DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

wXw has uploaded Back to the Roots XVII on wXw NOW.

Can't wait to watch it over the weekend as I have grad school work to do this week, but I'm really looking forward to watch Die Käfigschlacht.

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well this is a suitable Jeff Cobb replacement

I don't know why it took me twelve years, but I'm finally going this year for the first time. To overcompensate I already bought tickets for 8 of the 10 scheduled events that weekend.

I was holding out hope for Keith Lee from the beginning, very sad that it comes at the expense of Jeff Cobb, but as it stands the line-up still looks pretty awesome.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 12:20 PM, Edwin said:

wXw has uploaded Back to the Roots XVII on wXw NOW.

Can't wait to watch it over the weekend as I have grad school work to do this week, but I'm really looking forward to watch Die Käfigschlacht.

Why is Alan4L no longer doing commentary for wXw?!

Käfigschlacht was fun if not a bit of a mess. Never a fan of cage matches spilling to the outside barring the one ridiculous exception. They also tried to fit too many things into a match where you've already got so much shit going on to begin with but I enjoyed watching Ringkampf annihilate those greasy shitbums in Rise. 

On 25.1.2018 at 6:22 AM, Oyaji said:

Why is Alan4L no longer doing commentary for wXw?!

They are doing live commentary for their bigger shows. It's probably not feasible to fly Alan in for that every time. He still does commentary on Shotgun I believe.

• Thanks 1

Thought Back to the Roots XVII was underwhelming entirely.

Was namely looking forward to Toni Storm vs. Kelly, but that wasn't that good. I like Kelly, but she's still a rookie. I did like they kept it simple and didn't go overboard with it.

The cage match was really underwhelming. Thought WALTER and Lucky Kid looked the best for either side. WALTER was a beast hitting nasty strikes and big bombs in there and Kid was fun when he came in as the lunatic. Ivan Kiev namely looked really bad. His strikes and everything pretty much he did looked weak. The lack of blood and them trying to cram in as much as they did into this really dragged this down.

I do still dig the promotion and its format with the extensive tours recording footage for the weekly Shotgun episodes leading to the marquee events.

9 hours ago, Edwin said:

The lack of blood 

Unless you are watching CZW the days of blood and blading in wrestling are pretty much over, and there's pretty good reasons for that (blood borne illnesses being the big one, EG: Nigel McGuinnes).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Unless you are watching CZW the days of blood and blading in wrestling are pretty much over, and there's pretty good reasons for that (blood borne illnesses being the big one, EG: Nigel McGuinnes).

Maybe, but Ilja Dragunov bleeding his guts out at their last show against John Klinger set the expectations for this...

On 27/01/2018 at 5:52 AM, RIPPA said:

Progress announced they will be doing three dates in Australia in April

Should be fun, PWA in Sydney were my local indy for a good decade until I moved to Melbourne last year. Some of their guys fall into the Chikara skinny guys doing comedy bullshit, but a lot of their roster is great. MCW is my local indy now and currently, probably the best promotion in Australia, have a lot of good violent wrestling which is always welcome, also they're the promotion that have had the biggest part in the New Japan expansion into Australia too. EPW Perth is a great fed, on the other side of the country but their Video On Demand service is excellent. They have an old school storytelling feel to their shows and aren't afraid to do blood and violence on their cards either.

I don't really follow this stuff too much, I occasionally look at @IfYouSeeSeb's tweets bc he's from my ends kind of. Anyway, UK Wrestling seems to be in the middle of a sexual misconduct saga - couple of significant promoters, some wrestlers.....nothing that's going to affect Progress et al too much probably (one minor feud will have been dropped), but we'll see how deep the rabbithole goes I guess.

8 hours ago, България завинаги said:

I don't really follow this stuff too much, I occasionally look at @IfYouSeeSeb's tweets bc he's from my ends kind of. Anyway, UK Wrestling seems to be in the middle of a sexual misconduct saga - couple of significant promoters, some wrestlers.....nothing that's going to affect Progress et al too much probably (one minor feud will have been dropped), but we'll see how deep the rabbithole goes I guess.

Huh? Can you please clarify? I have no idea what you're on about, but am curious due to my interest in my UK wrestling.

Possibly, Will Ospreay said something too but then walked back on it.

There's a number of allegations, with not necessarily everyone getting named. Some of those allegations I believe come from former Progress competitor Polyanna (@GothicLolly) who is now retired.

Sebastian (@IfYouSeeSeb), who was in the GZRs and had a run in Progress also, has been making cracks about 'nonces' in the British Wrestling scene for sometime.

@BritWresCrusader probably the other account to check out if you want to try to get the names.

Pro Wrestling Revolver booked Lucha Bros vs Teddy Hart & Jack Evans for Mania weekend.

Basically in a span of under 24 hours, I'm going to be seeing WALTER vs. Darby Allin, Janela vs. Sasuke, and Lucha Bros vs. Teddy & Jack, all live.  Is it possible to OD on pro wrestling?

• Like 3