DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Guest Edwin

Just got back home from the MLW show...

Seth Petruzelli vs. Kotto Brazil -- Was short. Seth came out with Team Filthy and Tom Lawlor was there with him. Lawlor called BS on ACH getting his spot in the title tournament against Matt Riddle instead of Seth. I also noticed Kotto Brazil is Snoop Strikes from EVOLVE and FIP. I didn't even realize he was the guy who got squashed 2 shows ago by Rhett Giddins and he also got squashed and unmasked by Low Ki at the last show. Seth needs to work on his promo skills. Anyway, Seth won with a spin kick. Post match Team Filthy beatdown and Riddle makes the save.

Matt Riddle vs. ACH -- I haven't seen their EVOLVE match, but either this or Joey Janela vs. Darby Allin are my picks for MOTN. Not sure how it will come across on video, but this was fantastic live. Riddle tried using his power advantage over ACH while ACH tried using his speed advantage and fireball offense. Very different match from what you usually see from Riddle. Well worth watching. Col. Rob Parker even told Riddle he was blown away by his performance as he was walking to the back. Riddle won with the Twister.

The Dirty Blondes (Michael Patrick and Leo Brien) with Col. Rob Parker vs. Team TBD (Jason Cade and Jimmy Yuta) -- Was also pretty short and wasn't really much to write home about. The highlight was Col. Rob Parker rebuilding the Stud Stable with the Dirty Blondes as his first two members and he also tried recruiting Mike Parrow. The Dirtby Blondes won after Col. Rob Parker interfered.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman vs. Lance Anoa'i -- Really fun. MJF is great from what I've seen of him as a cocky heel. I also thought Lance looked great a fiery Samoan face. MJF pulled the "Can you smell what MJF is cookin'?" and the People's elbow... MJW won with a roll up and a handful of tights.

Garza, Jr. vs. Último Ninja -- Was very different from the two previous lucha showcase matches (Penta El Zero M vs. Rey Fénix and Destino Negro vs. Mega Danger). This was worked at a slower paced and didn't see the same insane of crazy spots from the previous two matches. The fans loved Garza, Jr. and he looked really great as a rudo and I thought Último looked pretty good on the opposite side. Garza won after Selina de la Renta unmasked Último and Garza was able to pull off the roll up.

Barrington Hughes vs. Vandal Ortagun -- Same as the other Barrington Hughes matches. Less than a minute squash with a powerslam.

Brody King vs. Sami Callihan -- Very underwhelming. I was expecting both guys to go hard on each other, but I felt they held back. Brody won after Jimmy Havoc, Priscilla Kelly and Darby Allin came out and distracted the ref. and Jimmy hit Sami with a skateboard.

Saieve Al Sabah vs. Markos Espada -- Short and just a match to get Al Sabah over. Al Sabah won with a modified bow-and-arrow.

Low Ki vs. MVP -- Very odd... They did another kung fu sword fight scene with sticks and kendo sticks and that maybe one of the most embarrassing things I've seen in a while. Some Samoan guy ran out and attacked MVP and Stokely Hathaway stole MVP's chains...

Shane Strickland vs. Jimmy Havoc -- Was exactly what you'd expect out of these two without a hardcore stipulation. To their credit though, they are way over. Strickland won with a double stomp. Strickland vs. Riddle will be the final for the MLW world title next month.

Joey Janela vs. Darby Allin -- One of the craziest matches I've ever seen live. There was an inflatable shark wrapped in barbed wire, a vintage Hulk Hogan figure, a football helmet, a belt, a suitcase, a toy truck, thumbtacks, a lightsaber, etc. Some of the highlights include Darby getting thrown into a thumbtack plate, Janela getting suplexed into the inflatable shark, Darby doing a tope con hilo with his hands tapped behind his back and Janela tossing Darby off the balcony into the chairs in the ring. Not sure how this will come across on video either, but if you dug the Callihan match from last month, then you'll dig this one as it's even crazier. Janela bleed buckets. Janela won with a top rope elbow drop.

Misc stuff -- Apparently Bruce Pritchard was backstage helping with interviews and the taping. It was also announced that this was their first TV taping, however they did not announce where it would be airing. I didn't spot Tony Schiavone near the commentary table and I wasn't even sure there was one there, so they may have tapped the commentary elsewhere.

Anyway, if you watch something from this, watch Riddle vs. ACH and Janela vs. Allin.

