DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Back from PCW Ultra.

The Good: 

• ACH & Shane Strickland. Both guys are so close to having the entire package down. ACH's selling was downright agonizing against Fenix. 
  • I shook Keiji Muto's hand. WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME?!
  • Kikutaro not only is still fun, but he put out my new favorite wrestling t-shirt.
    1002_3_1.png
  • Monsters like Brody King and WARBEAST (Josef (AKA the Almighty Sheik) and (Jacob) Fatu (Tonga Kid's kid)
  • This show had better production value than Gabe Sapolsky has ever had, and is better than most of ROH's. Only thing missing is surround sound and a video screen.

The Bad:

• Ganseki Tanaka from W-1 is nowhere near ready for prime time.
  • CHAIRSHOTS TO THE FUCKING HEAD. Josef and Jimmy Jacobs spiking each other? I've no problem with that (Josef's blading was blatant and not that great though). Chairshots full on to the head? No thank you.
  • Children wandering after wrestlers through the ring entrance aisle. There wasn't security there until the second half of the show.

The Ugly?

• RVD was looking a bit tubby.
  • Kevin Sullivan was the only human I ever saw move more gingerly than Keiji Muto,
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ace said:

Kevin Sullivan was the only human I ever saw move more gingerly than Keiji Muto

Makes me imagine his reactions watching his matches from, oh say, '02. Wincing, grimacing, grumbling, and eventually just asking for it to be turned off when he sees himself giving a cutter to Tenryu off the top to the outside, slowly stands up and mutters "I gotta take my pills". 

17 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

While I'm so stoked to be a heel again for the first time in a decade, I still find myself asking fans if they're having a good time...I just need to remember to follow up with, "Like I even CARE if you had a good time!" ;)

They usually do it while we are getting the cameras and misc set up. So it is a bit before the crowd comes in. Took Vordell 3 shows to realize we end up traveling almost as much as he does.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ace said:

Back from PCW Ultra.

The Good: 

• ACH & Shane Strickland. Both guys are so close to having the entire package down. ACH's selling was downright agonizing against Fenix. 
  • I shook Keiji Muto's hand. WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME?!
  • Kikutaro not only is still fun, but he put out my new favorite wrestling t-shirt.
    1002_3_1.png
  • Monsters like Brody King and WARBEAST (Josef (AKA the Almighty Sheik) and (Jacob) Fatu (Tonga Kid's kid)
  • This show had better production value than Gabe Sapolsky has ever had, and is better than most of ROH's. Only thing missing is surround sound and a video screen.

The Bad:

• Ganseki Tanaka from W-1 is nowhere near ready for prime time.
  • CHAIRSHOTS TO THE FUCKING HEAD. Josef and Jimmy Jacobs spiking each other? I've no problem with that (Josef's blading was blatant and not that great though). Chairshots full on to the head? No thank you.
  • Children wandering after wrestlers through the ring entrance aisle. There wasn't security there until the second half of the show.

The Ugly?

• RVD was looking a bit tubby.
  • Kevin Sullivan was the only human I ever saw move more gingerly than Keiji Muto,

I used some credit I built up on FITE and ordered the Ppv. Might watch it tomorrow.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:39 PM, CSC said:

So I signed up for a free trail of Powerbomb.tv to check out SCI, and then of course I forgot to cancel it in time so I have it for a month and good lord are there a ton of promotions on there that I've never heard of before.

Does anyone have any good jumping off point as to the best promotions or shows that are available on the service?  Because I am overwhelmed. 

AIW Absoultion and the Jt Lightning tournament are both great.  Night 2 of the tournament has Samoa Joe vs Johnny Gargano.

The gif of the stump puller "receipt" by Hero ... when Hero pulls Ki's legs back, dragon sleeper headlock style, there's a point where one of Ki's right leg muscles damn near secedes from the union.  Couldn't have happened to a better person, either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I thought he also did something when he was brought into WCW as the Convict. 

After the Sting match in 1993, I think WCW just forgot Nailz was under contract. He "earned" $144,360.85 in 1998 and $100,393.03 in 1999, with his contract being terminated on May 28th, 1999. It took WCW six years to fix the glitch. Surprisingly, Nailz didn't set the building on fire. 

• Haha 3

Yeah for years they kept missing the 90 day window to prevent his contract rolling over or whatever.

I mean, I guess technically he breached the contract the handful of times he wrestled during it.

Was at Destiny as well. I was kind of expecting a screwy finish for Aries-Dunne. It's funny though, I can't really find anything specifically wrong with the match, but it just never hit that next level for me. Could be a victim of my very high expectations, could be because it was heel vs. heel (or if Aries was trying to work the face role, he needs to understand that shoving six belts in your opponent's face doesn't make you seem likeable).

Josh Alexander vs. Elgin was MOTN and got a standing ovation. Sorry, but it seems like Elgin's weirdly motivated again as he's basically saying "Hey, if you're actually willing to book me right now, maybe some people will stay home but I'll damn sure try to make up for it by giving you the best I've got". And apparently I can still enjoy his matches.

• Like 1

The whole Destiny show was good. Elgin-Alexander was incredible, RJ City vs Stone Rockwell was well done comedy and I loved the main. You knew there wasn't going to be a clean finish so I thought it was a good creative way to go about it. Protects Dunne and Aries and it fits Ellsworth's character perfectly.