DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Casey said:

EDIT: I know we have a thread for that sort of thing, but we all need to talk about West Wing more because it’s becoming one of my favorite shows ever and I’m only on S3. I liked the S3 premiere (that’s the terrorist threat one, right?) more than the S2 finale.

4a26162c-d9f1-4db5-953a-637db550804e_tex

Re: the cameos - Jane Lynch is a reporter during the press conference after President Bartlett gets shot.

Specific to West Wing - you will see a lot of "older" actors who had shows in the 80s pop up and part of me things it was just Aaron Sorkin helping cast friends of his.

I marked out when Peter Scolari shows up.

In fact - you are in Season 3 which might be peak "Hey! It's that person but they are young!"

Gus from Psych, Nancy from Weeds, Peggy from Mad Men...

The 80s stuff I won't notice, since I wasn't born then and shows that old annoy me :P

EDIT: and Laura Dern just showed up in this episode. Jesus, it's like a who's who of actors from shows I watch or used to.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Then you definitely won't enjoy Ken Howard showing up as much as I did

you mean HANK HOOPER?! Yeah, he was in Season 1 or 2, I can't remember. I know a lot of the older faces, just don't know names or anything. They all look familiar but I can't quite place it so I go to Wikipedia.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

you mean HANK HOOPER?! Yeah, he was in Season 1 or 2, I can't remember. I know a lot of the older faces, just don't know names or anything. They all look familiar but I can't quite place it so I go to Wikipedia.

Correct

For us old folks - WHITE SHADOW~! bitches!

Also bonus for being Thomas Jefferson in the film adaptation of 1776

In general - because of the environment that West Wing was set in, it needed a bunch of guys to play old, white politicians. Hence, a boon for old, white actors.

10 hours ago, caley said:

Highlight of the Golden Globes has to be the German filmmaker in his acceptance speech going "Thank you Warner Brothers...see a cop, warn a brother!" and the uncomfortable silence that followed.  

One of my favorite things is when you realize how many people around the world who learn about the United States from pop culture without the context of living in the United States.  Every once in a while a NBA player from Eastern Europe gets interviewed and you realize their entire U.S. experience is framed in the context of hanging out with NBA players.  That dude read a Source magazine in 1998, and just assumed the ads in the back were a reflection of American life.  

• Like 1

There's all this talk about 20+ year old shows, and not a whit anywhere about Alias Grace or, as I'd like to call it, Canadian Distaff Rashomon. It brings the weird and the mindfuckery. The pacing is a little off in the early going, I feel, with two less invested episodes sandwiching a fairly heavy one, but it comes together by the end. 

I started it a couple weeks ago, but I finished watching seasons 1 and 2 of Ash vs Evil Dead last night. That series is really fucking good. It's so much fun and not as dumb as I was expecting. The writing is pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to season 3.

Trust

First three episodes are directed by Danny Boyle

Yes it is about the Gettys. Yes it appears to be a totally different take than All the Money in the World (At least the first season)

Finished watching Dark on Netflix. I really loved it. I don't want to give too much away, but I'm a sucker for the subject matter and it reminds me a lot of Lost. I also recognize that I love Lost more than most on here, but Dark to me was a really interesting story and I'm excited to see where it goes next.

If anyone is going to watch it, watch it in German with English subtitles. The acting is very good. Unless you turn on the English dubbing, which makes the acting really bad.

Finally knocked out the first disc of Tales from the Crypt Season Four. "What's Cookin'?" with Meat Loaf, Christopher Reeve, Bess Armstrong and a wonderfully squirmy Judd Nelson must've been the most EC of the bunch. Hilariously campy and gross as hell. In a darker turn the one right before it, "Beauty Rest", might deserve discussion in the Sexual Harassment thread for the plotline and subtext. "Seance" might've won Cathy Moriarty a well deserved CableACE award but Mimi Rogers deserved it as much. 

Also, from the previous season, if you haven't seen it just watch this. 

• Like 1

Tales from the Crypt is one show that never disappoints when I revisit. Yellow and that Brad Pitt drag racing episode were originally a pilot for a spinoff based on EC's Two Fisted Tales (I believe on Fox.) They were interesting because they had a distinctly different feel from TFTC. I wish that show had gotten picked up. 

Had no idea about that, it would've been rad. "King of the Road" is coming up soon on the chopping block and I've never seen that one, so looking forward to it. 

A Weird Science/Weird Fantasy/Incredible Science Fiction show would be cool too but you know it would be a bunch of bad CGI if they did it these days. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Good lord, the last few episodes of S4 of West Wing and maybe 2 or 3 of S5 are so fuckin’ good. Wow and damn.

This wasn't my impression when I watched these. I'm in the camp that saw the end of season four as Sorkin taking a massive dump on his way out the door. Following that, the writing of Barlet's administration felt like a cheap imitation of Sorkin's work. 

Very mild (but maybe not) spoilers for the later seasons:

Spoiler

When the race to become Barlet's successor got underway, I was almost only watching those scenes/episodes, FFing and skipping most of the White House stuff. The campaign storyline breathed new life into an old show and was the highlight of the post-Sorkin run. Any time I'd try to get back into the White House business, it did nothing for me. 

Thankfully (for me) there were entire episodes devoted solely to the campaign. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perversions_of_Science Whoa, I didn't know THAT existed either! Like, I have a twinkling of it in the very back of my memory but I don't think I ever watched an episode and if you didn't remind me I'd never try and look it up. The funny thing is I've probably seen all the Real Sex and Spawn episodes it aired between (I was like 14, of course I did) but couldn't recall the series at all. 

Here's one starring Jeffrey Combs, written by the one and only Dave Schow. I'll give it a chance. 

EDIT: Well, it wasn't bad. Combs gets to chew the scenery, Ron Perlman and David Warner show up, and the twist at the end is nasty. Now that I watch it again I do remember the show, exclusively for the cheap-ass CGI host pressing her nipple to open her breast and start the episode haha

• Like 1

Hot damn is this second disc of Tales Season 4 great. "The New Arrival" with David Warner (again) and Zelda Rubenstein was legit creepy. "Showdown" with a young David Morse (Treme, etc.) was hallucinatory and awesome and also a great western story that they took from Two-Fisted Tales, then "King of the Road" has Brad Pitt in full-on Kalifornia creepo sleazebag mode trying to goad Raymond J. Barry (the asshole police captain in Falling Down) into a drag race. StudioCanal apparently put their name on the last two for whatever reason, probably because they're both great. Seriously, if you get a chance, go out to of all places Walmart and grab these seasons, they rule. 

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, the music for "King of the Road" is written and performed by Warren fucking Zevon~!