DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Anyone watch Big Little Lies? I was going to pass on it since I can't stand Reese WItherspoon and Shailene Woodley, but man, I'm hooked. I'm up to episode 6 I think and I just want to know where this is going. Anyone else give this a shot?

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Anyone watch Big Little Lies? I was going to pass on it since I can't stand Reese WItherspoon and Shailene Woodley, but man, I'm hooked. I'm up to episode 6 I think and I just want to know where this is going. Anyone else give this a shot?

I watched it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.  Some great performances from the entire cast, especially Kidman and Sarsgard, who was fucking terrifying.

My heart breaks for Ziggy and I'm not sure who I want to get killed more, Skarsgard or Dern. Their characters obviously. Maybe both.

And man, that reveal of what happened to Woodley's character and then her dream that someone was breaking into her house was intense.

• Like 1

The finale had its share of tense, awful moments that got my eyes wide as saucers. So you've still got plenty to look forward to.

I'm not sure season two can live up to the surprise hit that those seven episodes were, but of course all parties involved aren't going to say no to more money and the potential for more acclaim. I'll be interested to hear how you feel about another season once you're done the finale. 

• Like 1

Caught The Simpsons for the first time in years and years ("Frink Gets Testy")... not sure how it does over a full season anymore, but this was pretty damn funny in a vacuum. I died for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame joke.

• Like 1

Going back to the topic of "tv characters with ridiculous apt/houses that they couldn't afford in real life", I stumbled upon this infographic a while back. Poor Al Bundy. The Winslows from Family Matters were ballin though as are The Simpsons.

3029200-inline-i-1-full-sitcom-houses.jp

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The finale had its share of tense, awful moments that got my eyes wide as saucers. So you've still got plenty to look forward to.

I'm not sure season two can live up to the surprise hit that those seven episodes were, but of course all parties involved aren't going to say no to more money and the potential for more acclaim. I'll be interested to hear how you feel about another season once you're done the finale. 

Holy shit. That finale. Wow. So, I really loved it. I'm not exactly sure if I want a season 2 because I think that soils some of the integrity of how it ended. Some things should be left to interpretation. I really don't want to spoil much, but season 2 would just be more about these relationships, which would remind me a lot of Togetherness. I loved Togetherness mainly because I connected with it and the stuff between Ed and Madeline is fairly similar.

My heart goes out to Ed. Holy shit do I identify with that character. I've been in those shoes. It's sad and fascinating to watch.

The one final holy shit moment from the finale that has me wondering is...

Spoiler

Is Perry the rapist? Did he rape Jane and is he Ziggy's dad?

Mega intense finale. At times it felt a little too David E. Kelly-y, but most of the time it was his best work. Everyone acted their asses off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm only like 25 minutes into Big Little Lies and I already hate every single character except Shailene Woodley's. Oh my god.

Not really a spoiler so I won't tag it as such, but one of the very cool things about this show is how the characters appear to be one-note and awful at first, but then more about them is revealed and they become, if not likable, at least understandable instead of off-putting.

I actually reached a point where I liked the Woodley character the least, but I can't decide if it's because her character was actually the most one-note of all, or if it's because she was the most lightweight, acting ability wise, of the main actresses on the show.

Yeah, there's a character I straight up hated and then did a complete 180 on in episode 6. If there's anyone I really don't like, it's Madeline, for somewhat obvious reasons. As for my question in the spoiler

Spoiler

The reason I'm on the fence if Perry was actually the rapist was because that's way too fucking convenient and too huge of a coincidence. It could have been Jane flashing back because something violent was about to happen and that's the face she saw in her flashback, but Perry wasn't the actual rapist. He was just the face she saw at that moment because he was about to do something terrible.

