DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

6 hours ago, Ace said:

IIRC, he literally KO'd his opponent in his first spot in his debut there.

Just rewatched that.  What a reckless little shit.  I'm also impressed with his commitment to getting his shit in, because after the guy is knocked out, Ki proceeds to continue the match by executing two more moves (because, why let unconscious opponents lie, right?), including an unprotected top rope double stomp.

For me - the "Oh indie wrestling never change" part is that of course all the name "heel" type guys (Joey Janela, Nick Gage, etc...) are threatening to beat her up

Always a good look

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

They have a championship called the "Get Your Shit In Title."  I LOL'd

2 hours ago, nate said:

Just rewatched that.  What a reckless little shit.  I'm also impressed with his commitment to getting his shit in, because after the guy is knocked out, Ki proceeds to continue the match by executing two more moves (because, why let unconscious opponents lie, right?), including an unprotected top rope double stomp.

What odd synchronicity.

• Like 1

It seems to me WWE should reach out to Izzy with some kind of PC or Full Sail internship, if for no other reason than if this goes badly there's so much footage and so many social media posts for news outlets to reference them. Even if the parents turn it down because there's no money, at least WWE can say they tried. 

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wait, what?

Jesus Christ is her family exploiting her

This seems less like just "her family's exploiting her" (though don't get me wrong, it's definitely a part of it) and more living proof of Law of Pro Wrestling:

Professional wrestling is so inherently carny at its core that any human being, no matter how good a person they are beforehand, will inevitably become carny upon getting any semblance of popularity related to professional wrestling in any way, shape, or form. 

• Like 6

Stoked for tomorrow's MLW card.

MLW World Title Tournament Opening Round: MVP vs. Tom Lawlor
MLW World Title Tournament Opening Round: Matt Riddle vs. Jeff Cobb
MLW World Title Tournament Opening Round: Brody King vs. Shane Strickland
MLW World Title Tournament Opening Round: Jimmy Havoc vs. Maxwell Jacob Friedman
Sami Callihan vs. Darby Allin
Austin Aries vs. ACH
Chelsea Green vs. Priscilla Kelly
Simon Gotch and Seth Petruzelli vs. Jimmy Yuta and Jason Cade
Destino Negro vs. Mega Danger
Mike Parrow & TBD vs. Saieve Al Sabah and Vanda Ortagun
Plus: Low Ki, Barrington Hughes, Kotto Brazil and Rhett Giddins

Super stoked for the tournament. They're building the company around Strickland. I can see him going out of the tournament early and turning heel at some point and winning the title as a heel ala Jimmy Havoc in PROGRESS.

Also looking forward to Callihan/Allin and Aries/ACH. Curious to see what The Crash guys can put together too.

Judging by the remaining guys on the card, I can see Barrington squashing Kotto and Low Ki/Giddins or a 3 way between Ki/Kotto/Giddins and having someone else get squashed by Barrington.

53 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I've never been sure...is Izzy some make-a-wish/special needs kid or just a normal fan who happened to gain some notoriety?

She's  special in the fact that her parents are both obnoxious rat whores to NXT/WWE.  Does anyone else remember them being pissy and leaving a taping because they couldn't get their normal seats by the rail?  This was when Bayley was still in NXT.   Any parent that would let their 10-13 yr old daughter around a wrestling locker room needs to have their head examined.   Having said that, she would make a great sister Abigail

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, nate said:

Insane. 

What makes this even dumber is the fact that if he just stops after the first kick, it actually works out BETTER for Low Ki in terms of getting himself over. Having him come in, knock a guy out with ONE kick, then leave would come across as pretty badass, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eh - the kid and family are having fun and clearly love wrestling. I sincerely doubt she's doing coke and double-teaming hookers like that little Von Eric kid was as a teen.  Is this markedly worse than when ECW Hat Guy like reffed matches and shit? I mean if you want to all Cornette and take umbrage at fans getting into "da biz" then fine but I wouldn't get too upset here.  I mean, if the family starts making towns in the midwest or some shit, then maybe take umbrage. But going up the road to some indy and letting your kid have some fun isn't awful and maybe puts some money in everyone's pocket. 

On another topic, so...somehow I can't recall ever watching a Sekimoto match. That seems impossible but fuck me if I can think of one. I hear he's the shit? Any one or two matches I should hit up? 

I haven't watched Sekimoto in forever, but he was awesome back in 2004 - 2005.

Seek anything with him against or tagging with Otani in BJW and ZERO ONE and his matches against Ishii and Mammoth were pretty great too.

Edit: There was a highly praised match against Brody Lee from CHIKARA from back then too, so you may want to look that one up too.

4 hours ago, Hagan said:

Eh - the kid and family are having fun and clearly love wrestling. I sincerely doubt she's doing coke and double-teaming hookers like that little Von Eric kid was as a teen.  Is this markedly worse than when ECW Hat Guy like reffed matches and shit? I mean if you want to all Cornette and take umbrage at fans getting into "da biz" then fine but I wouldn't get too upset here.  I mean, if the family starts making towns in the midwest or some shit, then maybe take umbrage. But going up the road to some indy and letting your kid have some fun isn't awful and maybe puts some money in everyone's pocket. 

On another topic, so...somehow I can't recall ever watching a Sekimoto match. That seems impossible but fuck me if I can think of one. I hear he's the shit? Any one or two matches I should hit up? 

Can I just say that's the most "umbrage" I think I've ever seen on this board before?

9 hours ago, Hagan said:

When you're giving creepy adult manchildren the opportunity to hug your prepubescent daughter for money, that isn't "having some fun." That's G-rated pimping.