DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Also. I'm really not to keen on them updating Magnum. I mean you need someone is masculine but has that sense of humor and no actor comes to mind for me that did that like Tom selleck did. I swear to god if we get Malcolm Mcdowell as the ne Higgins I'm just gonna scream

James

HERE COMES THE NEIGHBORHOOD

"The CBS Television Studios-produced comedy centers on the nicest guy in the Midwest, who moves his family into a tough neighborhood in L.A. where not everyone appreciates his extreme neighborliness."

Just... seriously? Seriously?

Suits will return for an 8th season but without Patrick J. Adams or Meghan Markle. 

They will have to introduce a character more likeable than Harvey or Louis if I am going to continue to watch that show.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Suits will return for an 8th season but without Patrick J. Adams or Meghan Markle. 

They will have to introduce a character more likeable than Harvey or Louis if I am going to continue to watch that show.

Well, that's how they deal with that, I guess. I'm guessing that doesn't mean we can get a Patrick J Adams Hourman show?

I was going to post about that earlier, then didn't.  Strikes me as a really odd choice, as - without Adams/Mike - there's basically no premise.  After seven seasons, the show has probably peaked creatively, so I don't really see the point.  Guess USA has nothing in the pipeline to replace it with.

Kinda glad that Adams is leaving.  I'm assuming they'd have brought another romantic interest in to replace Markle, but that doesn't seem like a good fit, character-wise.  And, really, the Mike stuff went past the point of credulity at least three or four seasons ago.  Most everyone on the show is a bad person or at least a disgrace to their profession and all the attorneys would have been disbarred long ago.

56 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I don't dislike Gabriel Macht, but he's never struck me as being an exciting actor/personality or having leading man charisma.  Likable characters on the show are Donna and.... no one.

Dule Hill is joining the cast as a regular.  He's appeared before in a recurring role.  Kathering Heigl is also joining the cast.  She's a name, but not sure that's going to up the "likable" quotient.   She generally doesn't project "warm and fuzzy".  Her character on Doubt was a total babyface and the wife and I still found the character off-putting.  Same with her character on State of Affairs.

Weirdly, she and Hill starred together as lawyers on a recent CBS flop called Doubt.

Killing time in BN and reading a book of MASH trivia. I was generally familiar with most of the “before they were famous” appearances (John Ritter, George Wendt, ...) but don’t know if I remember Andrew Dice Clay being on the show. Also, Larry Hama (he of GI JOE comics fame) was in an episode playing a North Korean soldier, alongside Robert Ito (of Quincy fame).

I'm hardly a Mayberry expert, but I was still really surprised to see that Jack Nicholson guest starred twice on The Andy Griffith Show. I knew he kicked around Hollywood in a variety of weird jobs before Easy Rider, but I'd never seen any of his TV work. 

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Killing time in BN and reading a book of MASH trivia. I was generally familiar with most of the “before they were famous” appearances (John Ritter, George Wendt, ...) but don’t know if I remember Andrew Dice Clay being on the show. Also, Larry Hama (he of GI JOE comics fame) was in an episode playing a North Korean soldier, alongside Robert Ito (of Quincy fame).

I give to you Corporal "Dice Clay" Hrabosky:

BJ_with_Corporal_Hrabosky.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, (BP) said:

I'm hardly a Mayberry expert, but I was still really surprised to see that Jack Nicholson guest starred twice on The Andy Griffith Show. I knew he kicked around Hollywood in a variety of weird jobs before Easy Rider, but I'd never seen any of his TV work. 

I remember seeing him on an episode. But it was a color episode, so I can't remember any details. 

Of weird pre fame Nicholson projects, nothing tops the Monkees movie "Head".

Finished mainlining Altered Carbon.

It's a Blade Runner world with GITS tech, stylings of Neuromancer, and grunge of When Gravity Fails. I mean, this is the most cyberpunk anything I've seen in a long while (even more so than the superb Bladerunner 2049).

