DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

So does this mean Lawlor has gotten clearance to wrestle?

Because there is a whole thing that technically he can't work New Orleans because of his MMA suspension

As per usual - the world's most confusion paragraph from the WON

So the only person directly affected was Tom Lawlor, who said he was told he wouldn’t be allowed to work any shows that week. But even that is in question. Lawlor’s manager told him Louisiana would not allow him to work because of his suspension. However, Lawlor was also suspended by USADA and both his and Lesnar’s suspensions are still ongoing. In theory, commissions are given the USADA suspensions and while they are supposed to be on the database, they are not required to uphold them unless they are commission suspensions. Lawlor said reporter Marc Raimondi talked with the Louisiana commission, and they said differently, and that he would be able to wrestle in Louisiana if he passed medicals, and Buddy Embanato, the commission director said “He will be able to wrestle in Louisiana.” However, he since got bookings that weekend elsewhere so won’t be on the WrestleMania shows. Lawlor did wrestle recently in Washington, which is also a commission state

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

apparently there is a meeting in March about whether the Canadian destroyer move is allowed in New Orleans.  :lol:

Seriously how the hell did we get all those indie show the last time they had Wrestlemania 

What I keep hearing is in the years since the last WM in NOLA the LA Commission has gotten much stricter. Now they supposedly aren't allowing blood on any wrestling show. Where as just a few years ago Wildkat Sports had a match which ended with blood all over the ring and floor of the Mel Ott Center.

As a foreigner looking in, Athletic Commission regulation of pro wrestling is about the dumbest thing I ever done heard. I understand that it's partly a legacy of the kayfabe days and partly just state governments wanting a cut of the gate revenue, fine. But banning piledrivers, really? Needing to discuss whether or not the Canadian Destroyer is actually a banned move? It just seems silly.

February 23rd: EVOLVE and Fred Yehi have reached an impasse in contract negotiations and will amicably part ways immediately. We thank Fred for all his contributions. The door is open on both sides for a return in the future.

I wanted Starr to be in ROH for a while now. The philly crowd were not happy when Josh Woods pinned Starr on TV last spring. I'd bring in Starr to feud with Woods. Yehi be cool too. There's a few under the radar indie talent I would have already signed if a was ROH.

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

February 23rd: EVOLVE and Fred Yehi have reached an impasse in contract negotiations and will amicably part ways immediately. We thank Fred for all his contributions. The door is open on both sides for a return in the future.

Whoa, that's awfully sudden.  I wonder if that's why he hasn't been featured as much on their shows.  And if that's the case then if I can say I saw his last match in Evolve which is kind of weird.  I wouldn't mind him in ROH, would be interesting to see how he'd fare there.

• Like 1

Watched EVOLVE 100 earlier today. Aside from Riddle vs. Drake, everything else was pretty forgettable. Riddle vs. Drake was a very good big man indytastic match though. I thought Drake looked really good, but sometimes I felt he did a little too much. Also the endless head drop sequence was pretty lame. Riddle unfortunately has a spot he's been hitting in every match where he gets dropped on his head with a German suplex and he just pops up with his "fighting spirit" and goes after his opponent with a flying knee usually. Hot Sauce vs. Henry and ZSJ vs. Theory I didn't dig that much, but I can see others digging them as they're exactly what you'd come to expect from these pairings.

Unfortunately Yehi vs. Garrini was short and underwhelming and the Catch Point vs. the End tag title match wasn't really much.

Finished up Chapter 63 today.  My god, the crimes committed by WALTER against Mark Davis' chest.  If the Ring General showed up in New Japan and killed Okada in eight minutes I wouldn't bat an eye.

Bate vs ZSJ and Dunne/Seven vs Riddle/David Starr are also insanely hot.  Definitely recommend.

• Like 1

So Defy is running a show on April 13th is Seattle, MVP was on the show but he had a double booking and can't do it but he'll be at the 6/9 show. MVP's replacement is Tommy Dreamer, a favorite of mine and I'm not even going to be in the state. Dude talk about a bummer. 

That WALTER/Davis match was on the docket for this week's Wednesday rasslin viewing. We both thoroughly enjoyed WALTER squashing Davis. We are going to run with the concept of watching at least one WALTER match a week, a weekly weltfest ifyouwill. We started talking about WALTER dream matches and I gotta say that Ishii is high on the list. There are so many Just Guys in New Japan. Could you imagine replacing three or four of them with WALTER, Lee, Riddle, or Thatcher? The undercard would be so much more enjoyable.

El Phantasmo had an opening match with Tyler Bate at the latest Rev Pro show. It was all about warming up the crowd with comedy and a little bit of standard Euro mat wrestling. I didn't care for it. The more I see of Bate, generally the less impressed I am. He rarely gets out of second gear and goes through the motions. A lot of the quibbles people have with Marty Scurll I feel also apply to Bate, particularly being too cutesy. I was also disappointed with Mike Bailey vs. Kyle Fletcher, as I was hoping Speedball would more or less kick the shit out of Fletcher's bird chest but it was just a standard indie match and stunk. I gave up 2/3rds of the way through. Fuck Kyle Fletcher.

