. 

• Like 1