DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The hints really started piling up when they thought it was some guy they found online who looked a little too much like Perry. Good point about the kids thing, Craig. I watched it on the initial airing so it's been a while.  For some reason I was under the impression that he had seen Jane.

• Like 1

RE: Big Little Lies

Spoiler

I too guessed it was Perry - only when they showed how aggressive the sex was, though. That was definitely a "lightbulb over the head" moment. I didn't put much thought into that story before they tried to make it one. The bigger mystery was figuring out who had died, since they framed the entire series that way from the very beginning. It could have been anyone, and they wanted you think it could have been any of these people that would wind up on those stairs dead. The "who's the guy who got Jane pregnant" storyline wasn't even really that important to me - I honestly could have done without that bit of swerve storytelling, but overall the thing I was most concerned with while watching all 7 episodes was the murder, not the Jane stuff.

That said, I'm intrigued to find out why Celeste is covering for Bonnie. I'm down for a second season, but only if it's the same amount of episodes and there's no third season. That's pushing it, I think.

Netflix added season four of Halt and Catch Fire so I decided to binge the whole series.  Had already seen the first three seasons but it had been awhile so was in need of a refresher.

I liked the show even more the second time.  The last season is great, with pretty much perfect endings for everyone, even if at least one of them is not the ending you'd want for that particular character.  The first season especially really nails the feel for the times even if the characters of Donna and Cam don't quite fit the timeframe appearance-wise.  It does grate a little bit that the main characters seemingly invent or predict every major computer-related development of the last 30 years but I suppose that's OK.  We're also supposed to just forget that Boz hired some dirty cops to beat up Joe and see him as "lovable ole Boz".  Still, niggles aside, this is a really great show and I highly recommend it.  I'm a 1980s computer guy through-and-through so this show really, really spoke to me.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

Netflix added season four of Halt and Catch Fire so I decided to binge the whole series.  Had already seen the first three seasons but it had been awhile so was in need of a refresher.

I liked the show even more the second time.  The last season is great, with pretty much perfect endings for everyone, even if at least one of them is not the ending you'd want for that particular character.  The first season especially really nails the feel for the times even if the characters of Donna and Cam don't quite fit the timeframe appearance-wise.  It does grate a little bit that the main characters seemingly invent or predict every major computer-related development of the last 30 years but I suppose that's OK.  We're also supposed to just forget that Boz hired some dirty cops to beat up Joe and see him as "lovable ole Boz".  Still, niggles aside, this is a really great show and I highly recommend it.  I'm a 1980s computer guy through-and-through so this show really, really spoke to me.  

That final season wrecked me. Specifically, the last 3 episodes wrecked me. I didn't see that one moment coming at all and then how everyone picks up the pieces. The finale was tear city especially with Donna and Cam talking about what it might be like to do a business again.

One of the best uses of Solsbury Hill too.

Halt and Catch Fire stumbled a little bit on its journey, but it never faltered and the place it took us to was incredibly satisfying and gave a sense of actual completion you rarely get from a series. It's easily one of my favorite TV series. I want to do a rewatch of it again soon.

17 minutes ago, colonial said:

Freeform has green-lit a pilot for a "Party of Five" reboot. In this version, the five kids are left without parents because Mom and Dad were deported.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/party-of-five-reboot-latino-family-immigration-twist-freeform-put-pilot-commitment-1202245250/

I feel bad for the guy who thought Madam Secretary was getting a bit too heavy handed. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Today's lineup for the Paramount Network (ex-Spike): 

The Devil Wears Prada

Forrest Gump

Pitch Perfect

Lip Sync Battle

Friends

Don't worry, they're still playing Bellator and a Cops block until 3 AM tomorrow if you really need your fix haha

But... But... What about Bar Rescue?

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Do you mean Jon Taffer? Or did I miss something and CNN's Jake Tapper was hosting Bar Rescue for some reason?

Curt mentioned Bellator which basically got rid their best commentator for a referee and hired Mike Goldberg last year as well (hiring Mauro Ranallo too sorta offsets that I guess). Might as well throw money at Jake Tapper if they're spending money for no reason.

Okay - I was POSITIVE I had created one after the end of Season 1 but I can't fucking find it so clearly that was the Rippa on Alpha Prime who did it.

Anyway

A fitting first post all things considered.

I will move stuff over as I find it

• Like 2

On 1/18/2018 at 6:31 AM, Craig H said:

That final season wrecked me. Specifically, the last 3 episodes wrecked me. I didn't see that one moment coming at all and then how everyone picks up the pieces. The finale was tear city especially with Donna and Cam talking about what it might be like to do a business again.

One of the best uses of Solsbury Hill too.

Halt and Catch Fire stumbled a little bit on its journey, but it never faltered and the place it took us to was incredibly satisfying and gave a sense of actual completion you rarely get from a series. It's easily one of my favorite TV series. I want to do a rewatch of it again soon.

Yeah, you nailed it. 

Finished up The Last Post on Amazon. One scene in ep. 5 reminded me of this Python skit.

I spent four hours at a garage on Thursday getting the reefer on my work truck looked at. With ample time to kill I caught an episode of an old Western called Laramie on a channel called GRIT. Glad to see there are channels out there showing old shows besides MeTV and Antenna TV.