DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

So the Powerbomb TV thing has completely blown up.

I am gonna try to sum this up but even I am not sure I have the right details

IWA-MidSouth booked Michael Elgin and was all WE CAN'T YOU TO WAIT TO WATCH HIM ON POWERBOMB~!

A lot of subscribers were less than pleased about this and were threatening to cancel (or did cancel)

Adam Lash - who is a co-founder of Powerbomb - was less than pleased too in regards to Elgin being booked and that Powerbomb was partnered with IWA Mid-South

So this happened

And now people are unsubscribing in droves (a lot of screenshots of their cancellations are being posted)

(And yes there are people who are pro-Elgin/IWA MidSouth just for the record)

I feel like this would be far less of an issue if Elgin had just made a sincere apology and made some attempt to work things out with Moses. Instead we had "swallow my cock" and the apology his wife probably wrote for him.

Whoa. I knew something was up but didn't know specifically what it was. 

So, serious question. Why would any fan ever support IWA Mid-South, regardless of who is/isn't booked? Why would anyone in the business ever support IWA Mid-South in any fashion? You're going to get drawn into drama at some point, and then feel some sort of financial fallout, either from Ian, or the people he pisses/rips off. 

What sucks is now because of people hating on IWA Mid-South and the Elgin deal, a bunch of other promotions, who did things the right way, are going to feel the financial fallout from the Powerbomb.tv fiasco. 

GCW released a promo with Riddle on the Bloodsport card.

Riddle said it's going to be in a ropeless ring with some of the toughest wrestlers and MMA fighters... I can see Tom Lawlor and Jeff Cobb being on this card.

Edit: Also someone mentioned there needs to be an iPPV for the event and GCW responded there will be one on WWN Live.

The best part is that people had no problem with them being involved with IWA-MS which is basically the sleaziest most disgusting promotion in indy wrestling run by herpes in human form Ian Rotten but all of a sudden they find religion because they booked Elgin. Newsflash: Elgin might not even be one of the 10 sleaziest people associated with that promotion.

8 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The best part is that people had no problem with them being involved with IWA-MS which is basically the sleaziest most disgusting promotion in indy wrestling run by herpes in human form Ian Rotten but all of a sudden they find religion because they booked Elgin. Newsflash: Elgin might not even be one of the 10 sleaziest people associated with that promotion.

Of course not, but Elgin is the sleaziest thing happening RIGHT NOW and that's all that matters.

I was given a contract to sign with Powerbomb TV for my footage, back in July and then my depression hit in August and I almost completely stopped video editing...and never signed on. Kinda glad I didn't sign up as most of these streaming sites are going to shit in a hurry.

I think the thing that hurt Adam is that not only was he less than pleased about having Elgin on the IWA show and went on Twitter telling people that if you don't like seeing Elgin on the show let people know.   A number of people did including some people who helped in the make up of their product and here we are.   It is weird that the thing most people were excited about when announced (adding SmartMark video to their library) is the thing that is killing them right now.   

So unless you are Highspots or the WWE, you really should get out of the wrestling streaming service business.  Hasn't been helpful.

19 hours ago, hammerva said:

They just announced that the 2nd match for Joey Janela's Spring Break.   

Mike Quackenbush vs David Starr.   

I'm really underwhelmed by the idea of this being on the Spring Break show. I am a fan of both performers and if this was the main event of a Sunday afternoon Chikara show I would be all-in, but goddamn I am not into the idea of watching Quackenbush and David Starr trade holds at 1AM. 

On one hand, I understand the uproar about booking showing IWA:MS and them booking Elgin, but you entered the deal, you reap what you sow.  On the other hand, people getting uppity and cancelling subs is going to hurt the other companies that had nothing to do with it that are on Powerbomb for eyes on product and you're fucking them over more than Ian and Elgin.

• Like 1

Why not just not watch the IWA Mid-South show? Elgin is a piece of shit no doubt about it but what about the other promotions on Powerbomb that don't book Elgin, watch them. Ian Rotten sucks we all know this, don't support IWA Mid-South.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Why not just not watch the IWA Mid-South show?

Because rational thought over histrionic gestures is grounds for dismissal from the internet?

I don't really feel like I can take the high ground on this one.  I'd prefer they didn't book Elgin.  On the other hand, I suspect Elgin is probably not the worse scumbag/pervert/drug addict they've booked over the years.  Probably not even close.  And Ian Rotten is possibly the scummiest person you can find in a scummy industry.  None of that has ever stopped me from buying IWA-MS shows if I liked the card.  Hell, in the mid-2000's, IWA-MS was a damn good promotion and most of the big names of the time (Punk, Styles, Joe, Hero, etc.) were working there.

I don't have a problem with people taking a stand against Elgin, but it probably isn't in the top dozen controversial IWAMS doings.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:15 AM, RIPPA said:

Kyle Matthews announced that he is retiring as a wrestler after the SCI 2018 Tournament

So basically he is retiring by year's end

That's too bad.  He's a guy that really should have a higher profile.  I'm a little surprised he never got picked up by somebody like an EVOLVE or ROH.