DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Apparently there's a Mad About You revival in the works - with Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt returning.

The new episodes would reportedly revolve around Paul and Jamie dealing with empty-nest syndrome after their daughter Mabel’s admission to college.

I mean if that is the case then why not just revive Empty Nest?

I didn't get to catch too much of the Twilight Zone marathon this year, but the one I saw reminded me about those handful of episodes where they experimented with taping it on video. It looks awful. I'm glad they realized it and went back to 35mm.  

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently there's a Mad About You revival in the works - with Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt returning.

I'm kinda happy that this probably means they'll retconn the awful final season of the show.  The last season portrayed them as unlikable people who fell out of love, and eventually separated.  The season finale took place 22 years after Mabel's birth (post-college) and showed them getting back together after she made her first film.  Complete abomination of a season that destroyed the charm and premise of the show and was poorly executed.

• Like 1

I'm all for Mad About You returning, if for no other reason to see if they recast Jamie's parents again. Really what MAY had going for it was a pretty greate ensemble especailly Richard Kind

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

I'm all for Mad About You returning, if for no other reason to see if they recast Jamie's parents again. Really what MAY had going for it was a pretty greate ensemble especailly Richard Kind

James

My favorite thing about it is that it is a hugely important joint in the Tommy Westphal universe since they brought on Carl Reiner in the character of Alan Brady, thus establishing the main connection between all the modern shows in the TWU and all the historical shows that show up there.

• Like 1

We burned through Marvelous Mrs Maisel over the last 24 hours... it is fabulous and we can't wait for S2. One of those rare shows about stand-up comedy where the routines are legitimately funny to the viewer as well as in-universe. "Pot roast! The Methodist brisket!" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

We burned through Marvelous Mrs Maisel over the last 24 hours... it is fabulous and we can't wait for S2. One of those rare shows about stand-up comedy where the routines are legitimately funny to the viewer as well as in-universe. "Pot roast! The Methodist brisket!" 

That line had me laughing so hard that The Wife had to pause the episode for 10 minutes so I could get it out of my system

James

• Like 1

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams debuts on Amazon Prime on 12 Jan.

The Magicians picks up again on Syfy this month, so hopefully I won't have to wait too long for Killjoys and The Expanse to pick up again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Count me among those who finished and loved Mrs Maisel. Did not see that coming.

Do we talk about the Dave Chappelle specials here or in the harassment thread? :P 

God.  I nearly shit myself laughing while watching the Chappelle stuff on Netflix.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm about at the end of Season 1. The little speech Sam gave about the issue of the future being privacy/freedom and the internet was really chilling to hear in 2017/8.

Sam really is the king of making great speeches in S1, Season 2 the torch is passed to Bartlett full time. The rumors of continuing West Wing always intrigue me as they'd either have to get a whole new cast or have Sorkin fulfill Bartlett's prophecy for Sam, which means wooing Rob Lowe away from his current show.

James

On 1/1/2018 at 11:23 PM, Casey said:

When do we get a revival of Friends? C'mon, damnit.

Unrelated but I started the West Wing the other night and hooooly shit, this is a really good show.

The Friends revival has been done.  It was called How I Met Your Mother.

Where have you been on West Wing?  It's my #1 show of all-time.  I love that it's super-smart and expects the audience to keep up.