DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

I'd be tempted to go to that if I wasn't partaking in NO festivities at that time.  It does have me wish that they'd find a way to shoehorn Suzuki into the ROH show, I would be thrilled to sing along to "Kazi ni Nare".

Honestly I don't think it even that close, and I like Suzuki. I would put Ki vs. Callihan from last year up against any match Suzuki has ever had and that would even make a top 20 list for Ki's career. Plus this was a first time match up, Riddle vs. Suzuki already happened in England and it has been sitting unwatched on my hard drive for months.

29 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Honestly I don't think it even that close, and I like Suzuki. I would put Ki vs. Callihan from last year up against any match Suzuki has ever had

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

I'm not sure their Rev Pro match would be worth the hard drive space for you, since Suzuki's more or less in house show mode in it. How often he does that is a viable enough criticism--mitigated by his age, to me--but when he really wants to go there's no one I'd rather watch. I'm hopeful that he'd only sign on for this match if he's motivated by the concept and opponent (and money), so we'll see.

Low Ki used to be a favorite of mine, but the incessant cosplay combined with his inability/refusal to integrate anywhere or cooperate with anyone has basically killed any investment I had. Is the Callihan match you're talking about the one that ended in Abyss interference? It was... not great.

The finish of the Callihan match was pretty bad, but the match itself was both super violent and really different in cool and interesting ways.  We did a long review of it here.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/04/2017-ongoing-moty-list-ki-v-callihan.html

Seems like most of the complaints about Ki come from the weird pro-management bias that lots of wrestling fans have. He left Impact because the booking was shitty, makes sense to me, I think it is pretty cool that he is kind of a vagabond, showing up a dozen times a year to put on bangers. I hope the neck injury isn't serious, because he had a great 2017 and I was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year.

• Like 2

Fair enough. Broadly speaking I think wrestling fandom does have a weird tendency towards siding with the company, or some abstract notion of "the business", over individuals. But I also think Low Ki's reputation has been earned over quite a few years, and spoken about by enough credible people that it can't be reduced to Impact being Impact. (Like, Chris Hero has been around, and he's only tweeted "What's the opposite of professional?" about one guy, that I know of.)

Ideally stuff like this wouldn't matter so much--art and artists, etc.--and we'd evaluate the ring work for what it is. But I think it has altered the work he can get over the years, and it makes it hard to weave consistent narrative threads. The Callihan match did have history, which helped, but in that regard I think it serves to highlight the problem.

It's a bit ironic, I suppose, that he's much more a lonely warrior than Suzuki, who has a stable and a chanting, singing crowd wherever he goes.

Guest Edwin

Considering Suzuki vs. Riddle this time around is at the Bloodsport event which they're trying to sell as a worked Ganryujima event, then I'd expect it to be much, much different from their Rev Pro match.

Guest Edwin

WWN already providing some quality this weekend... Website is down. Glad I cancelled my subscription and will just use Fite TV to get their events (which is more useful to me as they also stream RIZIN and the problems I've ever had with were minimal and always had a steady and reliable HQ stream).

When will I learn? I was so hyped to see the Suzuki replacement I ordered Bloodsport so I could watch it after work and... now I'll have to wait up to 24 hours according to their email I just received. Gabe is the worst when it comes to this shit.

• Sad 1

I watched Bloodsport.

Spoiler

I know a large part of the appeal was the novelty of seeing very pro wresting or deathmath guys in this context, but even still I found some of the matches never found a way to balance or highlight that contrast well. I could have done without a bad ref angle and stoppages being called knockouts as well. 

But, worth the $15, and the main event was terrific. Even if you didn’t see the post match, you’d have to assume Suzuki likes Riddle quite a bit. A shame about corporate nixing his New Japan opportunity.

I also like Lawlor/WALTER and Thatcher/Gage. Again, very pro wrestling, but very good pro wrestling.

• Like 1

Gabe's site is working for now. I immediately recognized the terrible audio mix of incredibly loud ring announcer and super quiet commentators from last year's set-up. Why do they make this stuff so hard?!

I wonder how close this will be to WXW's Ambition shows. I haven't mustered up the money to order one of the Tetsujin shows, so I don't know how close that style is to Ambition. 

Yeah, the undercard was ugly and if you had guys who could work the UWF style like Stone, Filthy, and Garrini together it would've been better. Lots of timid, slow and sloppy strikes. WALTER and Lawlor were the first to understand they just needed to lay into the strikes and it was a very fun pro wrestling match. Severn/Dickinson was the first to feel more like a UWF match but was kind of weird and sloppy, though still enjoyable. 

I think we all expected a clusterfuck aura and I'm not surprised to hear some of those matches played out that way. I'm over here refreshing the damn torrent sites because I'm broke as hell, but no shame in my game. Can't wait to see this shit, even if I have to do it in the sleaziest way possible.

Guest Edwin
11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

When will I learn? I was so hyped to see the Suzuki replacement I ordered Bloodsport so I could watch it after work and... now I'll have to wait up to 24 hours according to their email I just received. Gabe is the worst when it comes to this shit.

Fite TV, brother.

That's what I've been using to order the WWN PPV's (and RIZIN PPV's).

You don't get the Club WWN membership discount with Fite TV, but you get a reliable stream and you also get lifetime VOD.

If you look on Twitter - people are posting referral codes all over the place for Fite TV - where if you use one, you get a $15 credit and they get a $20 credit

Based on reading Twitter - the best matches from Day 1 are

Rey Fenix/Rey Horus vs. Flamita/Bandido

Jeff Cobb vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Suzuki/Riddle is a little more split but that seems to be more the nature of the show itself than the actual match (not everyone bought it because of the Bloodsport gimmick)

Suzuki/Riddle was very enjoyable but I have zero doubts they have a significantly better match in them.

Also, when Minoru Suzuki tells you to clap to the beat of his song, you do it. God damn savages. 

@Edwin I signed up for WWN Live thinking I'd get the discount on Spring Break and Bloodsport but that only applies to WWN shows proper. I also had Floslam and missed keeping up with evolve shows. It has not been a good choice and FITE is defo the way to go.