DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Finished The Night Of. I'm completely spent. We watched the last 3 episodes with the final one being 90 minutes of anxiety. I certainly didn't see

Spoiler

The financial adviser being the killer, but I'm so happy they got him. Box confronting him was riveting. Box then walking out of the courtroom and the prosecutor losing her confidence was something else. When she said no to getting a new jury I had such a sense of relief because it meant they were going after the real killer.

At the same time, I felt awful for Nas, his family, and Chandra. So many lives ruined either for the interim or the long run. I think Nas' family will be ok in time, but now Nas is addicted to drugs and who knows if he winds up in prison again.

Stone and Box were such MVPs. I liked how this was as much about Stone as it was about Nas.

Finally, the fucking Yellow King was the judge. Holy shit.

A+ series. That was incredible tv to watch.

That makes a lot of sense, they haven't really been cancelling anything the past couple years while still doing new shows, so another night gives them some breathing room.

I can totally see either Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow being the lead-off show on Sundays.

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

Finished The Night Of. I'm completely spent. We watched the last 3 episodes with the final one being 90 minutes of anxiety. I certainly didn't see

Reveal hidden contents

The financial adviser being the killer, but I'm so happy they got him. Box confronting him was riveting. Box then walking out of the courtroom and the prosecutor losing her confidence was something else. When she said no to getting a new jury I had such a sense of relief because it meant they were going after the real killer.

At the same time, I felt awful for Nas, his family, and Chandra. So many lives ruined either for the interim or the long run. I think Nas' family will be ok in time, but now Nas is addicted to drugs and who knows if he winds up in prison again.

Stone and Box were such MVPs. I liked how this was as much about Stone as it was about Nas.

Finally, the fucking Yellow King was the judge. Holy shit.

A+ series. That was incredible tv to watch.

Spoiler

Going back to Nas' behaviour in the premiere, I really enjoyed the parts of the series which acknowledge and confront the fact that we first meet him in the hours prior to the murder and we didn't know all that much about him to begin with. I feel they answered any potential criticism head on in that way. 

Also, I remember reading several places at the time that some people didn't feel it was necessary for the show to reveal the killer, that the show is really about Nas and the people around him dealing with the judicial system. I tend to lean towards agreeing with that and I personally had no investment in the identity of the killer. How would you feel if the show had gone in that direction? 

Started binging Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee yesterday on Netflix and got through most of the first "collection" (since they aren't showing them chronologically for whatever reason). Alec Baldwin and Ricky Gervais eps are probably my favorites so far, plus I loved the Joel Hodgson ep just because my dad had that exact same Kharmann Ghia up until I was born. (It was green and he called her "Lucille" after the Chuck Berry song. Just sharing.)

Totally didn't realize Homeland started back last week, so I watched the first two episodes of the new season last night. Hot on the heels of their best season in a while, this one is looking to be quality as well. Takes our current political climate and turns it up to 11, really. And the whole thing with the ransomware was pretty badass. It went one way when I thought it was going to go in a completely different way, which is what I should have expected. Also them throwing in the "Carrie is taking her medication but just now finds out that over time it loses effectiveness" is an interesting wrinkle, I think. We, the viewer, know all of this is actually happening, but telling it to a regular citizen... yeah, it sounds like her medication isn't working (and it's possible it really isn't). I dunno I just really love this show, when it's good.

• Like 1

Variety reports that CBS has cast Jay Hernandez (Suicide Squad, Hostel, Friday Night Lights) in the title role for their reboot of Magnum P.I. The new version of the character is described quite similarly to the original version as “a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator.”

Also Justin Lin is supposedly directing the pilot