DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

It's James Ellsworth, though.  Riddle would look silly if he took him seriously.  And beating him does nothing for Riddle either way.  The only point of the match is, "Hey, isn't it kind of funny we booked Matt Riddle vs James Ellsworth?"

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Seriously.

"Underrated loser vs great wrestler who treats the whole thing like a joke" is a pretty standard story.

Agreed, and this story/background fits these two much better than any of the standard "two great competitors enter, which one will take it?" type stories.

Much more believable than Riddle sitting there and talking up what a great athlete Ellsworth is (which no fan, especially for this specific audience, would ever take seriously in the first place). And, in reality, I'd venture to guess, even without that ' underrated loser vs. great wrestler'  video being released, a vast majority of fans are thinking that same thing anyway. 

On 3/21/2018 at 6:11 AM, Marty Sugar said:

The very basics of wrestling promos is to not comment in the vein that your opponent is a loser, a waste of time, etc. Because the old adage is if you say your opponent is a loser and you beat him, who cares? He's a loser. But if you say your opponent is a worthless loser and he beats you, what does that make you? This is Wrestling 101.

Sure, but isn't Wrestling 201 "none of these adages are written in stone and you can do things differently from time to time"

There is nothing at all wrong with a storyline where one guy is an ass who takes his opponent too lightly. 

Also, the premise of the Spring Break show is that these are joke matches that aren't supposed to be treated seriously. I mean, last year Riddle cut a promo after beating Severn that pointed out that they "called it all in the ring." 

Marty is right in the overall point but the Janela show is basically a comedy show. 

18 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Also, the premise of the Spring Break show is that these are joke matches that aren't supposed to be treated seriously. I mean, last year Riddle cut a promo after beating Severn that pointed out that they "called it all in the ring." 

Marty just burst a blood vessel :lol:

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

I know @Tim Evans loved their first match, so they're giving him another dose...

Also Terri Leigh from beIN SPORTS tweeted this photo with Santana Garrett:

There's also a photo of Tony Schiavone and Rich Bocchini at the beIN studio. 

And Court Bauer has been tweeting about meetings in South Beach and the beIN SPORTS offices are in Miami, so if anything, that's an indication that's the channel they will be airing the TV show. If you watch football, namely LaLiga, Serie A and Ligue 1, then you're familiar with the channel.

I think it would be awesome if that was indeed the channel they got airtime on and you can watch beIN for free on go90.

I just hope they don't relocate down there and stay in the Orlando area.

Anyway, other stuff:

That should be bonkers!

Guest Edwin

FITE has a package for the all of the New Orleans WWN events for $89.99.

FITE includes live streams and VOD in those prices.

I see Jacob Fatu a fair amount, he works basically every Northern CA promotion. That dude is something else, I enjoy his shit quite a bit. I get the feeling that he is going to be a GIGANTIC star one day.

Edited by grilledcheese
spelling
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, hammerva said:

In set up for Janela show,  WALTER cuts a promo calling him a old man.  This is PCO's response :

Now I am not sure if snapping a 52 card deck is as impressive and ripping a phone book but god damn :o

It is since Pierre only has one good eye.

This PWG thing is weird: they claim a malfunction caused them to oversell their event, so they have no choice but to move to a new venue...a happy accident, but an accident nonetheless. Then they debut new logos and banners and a titantron and their fans are incensed on Twitter that the venue change was planned all along and how dare PWG expand to a bigger venue? WUT?

Interesting side-note: I didn't realize until I got mad at Riddle's promo on Ellsworth that I had people on ignore. Then I momentarily un-ignored them and read what they had to say and saw why. :lol:

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

And per this week's WON - Gibson has indeed signed a WWE deal 

I believe it's one of those UK deals. Bear in mind, quite a lot of the previous 1 year deals were not renewed so we may well see a few more. Joe Coffey is heavily rumoured. Speculation, but I would kind of expect Eddie Dennis to get a deal (he was at the November tryout).