There was a middle slump but overall a must see for fans of the genre. They went full bore into the transhumanism aspects of cyberpunk and there's some beefy stuff to chew on.

Spoiler

With how easy it was for them to move their ghosts from one host to another, they setup a great Doctor Who-ish regeneration cycle for future seasons. Along with the acknowledging the existence of aliens/tech and multiple colonized worlds, each season can be on a different world with whole different power structure and flavor.

Seriously, plez let there be more seasons!

On 2/6/2018 at 6:54 AM, turk128 said:

Finished mainlining Altered Carbon.

It's a Blade Runner world with GITS tech, stylings of Neuromancer, and grunge of When Gravity Fails. I mean, this is the most cyberpunk anything I've seen in a long while (even more so than the superb Bladerunner 2049).

There was a middle slump but overall a must see for fans of the genre. They went full bore into the transhumanism aspects of cyberpunk and there's some beefy stuff to chew on.

Hide contents

With how easy it was for them to move their ghosts from one host to another, they setup a great Doctor Who-ish regeneration cycle for future seasons. Along with the acknowledging the existence of aliens/tech and multiple colonized worlds, each season can be on a different world with whole different power structure and flavor.

Seriously, plez let there be more seasons!

Just finished it as well and really enjoyed it. Hoping for more. 

Late to the party on a couple shows, but I'm all caught up on Crashing and my wife and I are watching The Night Of.

I really love Crashing, but man does HBO love shows about divorce. There's even a show called Divorce! I'm watching that one too and it's nowhere near as good as Crashing is. I love stand up comedy so much and I love this different look at it, where alternate universe Pete Holmes sucks and is kinda unfunny, but he keeps eating shit on stage anyway because he needs the experience.

The Night Of is something else. We just got to where Naz (Nas?)...

Spoiler

Doesn't plead guilty and loses the plea deal.

The first episode was really shaky with Naz doing the dumbest shit you could imagine. If they set out to create a character with a lot of book smarts, but zero street smarts then they succeeded. It's almost to the point where it's entirely unrealistic for him to still drive this girl around, then do drugs with her when he never does drugs, then drink with her when he rarely drinks, and then do more drugs. It's either shaky or it's really fucking brilliant and I can't tell. Every episode after that is both fantastic and horrifying. I've never watched something where I felt myself in the main characters shoes as much as I do with Naz. There's this constant overwhelming sense of dread where I know I'm innocent and I'm in complete fear for the situation I'm in, but I'm also practically helpless. Anyway, I can only assume the worst happens. I'm avoiding all spoilers no matter what though. I did catch one thing where I wonder if it comes up again...

Spoiler

Andrea lets her cat out in the first episode and I don't really think much of it because so much other shit happens. Then in episode 3 or 4 John Turturro's character spots the cat at the same gate that Andrea opens and it hits me like a ton of bricks - she doesn't lock the gate. If the killer gets in from somewhere, I'm guessing that's where they come in. I also assume that the killer is either her step dad so he becomes the beneficiary of his wife's estate or it's the silent dude who was mean mugging Naz in episode 1, the guy who is the friend of the other guy saying shit about Naz being a terrorist. I really, really, really hope the real killer is found.

I loved the first episode of The Night Of. Incredibly immersive and paranoid, so much so that I'm willing to overlook Naz making every wrong choice in the book. It was, contrary to popular opinion, my favourite episode of the series. 

I have something else I'd like to say in response to you, but I'll wait till you're further along. 

FYI, the John Turturro part was originally going to be James Gandolfini. They even filmed a pilot with him in the role prior to his death. Boy would I have loved to have seen him back with HBO. 

I'm on a binge of Parks and Recreation. I tapped out early in the second last season because shit was hectic, but I'm finally catching up. Since I've got the DVDs, I was pleased to watch the extended sixth season finale which included a fair bit of material involving Councilman Jamm and Tammy 2 that was apparently cut from the version which aired. If you're a fan of the show, you owe it to yourself to seek this out. Megan Mullally is (as always) impossibly funny with the material Schur and company give her. 

• Like 1