DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'll give Friends credit for one thing: it was WAY ahead of the curve on the whole "TV shows with zero likable characters" trend.

I've probably seen 20ish total episodes of that show and, literally, I laughed at one joke total. And even then, we're talking a light chuckle. I've imagined the painful deaths of every one if the main characters multiple times though.

• Like 1

Hot take or not, it's still true. Seinfeld is to me what Friends is to Fowler, except I never laughed at a joke on that show. I really don't understand how I can hate that show, but love Curb Your Enthusiasm, though. Plus I see so many Seinfeld videos posted in threads on this board that it's hard to tell if people actually like it or are using it as a meme. Regardless, the show sucks.

41 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'll give Friends credit for one thing: it was WAY ahead of the curve on the whole "TV shows with zero likable characters" trend.

I've probably seen 20ish total episodes of that show and, literally, I laughed at one joke total. And even then, we're talking a light chuckle. I've imagined the painful deaths of every one if the main characters multiple times though.

That was my point.

Friends is better than Seinfeld

And I love this FRIENDS HAD NO LIKEABLE CHARACTERS~! trope when Seinfeld's entire finale was based around the 4 main characters being unlikable people.

• Like 1

I like, don't love, Seinfeld, but I think the obvious difference here is that the Seinfeld characters were intentionally unlikable and such, while Friends was just really terrible television.

• Like 3

I started my planned rewatch of Max Headroom tonight.  Things that stuck out:

1) man, that is a fake-ass skyline.

2) you can tell the pilot was re-shot from a British script because nobody has bothered to Americanize terms like "pensioner" to "retiree" and "presenter" to "host."

3) I would have been way more excited to remember Jeffrey Tambor in this a few months back. George Coe and Jere Burns are still welcome surprises, and Gorrister seems familiar but is uncredited.

4) weird fact, the guy who played Bryce in the UK pilot mostly retired from acting but he wrote 2016's THE FOREST about Aokigahara at the foot of Fuji, which is in the news today.

32 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I started my planned rewatch of Max Headroom tonight.  Things that stuck out:

1) man, that is a fake-ass skyline.

2) you can tell the pilot was re-shot from a British script because nobody has bothered to Americanize terms like "pensioner" to "retiree" and "presenter" to "host."

3) I would have been way more excited to remember Jeffrey Tambor in this a few months back. George Coe and Jere Burns are still welcome surprises, and Gorrister seems familiar but is uncredited.

4) weird fact, the guy who played Bryce in the UK pilot mostly retired from acting but he wrote 2016's THE FOREST about Aokigahara at the foot of Fuji, which is in the news today.

5. AMANDA PAYS! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

After the weird last season and complete piece of shit final episode, HIMYM deserves any insults given and more. . . .

We just retconned it from our life. I’d be very curious if syndication numbers dropped heavily after the last episode.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Casey said:

HIMYM wishes it was Friends.

I make no judgment on the quality of either show, just that the structure is basically identical in terms of characters.