DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

16 hours ago, Edwin said:

Pete Dunne vs. Jack Gallagher for the WWE United Kingdom title from PROGRESS 60 was amazing.

That is all.

Insane match. The magic of tape delay gives Pete Dunne two legit MOTYCs in like a week and a half.

Gallagher looked like an absolute stud, and there's no way Dunne isn't at least knocking on the door of top 5-10 in the world right now.

Just finished watching the wXW 17th Anniversary — Ilja Dragunov is one of the craziest guys in wrestling up there with Darby Allin. His match with John Klinger was nuts. I’m sure he got concussed a half dozen times and lost at least a galon of blood. Crazy stuff.

Thank you for reminding me I need more wXw in my life. Still speed viewing all the New Japan smaller stuff I've been meaning to get around to the past 6 months, but wXw is next.

I wasn't as high on the Gallagher/Dunne match as you twoz. It was technically a really good match but I wasn't digging the two mean guy slant the match had (I don't buy Gallagher as a serious bidness heel despite his MMA background) and the crowd was politely following along but not hot for it either. I skipped right to that match. Was the crowd an unusually dead bunch, burned out by that point, or just indifferent?

It was a tough dynamic to get behind: two notional heels who are extremely popular (Dunne has half-turned face, Gallagher's heel turn on 205 Live possibly not treated as canon here) with no real peril in the match. Also, it had just followed Banks & Ospreay being AMAZING so, yeah, a little bit down.

• Like 1

My read may be way off but I loved the UK title bout as Gallagher - full-time day job corporate motherfucker - coming back to the old neighborhood and proving he could still hang with the baddest guy in the yard, all the Gentleman Jack/umbrella business be damned. Which made for a pretty compelling story when paired with the in-ring work, even if it was only in my head.

Banks/Ospreay was great and super emotionally charged and did seem to give the crowd basically everything they were looking for, so agree that was a hell of an act to follow. Also, a long show with a LOT of stuff going on, so fatigue and sensory overload and all that were probably in play as well.

That was the first full Progress show I've watched and I can see why it's so popular. Silly comedy match, brutal garbage match, fun women's match (Candyfloss does a corner dropkick that made me say "Yikes"), and the top two title matches were great. Yeah, Dunne/Gallagher wasn't on the level of Dunne/Bates but it was close and reminded me why Gallagher was an instant favorite when I first saw him at CWC. And I've been as critical of Ospreay as others but he held it down here. Definitely going to plan my next UK trip with a Progress show in mind.

I never got that vibe from Dunne vs. Gallagher -- odd dynamic of heel vs. heel.

How long does it usually take the Highspots Network to add the current wXw shows? A day, 2 days, a week, a month after they're uploaded to wXw Now? I signed up to wXw Now to follow along going forward, but if the Highspots Network adds the wXw events around the same time wXw Now does, then I'll just shift over and change over to the Highspots Network and check out whatever else they add.

11 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I never got that vibe from Dunne vs. Gallagher -- odd dynamic of heel vs. heel.

How long does it usually take the Highspots Network to add the current wXw shows? A day, 2 days, a week, a month after they're uploaded to wXw Now? I signed up to wXw Now to follow along going forward, but if the Highspots Network adds the wXw events around the same time wXw Now does, then I'll just shift over and change over to the Highspots Network and check out whatever else they add.

Does wXw Now upload shows the day of? Looking at HS Network, wXw 17th Anniversary went up on January 5th (date of show: December 23). WXW: Fight Forever Tour 2017: Hamburg (December 2nd) went up December 29th. WXW: Broken Rules XVII (November 18th) went up November 30th. So the delay isn't consistent but that may depend on when they go up on Now.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Does wXw Now upload shows the day of? Looking at HS Network, wXw 17th Anniversary went up on January 5th (date of show: December 23). WXW: Fight Forever Tour 2017: Hamburg (December 2nd) went up December 29th. WXW: Broken Rules XVII (November 18th) went up November 30th. So the delay isn't consistent but that may depend on when they go up on Now.

The 17th Anniversary was uploaded on the 28th in English, so it seems like its a solid 4-5 days before it goes up on wXw now and 2 or so weeks before it goes up on the Highspots Network.

Thanks!

I’m hoping MLW starts booking some of these wXw guys — namely Thatcher, WALTER and Dragunov.

Thatcher and WALTER vs. Cobb and Riddle and Dragunov joining up Allin and Havoc would be the nuttiest trio in wrestling currently.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well tonight is a rather shocking and sad turn of events.  

Not sure of the details but has to be something and not good.  

Man, that one chick sure has a mad-on for Trevor Lee, though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

over-under on Barrington Hughes' match time?

Under 50, over 25.

For some reason I guess the guys he's squashing are most likely Larry Zbyszko students.

Revisiting some 2004 IWA-MS shows on Highspots Network -- as I had their entire run that year on VHS and DVD -- and it was truly a great year for them. Maybe their best year as a company. I personally preferred them to ROH that year.

Got a list of matches I'm still going to re-watch, but among the ones I've re-watched are Hero vs. Joe from May and Necro vs. Mr. Insanity from the opening round of the KOTDM.

The atmosphere at the Lincoln Center shows was great. The split crowd for Hero vs. Joe really provided an amazing atmosphere back then. 250 fans made it feel like a 2K+ packed Korakuen Hall.

Great stuff.