That actually brings to mind something else about season 2

Spoiler

I think it's fucking dumb to have this contrivance with the detective thinking there was some big conspiracy to murder Perry. She doesn't believe any of the friends. Perry is beating the shit out of Celeste and is probably going to kill her. Perry assaults the other women as they try to stop him. Then Bonnie runs in for the save and the story is that Perry fell down the stairs or might have been fought off to fall down the stairs where he died. Fucking look at Celeste!  She got the shit kicked out of her and it's during Celeste's questioning that the detective doesn't believe any of them? What kind of fucking sense does that make? And it's not that she just doesn't believe them, it's that she almost believes this was premeditated. The other detective was right to say to let it go.

So if season 2 is more about digging into what happened and trying to jail all of these women, then fuck that. That's fucking dumb tv. That's like turning what happened in the finale into Vic Mackey shooting Terry Crowley in the head. And if that's what season 2 is, then I'm out. I'm not even sure I want to watch season 2 be about Jane moving on with Tom, Ed and Madeline's marriage falling apart, or how Celeste moves on post-Perry.

Now, if season 2 were an action comedy based around murdering all of the other shitty parents that were questioned as witnesses, then I'd be all in because fuck all of them. They're the worst.

No idea how they really even pull off a season two, but I'm willing to give it a shot. The growing list of motives, suspects and potential victims really made season 1 so magical. You could really see it going in a bunch of different directions right up until episode 6 or so.

I called the Perry is Jane's rapist reveal super early in the series. The first hints came early when Perry was super intense about his kid's staying away from Ziggy. Considering his terribleness, it was way out of character for him to give a shit about the girl getting bit. 

Calling it early or not, that moment of realization where Celeste recognizes Jane's recognition of Perry is legit one of the best moments HBO has ever put on screen.

Kidman was really a step above everyone else in this. Glad she is getting all the praise.

• Like 1

How to begin this? I really like Madam Secretary. You could consider it a 2nd rate version of The West Wing, but it's usually relatively easily digestible TV with a very optimistic (and encouraging) view on how the big problems in this world could be fixed if everybody had good intentions. The characters are likeable etc. However last Sunday's episode was close to a jumping-the-shark (let's hope there is no filter for that) episode. The main point of the episode seemed to be to say "dear administration, there is a way to get rid of him" which was not presented subtly at all. Plus there was a huge plot hole that was used to hit the reset button at the end. The episode might have worked better if there was any setup in a previous episode (or any future payoff and a later one) for the main story but there was none and there will be none.

Oh, and this is not meant to be any political commentary, the whole thing would be just as insulting if H. Clinton would be in office right now.

51 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Ditto @Jrag re:

Hide contents

guessing very early that Perry was the rapist. In fact, I figured it was so obvious I twisted myself into knots trying to figure out who else could be the rapist. I settled on Ed because I suck at going with my gut for whodunnits. 

Here's the thing though...

Spoiler

It was completely normal for Perry to not want his boys to play with Ziggy. He's an uber controlling father. Also, he had NO idea that Ziggy was his son. In fact, the first time Perry sees Jane or Jane sees Perry is in the finale at the top of the stairs. That's the first time. The only friend Celeste can have over is Madeline and my guess is Perry allowed that because Madeline is that much of a force of nature. Jane doesn't hang out at Celeste's house. In fact, most times Jane and Celeste are together is when Perry is out of town.

It's a good guess and all to see that Perry was the rapist, but it was a guess made off of a false assumption.

I'm still not convinced Perry is the rapist. It's entirely possible that Perry became the avatar for Jane's rapist in her flashback because of what was about to happen. Jane's spidey sense went off and maybe she inserted Perry into her flashback as a way to see that this man is dangerous.

If I'm wrong, then that's fine. I've accepted bigger coincidences in TV shows and movies.

And fuck Perry. What a piece of shit. One of the biggest ever on TV. His death wasn't bad enough. He should have gone out like the Viper did against the Mountain.

EDIT: Derp. I should have looked online first. I'm wrong. That's fine, that reveal was still shocking as fuck. I didn't see it coming until they were in front of each other.