DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Umm, and then there's this...

I'm guessing Jeff is just working the internet, but I'd like to see him in NXT.

Let's face it, there's no chance he's not on their radar.  I would be amazed if Regal hasn't pimped him out to Triple H by now.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:51 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He really missed the mark on "extending an olive branch." 

I know it's Twitter and it goes without saying, but the responses are a cesspool. 

Oh he extended something. 

20 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

On the other hand, I suspect Elgin is probably not the worse scumbag/pervert/drug addict they've booked over the years.  Probably not even close.

Can you imagine how low he would rank if you counted the people watching live too?

• Like 2

I was at the Tetsujin (UWF rules basically, ko/submission only) show last weekend in Liverpool (sorry I didn't see a Brit indie thread). Same deal as last time - 8 man tournament with a non-tournament 'super fight'. I recommend ZSJr vs David Starr when it becomes more widely available. The whole card felt a bit more like strong style than shoot style and on some level I was a little disappointed. But if you're planning on watching Riddle's Bloodsport, and you like WXW's Ambition events, then I think there's something here for you.

DVnh0XNUMAERg3y.jpg

I took this shot of the guys in the tournament l-r: Craig Kollins, Chris Brookes, Mark Haskins, Mike Bird, Large Ref, Chris Ridgeway, Omari, PROGRESS Champ Travis Banks, and Kyle Fletcher.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

I was at the Tetsujin (UWF rules basically, ko/submission only) show last weekend in Liverpool (sorry I didn't see a Brit indie thread). Same deal as last time - 8 man tournament with a non-tournament 'super fight'. I recommend ZSJr vs David Starr when it becomes more widely available. The whole card felt a bit more like strong style than shoot style and on some level I was a little disappointed. But if you're planning on watching Riddle's Bloodsport, and you like WXW's Ambition events, then I think there's something here for you.

DVnh0XNUMAERg3y.jpg

I took this shot of the guys in the tournament l-r: Craig Kollins, Chris Brookes, Mark Haskins, Mike Bird, Large Ref, Chris Ridgeway, Omari, PROGRESS Champ Travis Banks, and Kyle Fletcher.

I laugh every time Ridgeway is announced as having a black belt in "being hard as fuck.". 

5 hours ago, Edwin said:

Fantastic matchmaking, but the stip could be a bit risky given the venue...

Horrifying match. I'd be scared of the stuff they'd do in a regular match let alone a fans bring the weapons stipulation.

I tell myself that every year. In 2016 I told another local promoter I was going to "scale back" my bookings and then in 2017 I worked more than ever before...despite the fact there were/are days I can barely get out of bed. My ankle is so bad I can barely walk, and I wrestled twice tonight (even though in my first  match a greenhorn fell on my ankle so hard I thought he broke it), and I'm working tomorrow night at an unpaid charity show.

I'll quit when I'm dead.

7 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I tell myself that every year. In 2016 I told another local promoter I was going to "scale back" my bookings and then in 2017 I worked more than ever before...despite the fact there were/are days I can barely get out of bed. My ankle is so bad I can barely walk, and I wrestled twice tonight (even though in my first  match a greenhorn fell on my ankle so hard I thought he broke it), and I'm working tomorrow night at an unpaid charity show.

I'll quit when I'm dead.

half-crippled wrestlers are generally my favourite. sucks for you but a bonus for me.

• Haha 1

The New Japan tour that was cross promoted with some Australian indies had what will probably be the biggest night of the tour in Melbourne last night. 

Minoru Suzuki vs Jonah Rock was everything you'd expect it to be, a violent fight. 

I'd say a few Australian indy guys may have gotten themselves New Japan jobs from this tour.

• Like 1

So, despite AAW claiming they were no longer going to book Michael Elgin as a result of recent allegations, and with the uproar that took place at the Friday Pro Wrestling Revolver show he showed up at, guess who showed up at AAW last night? The promoter said that since it was due to Elgin that they were able to book Tetsuya Naito, they felt obligated to have him on the show. 

A lot of people were pissed. 

Well if he would just have used the "we had to do it to book Naito" excuse he might have been able to get away with it.  To be honest if you give us a nice shiny object we can be that way most of the times.   But then he starts puffing his chest and talks about how he knows the Elgin is "innocent" and this is just a big witch hunt.   Someone needs to explain to me how if someone is so not to be blamed for anything why are you so damn worried to tell anybody he is on the show.  

I guarantee you he will be on a Wrestlemania weekend show.  I mean you have to either really untalented or extremely lazy/broke not to be on one these days.   That is going to be interesting to see who is jump on that grenade for no reason