We also watched Callihan vs. Allin from MLW and, again, were very disappointed. Sami as a babyface sucks. I like Death Machine, no-nonsense Callihan over "BANANA!" Callihan. There were some incredible bumps because it's a Darby Allin match but overall I thought this was a mess that largely lacked direction or almost any sense. PIledriver through a table -> immediate pin -> 2 count. Crowd barely gave any fucks. Even I have my limits.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That WALTER/Davis match was on the docket for this week's Wednesday rasslin viewing. We both thoroughly enjoyed WALTER squashing Davis. We are going to run with the concept of watching at least one WALTER match a week, a weekly weltfest ifyouwill. We started talking about WALTER dream matches and I gotta say that Ishii is high on the list. There are so many Just Guys in New Japan.

Ishii is way the hell up there. I don't know if the older guys would wanna take the beating, but Suzuki and even a surly-ass-G1-mode Nagata would be great too.

Marufuji bringing his junior death chops and then bumping like a psycho would be great too. Add Ibushi for that reason, too. And Nakajima.

Going all in on dream matches: from WWE (among those I don't think have had a real bout with), sign me up for Cesaro, Joe, Sheamus, Harper, Nakamura, and Ciampa. Styles too on general principle, and I'd say Reigns... but he's gotta ditch the chest protector.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Fucking boner collector. He was going to work DBS Jr. next Friday at Cloverdale too.

Maybe they'll actually book a local guy to work Harry now, instead of spending all that money to put two out-of-town names against each other like fucking money marks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

We also watched Callihan vs. Allin from MLW and, again, were very disappointed. Sami as a babyface sucks. I like Death Machine, no-nonsense Callihan over "BANANA!" Callihan. There were some incredible bumps because it's a Darby Allin match but overall I thought this was a mess that largely lacked direction or almost any sense. PIledriver through a table -> immediate pin -> 2 count. Crowd barely gave any fucks. Even I have my limits.

The crowd was really hot for the entire match, the audio editing is very poor and makes it seem like they're sitting on their hands.

Went to a local indie show here in the Orlando area called New Generation Championship wrestling. It's a promotion built around Puerto Rican wrestling with some local Florida talent and old WWE wrestlers. Matches included Billy Gunn vs Snitsky in 2018 that was horrible. Snitsky looks like Braun's dad now with skinny legs. Billy looks the same but this was slow and the crowd shits on it.  Another match was the WAR team of Eli Drake, Chris Adonis and Mike Knox vs Chicano, Apollo and some Samoan guy. This was alright but the crowd didn't really know the heels and Knox looked hurt so he didn't do much. Best match of the night was MechaWolf vs Laredo Kid vs Zumbi. Mecha was over huge since he's from the area and this had some awesome lucha moves which was fine cause the other matches didn't. There was also an invasion angle with a bunch of old Puerto Rican guys like Chicky starr, Glamour Boy Shane, Ricky Santana, Fidel Sierra and others beating up the babyfaces in the promotion. It's weird to do this for a promotion's second show but I enjoyed it. Always great to see Shane who is still in amazing shape and could have a run for the NXT title. Main Event was Carlito vs Alberto El Patron. A typical match between the two but very heated. The crowd hated Alberto. He won of course when Savio Vega turned heel and almost caused a riot making fun of Puerto Ricans. Fun show that drew about 500 and is different from anything else in the area and it's nice to go to a show that doesn't involve Chaysen Rance and his group of idiots. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Broke his arm closelining Dominic Garrini

Man, AIW has a weird bad luck streak going. Teddy Hart, Super Crazy, Flip Kendrick, Jimmy Jacobs all had significant injuries. Jody Fleisch had to cancel his match the following night after his appearance in AIW after a leg injury. 

Last night, Lawlor suffered the arm injury while locals Magnum CK broke his nose and Brian Carson also had to go to the hospital. 

11 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

Went to a local indie show here in the Orlando area called New Generation Championship wrestling. It's a promotion built around Puerto Rican wrestling with some local Florida talent and old WWE wrestlers. Matches included Billy Gunn vs Snitsky in 2018 that was horrible. Snitsky looks like Braun's dad now with skinny legs. Billy looks the same but this was slow and the crowd shits on it.  Another match was the WAR team of Eli Drake, Chris Adonis and Mike Knox vs Chicano, Apollo and some Samoan guy. This was alright but the crowd didn't really know the heels and Knox looked hurt so he didn't do much. Best match of the night was MechaWolf vs Laredo Kid vs Zumbi. Mecha was over huge since he's from the area and this had some awesome lucha moves which was fine cause the other matches didn't. There was also an invasion angle with a bunch of old Puerto Rican guys like Chicky starr, Glamour Boy Shane, Ricky Santana, Fidel Sierra and others beating up the babyfaces in the promotion. It's weird to do this for a promotion's second show but I enjoyed it. Always great to see Shane who is still in amazing shape and could have a run for the NXT title. Main Event was Carlito vs Alberto El Patron. A typical match between the two but very heated. The crowd hated Alberto. He won of course when Savio Vega turned heel and almost caused a riot making fun of Puerto Ricans. Fun show that drew about 500 and is different from anything else in the area and it's nice to go to a show that doesn't involve Chaysen Rance and his group of idiots.

This sounds like your typical WWC or prime IWA show.

Glad you enjoyed it.