Darby vs janela was insane. I saw them at the sci last year but they upped the anti with this. Janela hit a gusher and too some crazy bumps. Darby outdid himself with that bump from the balcony. I was right under where he did it and it was crazy to see. Really boring show besides that and Riddle vs ach. Also the crowd wasn't as big as usual. Please no more Sami callihan. He is the worst.

• Like 1

Rich Swann first said that he was going to finish all his current commitments and then retire

He now has pulled out of all his dates - including ones he is advertised for.

WON described it as he is “despondent” over the reaction to him being booked on shows

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Rich Swann first said that he was going to finish all his current commitments and then retire

He now has pulled out of all his dates - including ones he is advertised for.

WON described it as he is “despondent” over the reaction to him being booked on shows

I'm sure Rude Boy Riley can pick up some of those dates. [barf]

If you can make to the Virginia area then NOVA Pro is having two shows today in Annandale.  First show is their 2nd tryout show.   The only names that I know of is Aspyn Rose and the tag team of Mason Dixon Line but lots of guys at the show.  The night show is an all female show with the main event of Angelus Layne vs Rain who made a comeback some months ago

Guest Edwin
On 3/9/2018 at 6:43 AM, Tim Evans said:

Really boring show besides that and Riddle vs ach. Also the crowd wasn't as big as usual. Please no more Sami callihan. He is the worst.

I usually go with my wife and we have a ton of fun even though a lot of the matches aren't that great. She was totally freaking out during Darby vs. Janela specially when she saw Janela's bleeding buckets.

This Black Label Pro show streaming live on Powerbomb.tv has been forgettable. The commentary is some of the worse I've ever listened to.

Edit: That main event was a disaster. It was originally Tom Lawlor vs. Nick Gage for the Black Label Pro title, but Lawlor broke his arm and had to pull out. They changed the match and Gage's opponent to Teddy Hart for the GCW title, but Mance Warner walked out before match and said he wanted a shot at the GCW title and it turned into a triple threat match. The match was the disaster you would expect it to be.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Tweets from the BLP booker suggest Hart refused to job and that's why Mance was added last minute. Apparently we'll never see Teddy in BLP again.

You'd think they'd book someone with a better reputation and avoid these headaches.  

Low-ki was probably free.

Pete Dunne hasn't been the linear champ for a long time

He lost it to Travis Banks at Progress 55

God I can't believe I figured this out. Assuming Dunne was the linear champ (since I didn't look back at Tyler Bate)

It goes Dunne -> Banks -> Masaaki Mochizuki -> Ben-K -> Mochizuki

EDIT - I did check and it was Bate -> Dunne so yes the Linear UK Champ is Masaaki Mochizuki

• Like 1

Just now, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Damn it, I'm co-mingling wacky matchups mentioned in this thread, and now I'm wondering when someone's gonna book Meiko Satomura vs. Nick Gage.

Both of them will be in NOLA for Mania weekend, and Beyond is doing an all-intergender show, so it's not completely impossible...

I've been hoping for Satomura vs. Ace Romero, with Romero wearing Aja Kong facepaint.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Has anyone ever signed up for the JAPW VOD service? They barely ever update it, but it seems like it's worth signing up a month or 2 just to watch the Nuyorican crew beating up Teddy Hart and his crew.

Guest Edwin

I signed up to the JAPW VOD service and watched some stuff and Da Hit Squad (plus Kyle the Beast) vs. Homicide and Low (plus Joker) from the 20th Anniversary Show and Low Ki vs. Minoru Fujita from a 2001 show called Here to Stay have already made it worth the $10 I paid for it.

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

They had some pretty neat sounding cards in the early indie boom years. I just had a hard time getting into them because of the stupid initials.

The greatest match they ever did was Jerry Lawler vs Kamala (yes, the real Kamala) in January of 2004. Tony Lewis repeatedly yelling "You're a man Kamala" still cracks the shit out of me.

Guest Edwin

I can comfortably say the Homicide vs. Teddy Hart feud is one of my favorite feuds of all-time.

There's a trios match from Wild Card between Homicide, Ki and B-Boy vs. Teddy, Steen and Generico. Teddy leaves the match early as he's suffered an arm injury pre-match and Homicide rams him shoulder first into the corner.

Steen talks about this in a shoot interview. He says he was talking with Homicide before the match and Teddy had already told them he couldn't wrestle due to the arm injury, yet Steen and Homicide spot him doing pull ups on a hoop at the arena just fine. Classic Teddy.