DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am biased by NOVA Pro (Paradise by the Dashboard Light is the one I went to live and loved. It had Chris Hero vs. Arik Royal and Jonathan Gresham vs. Donovan Dijak. http://deathvalleydriver.com/nova112516/)

And then also Beyond and AIW

Assuming you were talking just US indies - because there is all the lucha too.

Speaking of NOVA Pro at Magfest we ran into the ring announcer for them.  He was cosplaying as Hiromu Takahashi and pulled it off pretty well.  Seems like a nice enough guy.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:33 AM, ChesterCopperpot said:

So - this did happen tonight - result in spoiler

WWE United Kingdom Champion, Pete Dunne Vs IWGP Junior-Heavyweight Champion, Will Ospreay ended in a double count out

Ospreys takes the mic and asks if Pete wants to 5 more minutes, Pete hits Ospreay low and gives him a pedigree, Dunne picks him up and goes for a rainmaker but Ospreay gives him the OsCutter and Dunne leaves! Ospreay takes the mic and speaks about this being monumental not only for British wrestling with guys like himself, Dunne, Scurll, Bate, Seven, Sabre Jr, Wolfgang, Andrews and others around the world but its big on a global scale as maybe just maybe this is the start of something even bigger… WWE Vs New Japan Pro Wrestling!

keaEfgA.jpg

It was DVDVR that loved Vordell Walker right? Anyways hitting this show next month. BIW was runnign 5 to 6 shows a year in my town a few years ago. Then got screwed by a sponsor and the promoter moved cause of his job. Main event should be great. They were building to it back before BIW took a few year hiatus. Terrale Tempo has been getting more and more attention. Plus Chase Stevens usually ends up stealing every show he is on. In March gonna goto a Wrestle Birmingham,in Bessemer AL,with Chase vs James STorm.

3 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

Keith Lee vs Tracy Williams in a No Holds Barred match in Joppa for Evolve 101 (February 18th) has me like

mLmKjwl.png

Why does Evolve always book Lee to come into town when I will be at fucking Ft. Leavenworth on TDY for the weekend?

19 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

So - this did happen tonight - result in spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

As someone who was there, I thought the match was a lot of fun, even though Ospreay on two occasions sold big moves by hitting a big extra-flippy move of his own, and then deciding to actually sell. Being a WWE vs NJPW match, there were some terrible chants, including a heckle of "You'll never get into the Bullet Club" when Pete was working over Ospreay's hand. Ospreay's post match promo was interesting though, felt like he was hinting at something big coming up after referring to first Jericho being at Wrestle Kingdom and Raw 25 in the same month, followed by a WWE title holder wrestling an IWGP title holder, before adding "Who knows what's coming next....WWE vs New Japan?" in a nudge nudge way.

I'm not getting my hopes up on WWE vs. New Japan.  But if that ever did happen there'd be a shitton of pants being misplaced and rightfully so.

And @J.T. I'll be at the show so I'll be sure to take photos and everything.  Stinks that it always tends to happen while you have something going on.

• Like 1

There's very little chance Vince will agree to a WWE/NJPW working relationship of any substance, now that New Japan is trying to cross over to the states.  Guys like Omega, the Bucks, and New Day have been dropping hints for years about to break down the barriers between promotions, but it's mostly wishful thinking. 

Yeah it's a lot of wishful thinking at this point. Vince probably won't work with NJPW but I do think WWE should find ways to work with other promotions if only so they can send PC students on excursions especially for younger guys and those who they don't want to have the NXT mark on for any reason. There's a lot that a young wrestler could learn doing a few NJPW tours working tag matches with guys like Kojima, Tenzan, Nagata, Liger, etc. Or sending someone down to CMLL or AAA for a year or put a younger guy in the wXw 16K tournament. Also it's not like it would hurt WWE to let someone like Noam Dar or Mustafa Ali to work a BOSJ tournament. 

1 minute ago, Marty Sugar said:

Lots of young WWE guys get chances to work New Japan...when creative has nothing for them, and they get let go. That's how the relationship works: "Go away and get back on our radar on your own." ;)

Oddly enough I prefer this method.  If somebody really wants it bad enough going out and proving you deserve a second look sounds like a good idea.  There's many who are fine just going around doing random shows and meet and greets.  But then there's guys like Drew Mcintyre/Galloway and Ohno/Chris Hero who were hell-bent on setting the wrestling world on fire.  While Ohno was more likely to get back without having to put as much effort Drew tearing it up was exactly what he needed.

I wouldn't blame WWE if they sent inexperienced talents around the world.  But I feel that something might be missing that you can't get from guys like Drew and Ohno who went the way they did.

• Like 2

Juice Robinson being another notable example who cut bait with WWE when it looked like he would turn into a heel Zack Ryder if he stuck around too much longer.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Juice Robinson being another notable example who cut bait with WWE when it looked like he would turn into a heel Zack Ryder if he stuck around too much longer.

That is true, and to a bigger extent Cody is a prime example of somebody who quit for bigger opportunities.  I was referring to folks that were let go by WWE though (I believe Juice quit, if he was let go then I stand corrected)

4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

There's very little chance Vince will agree to a WWE/NJPW working relationship of any substance, now that New Japan is trying to cross over to the states.  Guys like Omega, the Bucks, and New Day have been dropping hints for years about to break down the barriers between promotions, but it's mostly wishful thinking. 

Its not a Vince issue alone. NJPW are kind of pissed at WWE. They dislike that WWE doesn't see them as competition and were sour about Nakamura, AJ, & the good Brothers all leaving to WWE around the same time. NJPW's recent push into the states just makes even less likely.

6 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Honestly before I started seeing Vordell live , I wasn't a big fan. Then it got to were I was seeing Walker live 20 Times a year.

Plus it helps that him and his wife are super nice. He always comes by and asks us about our trip to the show.

While I'm so stoked to be a heel again for the first time in a decade, I still find myself asking fans if they're having a good time...I just need to remember to follow up with, "Like I even CARE if you had a good time!" ;)

• Like 2