DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

1 hour ago, Casey said:

this Zack Gibson person is a pretty good promo...

I find that Zack is one of the more underrated of the British guys. Solid promo, pretty good in the ring, deserves some more attention than he gets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

I find that Zack is one of the more underrated of the British guys. Solid promo, pretty good in the ring, deserves some more attention than he gets.

Give me an examples of his good in-ring work? YouTube links would be nice.  He’s piqued my interest.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Give me an examples of his good in-ring work? YouTube links would be nice.  He’s piqued my interest.

Most of the Gibson matches I have seen were for ICW and NGW, which I can't find easily on youtube. But his matches for Defiant Wrestling are on youtube, for free viewing. Here's a video where he cuts a promo on the smarks in the crowd, and then takes on Gabriel Kidd. Full matches are in the other videos column on the right hand side.

15 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm really happy to see him going to WWE, he's going to be fantastic there (barring stupid booking)  I'm just glad I was able to bask in his glory recently at Evolve, even if it was in a so-so hardcore match (not his fault)

I want Lee vs Rusev. Or them as a tag team.

• Like 1

Lee/Ishii may have been the best Ishii match I've ever seen and that's saying a lot. Ishii working from under is awesome and Lee is the biggest tree to try and chop down. The crowd was annoying but the announcers covered it up for the most part. Those chops to the throat... ugh. Watch that match. 

Super happy that Keith is going to WWE, he's gonna be a way bigger star than he already is. 

CHIKARA announced that one of the teams at the King of Trios will be a Nexus Alliance team of Darren Young, Justin Gabriel and Michael Tarver (under whatever fucking indie names they are using now)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

CHIKARA announced that one of the teams at the King of Trios will be a Nexus Alliance team of Darren Young, Justin Gabriel and Michael Tarver (under whatever fucking indie names they are using now)

When is King of Trios (I haven't watched Chikara since they shut down - um, shut down the first time)?

If they wait till September, they may be able to get a big name.

KInda crazy that Heath Slater is the only active wrestler from Nexus still on the WWE roster.

That's why I tend to have mixed emotions. It's great that they get to earn good money (though likely a smaller share then they should earn) and for many WWE is the be all end all. However, I will very likely not be able to enjoy their work and they're just another cog in the machine. 

Now for the Weekly Walter Weltfest~! We decided to go all in on this and were not left disappointed. Ringkampf's run in the 2017 WXW World Tag League was our selection and holy hell were all four matches really fun and very different. The Briscoes was probably the closest to a traditional tag match but there was a lot of back and forth action in the final third of the match, as to be expected. Very fun though I think they didn't quite reach maximum potential. The Low Ki/Homicide match was precisely what you would think a Homicide match ought to be: wild brawl around ringside for the first half and a sweet spotfest in the second. The last group stage match against EYFBO was probably the weakest of the bunch but it was nice to see not every indie match has to go either 50/50 or 60/40 with the loser taking the lion's share. Ringkampf brutalized both members of EYFBO and while the underdogs got their hope spots with their indieriffic movez in the comeback segment, the outcome was hardly in doubt so I really dig the direction this went. The final between Monster Product (Jurn Simmons and the awesome David Starr) was a MOTYC for me. Perfect tag team wrestling, highlighting everybody's strengths. What really elevated the match to greatness was the combination of playing up David Starr's long-running and seemingly futile feud with WALTER and the subplot of Thatcher trying to not just be "WALTER's partner" and carry the team himself. The emotions throughout from all four men, particularly Ringkampf and Starr were elite level stuff and Thatcher proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he's one of the greats going today with his performance. He looked so pleased to be able to prove to WALTER, the fans, and himself that he belonged in wXw and was his own man. That's great wrestling storytelling. David Starr also sold the outcome so perfectly. Go out of your way to watch this match. Few companies deliver high end matches better than wXw with a really nice combination of layered match psychology, strong character work, diverse talent, and, in my opinion anyway, usually finding the sweet spot of avoiding overkill while still maintaining meaningful, exciting spots.

Edited by Oyaji
WWW report!
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 11:10 PM, Dewar said:

Underrated on a global scale? Yeah. He has a lot of love (...or hate) in the UK scene and is considered one of the best heels by a lot of people.

I always felt he got a lot of reflected heat from playing up being from Liverpool, but the more I watch him, he is a damn sight better than that.

9 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

When is King of Trios (I haven't watched Chikara since they shut down - um, shut down the first time)?

If they wait till September, they may be able to get a big name.

KInda crazy that Heath Slater is the only active wrestler from Nexus still on the WWE roster.

Usually Labor Day weekend, same as BOLA. 

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

PJ Black and... Uh... Whatever names Young and Tarver use.

Monster tarver. I hope he does his sermons talking about his hands and God like he used to do at the fip shows a few years ago in chikara.