DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yikes, is that shit with Stuttsy a work / real life parody or is it legit?

Given that his (ex?) wife was talking about her heart being broken several times over on Twitter, my money’s on “not a work.”

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

Revisiting some 2004 IWA-MS shows on Highspots Network -- as I had their entire run that year on VHS and DVD -- and it was truly a great year for them. Maybe their best year as a company. I personally preferred them to ROH that year.

Got a list of matches I'm still going to re-watch, but among the ones I've re-watched are Hero vs. Joe from May and Necro vs. Mr. Insanity from the opening round of the KOTDM.

The atmosphere at the Lincoln Center shows was great. The split crowd for Hero vs. Joe really provided an amazing atmosphere back then. 250 fans made it feel like a 2K+ packed Korakuen Hall.

Great stuff.

I wish everyone saw 2002-2005 IWA-MS   not only are the shows stacked but the commentary is my favorite of any promotion. Especially the Cm Punk stuff.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I wish everyone saw 2002-2005 IWA-MS   not only are the shows stacked but the commentary is my favorite of any promotion. Especially the Cm Punk stuff.

The commentary was pretty good. I dug Dave Prazak’s various partners throughout shows.

Watching some older southern California footage and Bobby Quance was really good. Sucks he had such a short career.

Okay, so El P vs. Dunne was pretty great. Dunne didn't think Phantasmo deserved to be in there with him for the first half of the match, completely dominated him. I thoroughly enjoyed the match structure, because it wasn't your standard 50/50 or 60/40 in favour of the guy doing the job. Good stuff. Phantasmo looked a little nervous at the start, which surprised me, because he's pretty cocky here in Vancouver and has worked guys like Brian Cage at biggish shows. He eventually settled in though. One of his better matches I've seen but not as good as the Cage or KOR Commodore matches.

I joked that the Keith Lee/Raymond Rowe match was "Get everything in before going to WWE" booking.

Well...

So as folks have joked on Twitter - War Machine must have passed their medicals

On 1/9/2018 at 6:38 AM, J.T. said:

Yikes, is that shit with Stuttsy a work / real life parody or is it legit?

Bruce Mitchell putting a bow on this awful situation.   

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2018/01/10/mitchell-cwf-mid-atlantic-brad-stutts-split/

From the sounds of it CWF should be fine. Might be rocky at first but fine.   Especially since the guy booking the best angle in the company (Trevor Lee's title run) was Trevor himself

• Like 4

On a personal level, I'm glad Bruce wrote the piece, as he's been a great friend to the company. 

I haven't spoken on the situation, for obvious reasons, but mainly because I refused to trash someone who has been my broadcast partner for years, someone who really gave me a chance to be something, and above all else, my friend. At the same time, the company was in the right, and I've called CWF home for a decade, and will continue doing so.

As Bruce stated, I will assume the play by play role going forward, and I hope I can continue the excellent standard Brad and I set.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Bruce Mitchell putting a bow on this awful situation.   

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2018/01/10/mitchell-cwf-mid-atlantic-brad-stutts-split/

From the sounds of it CWF should be fine. Might be rocky at first but fine.   Especially since the guy booking the best angle in the company (Trevor Lee's title run) was Trevor himself

It's cool that someone finally got to the bottom of this, but Mitchell kind of undersells the gravity of the situation.  This is organized crime type stuff he was allegedly involved in.  Felony crimes.  This isn't some "go hang out with your wife and think about what you've done" stuff.  This is "I hope you have a great lawyer, because you may be in deep shit" trouble.

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

It's cool that someone finally got to the bottom of this, but Mitchell kind of undersells the gravity of the situation.  This is organized crime type stuff he was allegedly involved in.  Felony crimes.  This isn't some "go hang out with your wife and think about what you've done" stuff.  This is "I hope you have a great lawyer, because you may be in deep shit" trouble.

While I agree with you, this is indie wrestling we're talking about. So many promotions are doing shit on the back end to make ends meet. When I started Big West back in 2011, I was immediately contacted by a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend-of-a-questionable-character to use the promotion as a money-laundering front. I won't lie: it was fucking tempting. But I had two little girls and at the time I was married, so I passed. During the lean years (aka, 2011-present), I sometimes regret that decision.

49 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

While I agree with you, this is indie wrestling we're talking about. So many promotions are doing shit on the back end to make ends meet. When I started Big West back in 2011, I was immediately contacted by a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend-of-a-questionable-character to use the promotion as a money-laundering front. I won't lie: it was fucking tempting. But I had two little girls and at the time I was married, so I passed. During the lean years (aka, 2011-present), I sometimes regret that decision.

I'm sure it goes on a lot, but in this instance, it's out in the public now.  And if the FBI decides they want to investigate, there could be serious trouble for everyone involved.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Remember the Harley Race-Vince McMahon story from 1983.  

In the bathroom Harley looked at Vince’s reflection in the mirror and asked….”Vince, what do you see?”

McMahon responded by saying…”I see you in the mirror.”

Race then said, “Well, tomorrow morning I have to see that same reflection in the mirror.” 

Re: the drug money involved, it's wrestling.  Either the money's coming FROM drugs, or that's where it's going afterward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Re: the drug money involved, it's wrestling.  Either the money's coming FROM drugs, or that's where it's going afterward.

I live in Kelowna (aka "The Cokanagan") and work in a bar downtown. I know far too much about drugs coming and going...

I haven't seen much of Dunne's stuff outside the WWE universe after winning the title.  Does he carry the UK title with him to the ring and bill himself as the champion?  I'd think he'd have to sign off with WWE management before doing that.  Or can the UK guys just do what they want in other promotions as long as they commit to all the WWE dates?